Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who wants to sack Porsche's board of directors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool economic trends

During a recession, people don't buy sports/GT cars. They do buy SUVs and more "practical" and versatile cars. I even have an energiser Rabbit to back up my other 2 Porsches and am driving that most of the time now, while I accumulate some cash to paint one P car, and the other P car is in the shop. I love my Rabbit, and it carries all kinds of stuff I wouldn't put in the Porsches. Just keeps going and going....
Old 12-07-2003, 07:39 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Those who have been around for a while have seen this all before.

In the 60's Porsche was just one of many small manufacturers trying to make a name for itself, a thing which it managed to do quite well under the reign of Piech. But in the 70's they repudiated it all. Does anybody remember the ecologically-friendly show car they built? Seems they don't talk about it in the Porsche histories today. Seemed so out of character then, along with comments from some factory suit about how embarrassing a car the 911 was, noisey and harsh. They actually said that, even in print once or twice. Anybody remember? Some of us wrote Porsche off then.

Of course, the 1970's were not kind years for anybody building sports cars, and alot of them when bankrupt or merged. And in the 80's it didn't get much better. The family, some of them anyway, even thought about selling the comany to some rich arab investor, you can read about it in Piech's book. There were a few who felt the company represented something more than just a dividend check, and we have them to thank that we're even all here chatting today.

But principle only goes so far, especially when money is involved. The fact is, as another factory suit recently said in priint, there isn't anybody left at Porsche who even remembers the original 911. They don't want to be constrained with the heavy weight of a glorious past. Like most kids of rich successful parents they want to make their own way. None of us is going to change that.

The real question to ask is whether there is any more money to be made selling only or even mostly sports cars. It's a question Porsche the company has been asking over and over again for 30 years.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following is my post on a similar topic from another thread:

The notion that Porsche is "trying to survive" by making SUVs strikes me as completely ridiculous -- they were (pre-Cayenne) and remain the most profitable car company on the planet. Obviously, that industry-leading margin wouldn't matter if sales evaporated, but that is clearly not the case. They could easily weather the recent downturn in sports car sales with the margins they earn. The 997 and the next Boxster will almost certainly sell very well.

Businesses obviously need to make money, but if we didn't have a few firms that focused only on specialty items, e.g., sports cars, the world would be a far less interesting place, IMHO.

I remember a Porsche advertisement (I think it was for the 996TT) that read something like, "It's not for everyone, but it's everything to someone." Sadly, they seem to be rushing to become something for everyone.

Porsche used to mean "sports cars" period. I find it a shame that this is no longer the case. Recently, I was talking with a friend and his acquaintance. When I mentioned Porsche, my friend's friend said, "Oh, they make that new SUV." How sad.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:27 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

what porsche needs is a budget sports car, which they could make money off of, if that is what they want. think about it, what kept them afloat in the 80s when they were spending so much damn money like it was going out of style.

if they build a budget sports car, more enthusiests would be able to buy new porsches. money would be made. people would be happy, and so would the company. im not talking about a budget 6 cyl suv, the 912 of the cayennes.

yes, give me your 944, 924, 914 and 912, as you and i both know, there is a market out there for us who cannot afford whats new, but who dream of someday being able to buy a brand new offering from stuttgart. if they were smart, they would develop, design, and come out with a nice little 4 banger (or maybe now a 6 banger since it appears everything will be moving to 8, as i hear the 997 with have an 8 banger.)
Old 12-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Speedraser
...Businesses obviously need to make money, but if we didn't have a few firms that focused only on specialty items, e.g., sports cars, the world would be a far less interesting place, IMHO...
This is totally my opinion also, future, where everything is made in same assembly line in Taiwan, is a really sad place.

Originally posted by Speedraser
...I remember a Porsche advertisement (I think it was for the 996TT) that read something like, "It's not for everyone, but it's everything to someone." Sadly, they seem to be rushing to become something for everyone...
Can't agree more.

Quick Reply: Who wants to sack Porsche's board of directors?