Sponsored by:

Block Heater and SAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM
gristle101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Block Heater and SAI

I am interested in the proposition of using a block heater to warm the engine beyond the SAI kick-in temperature threshold. Is a block heater capable of warming the oil/motor to this point and beyond? If so, this would both quell my increasing SAI woes and also make cold starts easier on my engine thanks to slightly warmer and therefore less viscous 20W-50.

Has anyone used an oil drain plug block heater in their 993? Searches have not yielded anything for me.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:49 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by gristle101
I am interested in the proposition of using a block heater to warm the engine beyond the SAI kick-in temperature threshold. Is a block heater capable of warming the oil/motor to this point and beyond? If so, this would both quell my increasing SAI woes and also make cold starts easier on my engine thanks to slightly warmer and therefore less viscous 20W-50.

Has anyone used an oil drain plug block heater in their 993? Searches have not yielded anything for me.
SAI is waiting for the cats to warm up, not the motor. As I recall: Its either a timer or was looking for the O2 sensors to come into range. Its not actually reading a temp anywhere.

Maybe someone smarter will ring in with a better answer.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Not sure what your issue is as SAI operation or lack thereof will not impact the engine in any way. It seems the heat in our cars comes on very quickly, much faster than in hot water automotive heating systems. What is the issue here? A good synthetic oil is all that is needed, prewarming seems to me to be overkill.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
SAI is waiting for the cats to warm up, not the motor. As I recall: Its either a timer or was looking for the O2 sensors to come into range. Its not actually reading a temp anywhere.

Maybe someone smarter will ring in with a better answer.
Not smarter, just concurring with the above statement

Quick Reply: Block Heater and SAI