Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

passed CA smog test (by the short hairs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

OK Boris - I know this is going way back, but do you have an update? My 95 recently passed, but it was like yours on the high side. Did a new o2 sensor help you with lower emmisions?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Could be tired cats, but excessive hydrocarbons could be from excessive oil...

Originally Posted by Boris Teksler
So I passed my CA smog dyno test by the short hairs.

The test is conducted at 15mph and 25mph

For the 15mph test: Hydrocarbons max 50, average 13, measured: 46.

For the 25mph test: Hydrocarbons max 85, average 21, measured 64.

I was not pleased with how "dirty" my car runs and having a wife who is an avid environmental scientist (i hate to admit these #s to her) I feel like I should do something about it.

I've had a full tune-up about 3k miles ago, so i don't think it is spark plugs.
I've never changed the O2 sensor. But then the CEL isn't on and since there are no faults i keep thinking it is ok. Is it possible to have a lazy O2 sensor?

Could it be my cats are tired?

Could it be lots of carbon buildup?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Boris
consumption.

Things to help your car next time:

1) Change oil/filter before test. Fresh clean oil is less inclined to make it past rings, seals compared to older oil.

2) A tank or two before oil change, run a bottle or two of Techron through engine. This helps clean injectors which if dirty can deliver lousy injection spray patterns which can negatively affect combustion efficiency. Also removes intake valve deposits which can affect air flow into chamber which can also negatively affect combustion efficiency.

3) Several tanks before smog inspection, switch to using quality name brand gasoline and buy from a very busy station so you get fresh gasoline in tank.

(Re number 3 above: You should always strive to run a high quality gas of the proper octane grade and bought from a busy station to ensure gas is as fresh as you can find.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a turbo eclipse that I smogged, and it passed RIGHT at the maximum. I had an aftermarket cat on there that had over 100k miles of use on it. A new one cleaned it right up, in a dramatic way. My money would be on a new cat, but I'll bet the o2 sensor is a cheap route to take in your quest. I, too, am interested in this. Smog test always scares me. I've never had a car that didn't have some issue with smog. Of course, I have never had a car I didn't modify either. . .
-terry
Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have to do a smog test by mid-January....and my car is NOT stock...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:03 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I have to do a smog test by mid-January....and my car is NOT stock...
If you have doubts - I understand that you can get a pre-test that is not reported to the DMV for a nominal charge. Good to do if you dont want to get black-balled.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I always do a pre-test and only if it passes do the real test. I had a situation where I passed the pre-test and 5 minutes later failed the real test! Eventually got it squared away.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Borris, was your car REALLY warmed up? Like thoroughly as warm as you can get it (legally)? The cat needs to be hot to work the best.

Too bad you cant get a smog check at the track. Pull off the track after your session is over, nice hot car...
I did two checks in two days. One when the car was cold and one when it warn hot. There was a drastic difference. Hot car run much cleaner.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took mine in last month & passed... btw: it was aft. a mini road trip home & car was hot. (recent oil change & new filters, @ less than 300miles )

3rd time passing w/o any issues.

Quick Reply: passed CA smog test (by the short hairs)