Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Give your feedback on these billet aluminum caps!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
In being totally above board, how about posting a photo of what the cap looks like as priced and not as embellished with the Porsche crest, since that is NOT what is actually being sold!

To sell as PICTURED/ADVERTISED, Wheel Dynamics would need pay for authorization from Porsche, along with a fee on each unit/set sold.

I have a 964 for sale, $70k. (As pictured $350k)

I don't claim to know or care how others feel; I personally find it misleading to advertise an item without an actual photo of the item as sold.
Lighten up Francis. Nice to see someone taking the time to make these for our cars. I think they would look awesome with a brushed finsish.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Years ago I bought a set of MY02's that needed refinished. I had big plans of a custom color but the reputable wheel refinisher here wouldn't mask the crest off and paint the center caps. They would only paint over the whole thing. I ended up with boring Porsche silver to match the plastic caps.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Lighten up Francis. Nice to see someone taking the time to make these for our cars. I think they would look awesome with a brushed finsish.
I provided my feedback at the request of the OP...and I agree with you on the brushed finish.

If the retailer is sourcing the caps and paint processing in China, and is in them $10-$15 ea., are you happy paying a 566% profit margin to the retailer?

Last edited by nine9six; 09-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice. Where are these machined?

Andreas
Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Andreas
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 AM
nine9six
Banned

WD,
There's a question that's been posed to you.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tough crowd
Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts

If the goal was to spend less than $400 on spun aluminum discs that have maybe 15 min of machining on them, then you need to fire your machinist or engineer (not that one is needed) or not tell potential customers crazy stories about cost.

If I can buy BBS e88 center cap adapters, which essentially are almost identical in the time required to machine (+ these are anodized) for less than $205... you guys should reconsider your pricing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-Motorspo...hYiSWR&vxp=mtr
Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
Tough crowd
No, an informed and not gullible crowd that can read.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 AM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by hexagone
If the goal was to spend less than $400 on spun aluminum discs that have maybe 15 min of machining on them, then you need to fire your machinist or engineer (not that one is needed) or not tell potential customers crazy stories about cost.

If I can buy BBS e88 center cap adapters, which essentially are almost identical in the time required to machine (+ these are anodized) for less than $205... you guys should reconsider your pricing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-Motorspo...hYiSWR&vxp=mtr
Thanks for posting hexagone!

Maybe 10 mins, but I doubt it...Aluminum cuts like butter!

Those BBS adapters have at least twice the machine time, plus the time of anodizing, for half the cost of the clear coated caps being offered.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Guys, I think you are diving into it from the wrong end. Price pretty much never depends on cost to produce. Nor should it. It's what the market would bear, especially for luxury products. Which this one, essentially, is.

I, personally, would not buy it for numerous reasons. By the same token, i see that others would, and that's perfectly fine - it has enough value for them to do so. If someone with an easy access to a machine shop wants to make these and sell them for half the cost, they can make money too and that would be the right thing to do if one feels there's value in doing so.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Guys, I think you are diving into it from the wrong end. Price pretty much never depends on cost to produce. Nor should it. It's what the market would bear, especially for luxury products. Which this one, essentially, is.

I, personally, would not buy it for numerous reasons. By the same token, i see that others would, and that's perfectly fine - it has enough value for them to do so. If someone with an easy access to a machine shop wants to make these and sell them for half the cost, they can make money too and that would be the right thing to do if one feels there's value in doing so.

True.

By why the tomb-like silence from the Wheel Dynamics scribe when asked where the caps are machined? Perfectly reasonable question.

Andreas
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
They look great and seem well priced for what you get.
Thank you,
Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
True.

By why the tomb-like silence from the Wheel Dynamics scribe when asked where the caps are machined? Perfectly reasonable question.

Andreas

Sorry, some days we are here on the boards while others we are not when it is busy enough..

Anyhow the caps are made in the USA and are refinished in the USA, hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by nile13

Mike,
I'm curious as to which end is the right end? Since there are always different aspects to consider. Best I can tell price is always been one of them.

These are aftermarket parts that happened to be presented to a Porsche crowd, so why are they priced like OEM Porsche parts when clearly they are not.

To me this is reminiscent of the Rothsport one way, oil line check valve that sells for $300 and is more than likely sourced out of China for probably $20
each.

This is a discussion forum and we happen to be discussing this certain aspect of the offering.

I noticed the OP has yet to post a photo of the caps as offered

If this is truly a community why would we want to see our brethren walk blindly into paying way too much for an after-market part that more than likely was sourced in China and has huge profit margins for the retailer. Have we forgotten how to use our voices and knowledge to drive prices down?

Quick Reply: Give your feedback on these billet aluminum caps!