Sponsored by:

I'm NOT gonna sell my 993...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
96P993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good decision!!!
I suppose you can STAY ON THE BOARD!!!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 AM
midwest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 993tt and a '59 Convertible D.

The '59 is my favorite car to drive when I just want to take nice country roads around.

The 993tt is an amazing car, but so good that it is basically my daily driver (though I have a sedan I drive often).

New(er) cars are basically too competent to ever evoke the fun that the older ones have with all their compromises.

And as much as I love the looks of the 993, a 356 is just more incredible.

And everyone smiles at a 356.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:12 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Glad you're keeping it...I'm still SERIOUSLY missing my C4S. I'm beginning to think I made a major mistake letting my car go.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear that you are keeping it, Bozo!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg,

Basically you have the same sickness as I do ....you are a car guy (and most likely a Porsche fanatic… which is the most expensive type of car guy(except a Ferrari car guy but that is another discussion))....half the fun of owning the car is looking for the car and learning everything about it. Then after you have had it for a while you get a little bored and you start thinking....hmmm wouldn't it be great to get this or that or this, etc. You get obsessed with wanting something different. The patience thing is something I struggle with every day I love cars but I can't afford all the cars I want. I went through a period of 4 years (prior to getting the 993) where I changed cars every 11 months (323, A4, M3, Boxster, 993). Maybe not the best financial moves, but it sure was fun. I have kept the 993 the longest of any car since I have acquired the financial stability to afford some of these cars (25 months in counting). However, I still have temptations and regrets ….to help you my confessions are…. I want a 944t to play with. I sort of regret not getting a C4S. I want a 993tt. A 944t or 944s2 dedicated track car would be awesome. I really like the new GT3 (thankfully way out of my price range see also 993tt). I have flirted with the idea of 996. The Boxster S is an awesome car and I miss things about my Boxster. I like the idea of getting a 98’ Boxster and transplanting a 996 engine in for sub 3000 lb. mid engine roadster with over 300 hp. Unfortunately I really can’t afford (or justify) doing any of these and also owning my 993. I have had 3 serious discussions in the last 5 months about selling the 993 and pursuing one of the above but have not acted. So as you see there are others out there.

The first step in living with this disease is accepting that you have it. You already have the all important support network (the spouse that appreciates the cars but is more patient than you) that will some times actually be the voice of reason. Boards like this are mixed bag of support and temptation. Use at your own peril. People like Mike in Chi are double edged swords…analyze everything they say...Mike is vert wise but yet if you look at his signature he has the same sickness but chooses not accept it and does not the same temptation as you and I because he already has his fix taken care of (2 993’s and a track car?). He has the disease but chooses to live on its impulses (Mike you know I am just jealous and you are my hero) Another thing…modifications are like a mini fix but yet they spiral you further down the hole because they consume the all important funds that possibly could bring you to the level of Mike. Some on the board have blind faith in the 993 and are good for grounding people like us….but beware as many have the same sickness but are unwilling to face the fact. I hate to break it to you but, there really isn’t any cure for the disease (except for winning the Powerball or a large inheritance, which really doesn’t cure the disease it merely mask the symptoms with the ability to buy all your impulses, but then I have a theory the disease just balloons into things like the desire to have actual Ferrari GTO or Daytona, or 911RS, 959, Spyder, etc.). Good luck with your struggle
Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Well, Brian, it's nice to know I am not alone...

The only thing that does not help me at this point is that my previous 356 appreciated each year (let's say remained stable in price if you discounted maintenance). That cannot be said of the 993. Presumably I could pick up another one in a coupleof years (say a C4S or TT, like you I should have!) at a substantial discount.

But yeah, it's a tough decision... I did not realize my wife liked the 993 as much as she does, and that makes it tougher still - for once she likes one of my porsche, wow ! Oh well, I checked the trends on 356s and it's only a slight appreciation in price, so a nice 20K car might be $22K when I can afford it... Not that big a deal. I need to put a sock in it and stop behaving like a spoiled brat. I got a 993 for pete's sake ! then again if the right opportunity came along... (shoot me)

Quick Reply: I'm NOT gonna sell my 993...