Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member with a c4s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Car looks great and those seats are fantastic.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:57 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Car looks great and those seats are fantastic.
Thank you mr.
I like how they ended up. Now I just need to get my rears finished off in the same configuration and it will be complete
Old 03-24-2021, 09:20 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Progress is slow these days but most of the parts have arrived. The new cams, clutchkit, enginemounts, transmission mount, bolts, instrument lightbulbs have all arrived.
The 3.8 kit is stuck in customs for weeks and the fabspeed x-pipe sports cat is not shipped yet. There will be more parts required, but we’ll have to adjust once the engine is disassembled.

Once the 3.8 kit arrives, my enginebuilder can start the work. I belive this will be a great engine boost without going too much over the top. Im keeping the hydraulic lifters, the DM flywheel and try to fulfill the goal of a sportier engine than original, but with the same endurance as a original engine.
That will be perfect for the street I think.

The old Audi S2 avant I built, I ended up with an too stiff suspension and too fast engine (450hp/550nm), so I try to avoid ending up in the same fallpit as that project.

If anyone have some techart foglights for sale, please PM me as im looking for a complete set of those for my car.

As always, pictures to follow

Some of the parts have arrived.

Picking up the car after engine drop in 2020.

I have two cars now, and both without engines. Wife is not very impressed.

Following is a blast from the past of my old Audi S2 avant build for those of you that is interested.

Finished after 6 years apart. Everything was new.

My old Audi S2 at the dyno. Nervewrecking to watch.

This is how my vision of an fast audi estate should look and be back in 2011. 450hp/550nm engine w/ full boost on 3200rpm. Completely calculated and blueprinted engine made it run very well.

At its place in the garage in front of the mustang logo.

Rs6 brakes under OEM avus wheels and H&R clubsport coilovers, stiff bushings on all corners and adjustable camberplates made the heavy front weighted car handle great.
The following users liked this post:
INTMD8 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:13 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Love the Audi S2 avant! I also love the B5 RS4 wagon but too bad those wasn't available in the states before.

Andy
Old 05-06-2021, 04:06 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akrca4
Love the Audi S2 avant! I also love the B5 RS4 wagon but too bad those wasn't available in the states before.

Andy
thanks!

Yeah, those old estates are lots of fun with the group b engine sounds and its soccer mom / sheep in wolfskin apperance. The B5s are also fantastic cars and their apperance is perfect. Audi has gone a bit too wild and aggressive in their RS stance these days sadly. Nice s4 you have/had by the way. Great do it all cars.

The 993 recently got the main internals for the engine so now the rebuild can finally start.
As I stated with the engine plan further up, it looks like im going exactly as planned. Most parts have arrived and there is still some on the way.
I have the new uprated clutch kit for the DM flywheel, but I have been thinking too much lately about going for a SM flywheel instad, which makes me unsure of what to do. Lots of reading and experiences that makes me go the a different direction each day, so now im stranded in the middle scratching my head. Suggestions is welcome from the audience.

I have started plating parts as well and its fun once you get the hang of it. The positive side is that now I can plate all my stuff the way I want it to look and never worry again about lost bolt/nuts or the extra time it requires.

The plan is to do a full cleaning of all engine parts inspect and refurbish if possible. The parts that need replacing will be replaced and I’ll replate the parts that needs plating, to acheieve that new engine look and feel again.

As for when will it be finished, my hopes are during this summer, but we’ll see, right?

Picturs as always (or it didnt happen)

3.8 pistons & cylinders, 11,4:1 compression

3.8 pistons, 11,4:1 compression

3.8 pistons, 11,4:1 compression

My engine in its current sad state

Gearbox needs some work and cleaning as well

993 bits to plate. Bits are media blasted with water and glass beads (spheres not flakes) for best result like original from factory

993 bits finished plated. Happy with the results. Not too shiny or dull, but right in the middle.

End result of my restored fan for project Kermit. The centrepiece I had to try five times(!) to get it right. Rest of the fan is mediablasted with glass spheres and painted with cerakote c105.

Rinse, rinse like never before. I usually wear gloves as you dont want these acids on your hands.

Plating setup. The dark red container is the yellow passivate that makes parts shine like gold. Round bucket to the left is the chromate bath.

Failure is a part of learning. It did only require four redoings which is an hour work and two days of drying each time. Lol

Project Kermit with some of its new bits lined up for counting and planning.

Special pistons for Kermits internals. Mahle 10,3:1 RSR domes.

I got hold of the last set of these in Europe. Dont know the hold of that statement though

Cheers,
Anders

Last edited by ClassicAndy; 05-06-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I love my single mass flywheel. Great upgrade if you want to sharpen the car a bit.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I love my single mass flywheel. Great upgrade if you want to sharpen the car a bit.
thanks for the reply.

Do you have any chatter from the disc at idle, clutch not engaged?
And what specific flywheel and clutch did you choose? I see there is lots of diffrent flywheels and clutches to choose from, which makes me hold back so I dont order the wrong one.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:09 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Looking good! Love your plating operation and how the bits turn out. Can't wait to see it all come together.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:28 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

My car has a light weight flywheel, If you are willing to travel to Telemark I'll be happy to give you a ride along (as soon as it is ready).

Last edited by KSira; 05-07-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
thanks for the reply.

Do you have any chatter from the disc at idle, clutch not engaged?
And what specific flywheel and clutch did you choose? I see there is lots of diffrent flywheels and clutches to choose from, which makes me hold back so I dont order the wrong one.
Small amount of chatter. I only notice it if I’m paying attention. Basically drowned out by engine noise and is a non issue. Engine revs faster, pulls harder in lower gears, downshifts are crisper, and overall feel is exactly how I’d want a 993 to feel. Clutch pedal is stiffer which some may not like but I do. It feels more in keeping with stiffness of brakes and steering so that all the inputs feel aligned. It’s also harder for a new driver to drive since it’s easier to bog down and kill the engine. You won’t notice it after one drive, bit if you let someone else drive, they’ll need some instruction. Overall the upgrade makes the car feel that much more special.

Edit: this is the kit - https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD116905/...t-lbs-max.html

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 05-07-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:46 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Looking good! Love your plating operation and how the bits turn out. Can't wait to see it all come together.
Thank you. Yes, exactly! Thats my main drive right there.

Originally Posted by KSira
My car has a light weight flywheel, If you are willing to travel to Telemark I'll be happy to give you a ride along (as soon as it is ready).
Yes, That would be nice. Where abouts in Telemark are you located? Do you also have the fvd lightweight clutch package? Is your car a NA or Turbo?

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Small amount of chatter. I only notice it if I’m paying attention. Basically drowned out by engine noise and is a non issue. Engine revs faster, pulls harder in lower gears, downshifts are crisper, and overall feel is exactly how I’d want a 993 to feel. Clutch pedal is stiffer which some may not like but I do. It feels more in keeping with stiffness of brakes and steering so that all the inputs feel aligned. It’s also harder for a new driver to drive since it’s easier to bog down and kill the engine. You won’t notice it after one drive, bit if you let someone else drive, they’ll need some instruction. Overall the upgrade makes the car feel that much more special.

Edit: this is the kit - https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD116905/...t-lbs-max.html
Appreciate the detailed review!
Good point on the chatter drowned by exhaust sounds. I’ll be running the fabspeed sport x-pipe combined with the gert RSR mufflers, so sound should be a tad more than stock potentially drowning the chatter on my car.

A more responsive engine through the rpm range sounds promising. Would you say the singlemass flywheel upgrade impacts the ability to cruise along in traffic as a singlemass flywheel has less rotational mass to maintain the rolling momentum compared to the dual mass flywheel?

Stiffer pedal can be accounted for by changing the pressureplate I think.

Again, appreciate the detaild review Tlaloc75. It sheds light on some unanswerd questions I have
Old 05-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Yea, the stiffer pedal is pressure plate alone. Can be avoided when you select your kit if you prefer it soft.

I don’t notice any difference in ability to cruise. And the effects are nearly gone by third gear anyway. In terms of engine feel, I really only notice the freer revs in first and second. Maybe a little in third, but that could be my imagination. Downshifts are nicer everywhere of course.

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 05-10-2021 at 09:43 AM.
ClassicAndy (05-10-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:54 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

The project is well under way. Enigne is now completely disassembled and ready for status check, measurements and cleaning of all parts.
All new parts are aquired and ready to mount (except some of the wear items which we need to handle as we go).

I recently got a ride in friends 993 with a LWFW, and its a really great mod for a quicker engine rpm pickup. After a bit back and forth thinking pros/cons, I have decided keeping the dual mass flywheel. I really want to retain much of the original drivability of the car in order to maintain my iteration of a gentlemans car / 993 4S in Touring spec
I recently took apart the varioram intake and saw all the oil that has probably been there for a few thousand miles. Im suprised by the ammount of oil inside the intake and it took quite the time and effort to remove it all. I did contemplate to lightly sand and polish the runners, but ditched the idea as I have read not enough about air entry, mix and runners construction.I leave it up to the Porsche engineers. As for cleaning, I ended up using ACH acid in concentrate for to clean the oil that had stuck to the aluminum components. I also replated some of the bolts and clamps as they were fully functioning, but did look very tired. I wanted to achieve a OE look, but with a bit of bling to it 😅.

The gearbox Is cleaned and ready to go back in the car. Gears, syncros and box itself works great, so no need to modify those bits (yet). Oil is also recently changed, so I will not touch that. The only thing I was thinking about is replacing the LSD discs in the differential. I dont have control if they actually work or if they are worn out. I have read some about the guard LSD clutch plates as an optional upgrade, but thinking OE would be ok enough for me should a change be reqired.
Does anyone have input on how to test/ inspect the discs with the box out of the car?
Is the LSD clutch plates swap a big job? Do I understand correctly that one have to set the diff ramp up all over again when putting it back in, and that is quite a job.

I also recived the fabspeed x-pipe a while back from John@fabspeed, (thanks John). The packaging and product looks seriously good and professional. Im in doubt if I should ceramic coat it or not
I just got back the reflashed ecu from FVD to accomodate all engine mods as well. As I have the US 96 model ECU this far from the cheapest of upgrades for chipping. FVD included a filename, date and customer sticker on the ecu, which makes it easy to send in for adjustments later on.

Pictures:

FVD dme recieved

Unloved and not cared for

Finished and ready for rest of the new engine

End result

Process

Dirty left, cleaned to the right.

Oil

No oil

Kremits new shoes

Oil all over

More aluminium to clean

3.6 m64 in parts

3.6 m64 in parts

120k miles of grime

After wash

RS mounts

Fabuless delivery from fabspeed

Replated AC bracket

Clean enginebay

Last edited by ClassicAndy; 07-25-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Fabspeed Motorsport (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:17 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

i would love to find an S2 Avant. looking for one of those or the 850R i'm also trying to find is harder than trying to find a mint 993 C4S in a rare color.

my previous 95.5 urS6 is still one of my favorite cars to this day.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:31 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i would love to find an S2 Avant. looking for one of those or the 850R i'm also trying to find is harder than trying to find a mint 993 C4S in a rare color.

my previous 95.5 urS6 is still one of my favorite cars to this day.
Great taste in cars you have there, both models are excellent cars.
S2 avants you can find for sale frequently at both mobile.de or in the nordic contries internet car sales site(s). They are usually high milage and not so well cared for, so its challenging to find a good example.
The 850 R is also great cars. Got basicly the same engineblock as the Audis. I still love the understated attitude of the 90s boxed powerwagons.
If you are interested I can assist you with some examples of those models that is for sale around here?

Quick Reply: New member with a c4s