Sponsored by:

S Car Go

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:08 PM
P9934S
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S Car Go

Does anyone have any experience in having S Car Go do performance modifications?

I have a 1996, 993 C4S and am looking for better acceleration performance.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:15 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Haven't used them, but have heard nothing but phenomenal positive feedback about them.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
P9934S:

I used a set of S Car Go headers on a dedicated 993 race car for years. They were awesome. The only problem was tracks with noise restrictions. The long tube set I had had no provision for cats or mufflers and were extremely loud. It is my understanding that someone does make mufflers for those headers. If you are looking for track tuned performance, you are looking in the right place.

Hank
Old 12-04-2002, 10:54 PM
condo bob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cannot say enough about robbie. he really knows 993s. i had a real problem was told to find someone who knew more than a dealership. went to s car go & fixed. tell them hello from me!
Old 12-05-2002, 02:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troll around the 996 Turbo board, there are a few guys who have had mods done by Rob King. Also one of the guys is having a monster built by Rob - suspension, transmission, motor, etc.

I've met with Rob a few years back but have not done any business with him. I've also only heard good things.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:00 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want better acceleration:

1. Change gear ratios
2. Lighten flywheel
3. Lighten the rest of the car
Old 12-13-2002, 08:44 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

My S-Car-Go long tube headers are being installed on my 993 racecar, along with a Fabspeed exhaust to keep the noise to a reasonable level. Here's a picture of the headers, exhaust, a BMC CDA, and oil cooler waiting to be installed:

This system was recommended by some folks who've worked with TRG based on feedback from S-Car-Go and others. The S-Car-Go parts look really nice, with great bends and welds:

There are more pics on my site. The parts will all be installed by next week and I'll hopefully have the car out on the track during the holidays. I dyno'ed the car a while back after some chip tuning and will be doing so again with the new parts.

Right now I wish I was living in a warmer climate with track days year-round!
Old 12-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The headers looks great! I think for a track car they are a worthwhile upgrade, otherwise I would have to agree with Johnfm and his suggestions. Not to mention the fact that the headers are quite expensive (IMHO, for street use applications).
Old 12-14-2002, 07:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Assuming your car is a street car, by the time you pay for those headers, the mufflers, the cat pipe replacement and installeation, you will have gone down a very expensive road and will have gained very little, if any HP or torque. If this is not the case, I have seen no dyno reports that substantiate a measurable gain in HP and torque with this mod. In addition, with the headers, the following ill effects wiill be present:
1. The car will not pass smog (In CA), and if you are some how "caught, you will have a nice fine to deal with,
2. You will have no heat in the car,
3. You may see engine check light coming on,
4. If you street the car, it may be loud (depending on the muffler) and you will lose any possible stealth efffect that a quieter car offers.

The 993 headers that are stock on the car, are about as good as they get. You'll gain very little, if any HP going to aftermarket. As mentioned above, prove me wrong here.

The biggest bang for the is in the G-50 tranny with the 993 RS CS gears...look at about $10,000 for the rebuild. Next "bargain" a replacement ring and pinion. They are about $4,000 installed. You will still the lack of a close ratio tranny provided by the RS CS gears, but acceleration will be dramatically improved across the board. You'll get to use 6th gear more often.

The LWF and RS clutch should help the engine spin up a little faster, about $3,000 installed.

For about $1,000, Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland, OR will sell you a modified ECU, good for about 15 HP. This is the biggest bang for the buck that I know of.

There is no cheap HP on a 993 that I have found.

However, I cant deny that the S Car Go headers look awesome. I I had lots of money to "invest", they would be on my shoopping list as well, just for the pure beauty of the welding. Of course I'd have to put a piece of reflecting sheet metal on the garage floor so I could see them on a frequent basis...all the above IMHO, of couerse.

If the S Car Go headers are your dream, reach out and grab them. Just don't expect that you will now be out accelerating ever other 993 on the road, it just wont happen, I am sorry to report.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:21 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Martin,

I'm putting them on my car as it's a track car with a '97 3.8L Cup motor. When I bought the car it had the stock 993 headers and everyone I spoke with suggested replacing them with the S-Car-Go parts, so I'm hoping for the best. They are expensive, but they were also about 1/2 the price of the headers from Porsche Motorsports. I'm not worried about smog as it's not street-legal, and heat is the least of my concerns during most track days.

I agree that putting them on a street car doesn't make much sense. For the money I'd go with the Robin's RSR muffler conversion as it sound great and works well. I had these on my C4S and loved the more assertive sound that was still within street levels.

At some point I hope to have a nice garage for the car, and if so I'll consider the mirror if I don't have a handy lift.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:22 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a Set of S Car Go headers on my RS America. They are the nicest headers I have seen out they.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:15 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is an article in the February 2003 Excellence (just arrived yesterday) about a 911T that S Car Go converted into an unbelievably lightweight (2150 lbs!)street-worthy 993. Their reputation is steller. If you are considering serious mods, you should also consider the Racers Group at Sears Point and, depending on what you're looking to do, Andial in Orange County.

Quick Reply: S Car Go