993 Forum 1995-1998

Help identifing this audio/BT installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help identifing this audio/BT installation

My recently purchased 97 C4S came with a Kenwood head unit, a Kenwood bluetooth module under the glove box, ipod connector and three items I can't identify. I'd like to remove it all and install a Classic Radio, what might the challenges be? I do not know how much of the harness has been modified. The stock Nokia amp under the passenger seat is still in place.

Does anyone know what the follow are?
1. rectangular flat antenna under rear window.
2. infrared (I believe) sensor taped to rear view miror
3. amp/pre-amp? behind rear seats

Any advice much appreciated.
Attached Images        
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't know about any of the other items, but in the last photo, it appears that your spoiler control module is unplugged.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:49 PM
Bubbleboy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black box with the coax running into it looks like a cell phone receiver/booster. The antenna is what’s attached to the window. As for the device behind the mirror, I would assume a radar/laser detector?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Don't know about any of the other items, but in the last photo, it appears that your spoiler control module is unplugged.
The wall has a tear in it so I unplugged it.

Originally Posted by Bubbleboy
The black box with the coax running into it looks like a cell phone receiver/booster. The antenna is what’s attached to the window. As for the device behind the mirror, I would assume a radar/laser detector?
That helps and makes sense, thanks. The device behind the mirror I will just need to trace back to the source. It thought it was an added security system but see nothing else to support that.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:05 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
My recently purchased 97 C4S came with a Kenwood head unit, a Kenwood bluetooth module under the glove box, ipod connector and three items I can't identify. Edit/delete text ..
What model number Kenwood HU?

See if you can reasonably $ source one of the period correct Becker/Porsche CR210 and CDR210 head unit radio's which were fitted to the MY97 C4S.

When coupled with one of the many contemporary DSP/amplification modules (providing AUX, BT, Full DSP suite and digital I/O, DAC) you will be in business. Basically the original radio serves as AM/FM and/or CD playback sources.
As example: miniDSP, Mosconi, Alpine, Audio Control, HelixDSP and others.

DSP filtering goes a long way in an automotive interior environment.

Here's simplified tutorial :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pYzfP7Plc
Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
What model number Kenwood HU?

See if you can reasonably $ source one of the period correct Becker/Porsche CR210 and CDR210 head unit radio's which were fitted to the MY97 C4S.

When coupled with one of the many contemporary DSP/amplification modules (providing AUX, BT, Full DSP suite and digital I/O, DAC) you will be in business. Basically the original radio serves as AM/FM and/or CD playback sources.
As example: miniDSP, Mosconi, Alpine, Audio Control, HelixDSP and others.

DSP filtering goes a long way in an automotive interior environment.

Here's simplified tutorial :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pYzfP7Plc
It's a KDC-MP738U, with an animated screen that's frankly unbearable...my wife's first comment after sitting the car was "what is THAT for?".

Thanks for the DSP suggestion, looks like that would entail more wiring and mods.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
It's a KDC-MP738U, with an animated screen that's frankly unbearable...my wife's first comment after sitting the car was "what is THAT for?".

Thanks for the DSP suggestion, looks like that would entail more wiring and mods.
Actually not. Many DSP/amplification type modules can be located under the passenger seat; as is the OEM Nokia amp module now. Then utilize the C4S #490 HiFi options pwr +/- and speaker wiring. Reuse or replace the OE radio to Nokia signal cable. It is ISO terminated at the radio side and DIN (round 8 pin) terminated at the Nokia amp side. It's a simple, singular cable, fitted in the wiring trough located under the passenger side floor -to- firewall area.

Quick Reply: Help identifing this audio/BT installation