Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Euro-spec radio work in the US?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:48 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will a Euro-spec radio work in the US?!?

Any radio experts out there?!?

If I install a Euro-spec radio, will it pick up US AM/FM radio stations? I recall that the spacing between the FM stations are different in the US vs Europe, and that one spec will work in the other country but not vice versa...

TIA
Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

what'd you get David? Did you get the monza?
Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

EDIT: FM radio broadcasting have differences between USA and Europe. North American FM broadcast channels are on the odd 200KHz frequencies: 99.5MHz, 100.1MHz, etc. In Europe, channels can be on any multiple of 100KHz, even or odd.

This means that some digital tuner from the USA will not tune European stations properly. But a european tuner will work in the US.

FM stations in Europe use a different pre-emphasis than those in North America, 75 and 50 microseconds respectively. Using wrong pre-emphasis has effect on the frequency response in reception. A european tuner in the US will need a slight treble boost, a US tuner in Europe will need a slight treble attenuation.

I have no idea about AM but I think the tuning interval is even more of an issue there.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:03 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jeff 993TT
what'd you get David? Did you get the monza?
Jeff - I am thinking of getting a Traffic-Pro. Prices have come down quite a bit recently (Crutchfield has them for $800) but ebay in Europe (esp Germany) has listings for them at a fraction of the price (Euro 250-400). Assuming these would work in the US, the only thing I would then need would be the CDs with US maps.

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
that's true. Most tuners use standard spacing which is different between the 2 continents. It will still work as a radio, but you will miss a lot of stations. Some designs should still work with both.

What are the FM intervals in the US? In Europe they are 0.1 MHz

I think that the spacing issue applies more to AM than FM.

There is also a difference in the FM pre-emphasis added. I think one continent is 50 microseconds and the other is 75. Forget which is which. That just means that you will get slightly more or less treble depending on which equipment you use where.
Graham - I have no idea what the frequency spacing is in the US...I'm a stereo neophyte so was hoping someone here may have tried to do something similar.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:07 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

you guys are quick - I edited my post, but you've already responded
Old 12-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

cool david... You know, the online pro has mp3 capability...
Old 12-09-2003, 01:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jeff 993TT
cool david... You know, the online pro has mp3 capability...
One of the reasons I am looking at the TrafficPro is b/c I'd like to ditch my CD changer and get a PhatBox, I really don't need navigation. The CDR220 is also compatible with a Phatbox but it will not give a visual display of the MP3 tracks, only an audible one.

Quick Reply: Will a Euro-spec radio work in the US?!?