95 cabrio top problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 cabrio top problem

Hi there,
My 95 top has a problem. I had searched the forum but cannot find anything like my situation.
When I push the top open button, the latches work but the top does not move.

Here are some findings:
- My latches work in openning but need to press the console switch multiple times, the latch moves little by little.
- latches work in closing prefectly with one long press on the console switch as usual.
- latches work but the top motors at the back do not engage.
- I had checked the front 2 micro switches, the 2 right rear micro switches at the transmission, the handbrake switch, all work prefectly.
- I had also taken out the top control box and reflow all cold joints. Connectivity of all cold joints checked out fine.
- when I manually pushed the relay in the control box, the top can move back and forth so the rear motors are ok.
- when I turn the top to manual and open it, the latches can be operated on and off regardless of the top miro switches or the position of the top.
- top warning light is on all the time now.

I am running out of ideas and would like to ask for help.
Thanks

Name:  20170831_213345.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  20170831_213400.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  216.0 KB

Last edited by 95993Cabrio; 08-31-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

-" My latches work in openning but need to press the console switch multiple times, the latch moves little by little.
- latches work in closing prefectly with one long press on the console switch as usual."

This sounds like a cracked latching gear except the symtoms should be in reversed order.

"- latches work but the top motors at the back do not engage."

This tells me that when the latching motors unlatched, the top button on the rear sensor (at the right trans) is still engaged. I only think this because your rear motors are still ok.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 PM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Thanks for your comments. I will open up the latches to inspect the gears.

Both the 2 mirco-switches (MS) at the trans are adjusted correctly.

I had found out that the MS at the trans and the MS at the top front are different in function. I am not sure if it is correct. What i mean is when I use a Multimeter to check the continuity of the 2 wires coming out form the MS;
- MS at the trans: The circuit is closed when idle, opened when the switch clicks.
- MS at the top front: The circuit is opened when idle, closed when the switch clicks

I am not sure these are normal or not. Looking at the wiring diagram in the workshop manual, all these 4 MS have the same design but in my car they are in opposite orientation. And my top used to operate perfectly before until last week.
Cheers
Old 09-01-2017, 01:50 AM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95993Cabrio
Thanks for your comments. I will open up the latches to inspect the gears.

- MS at the trans: The circuit is closed when idle, opened when the switch clicks.
- MS at the top front: The circuit is opened when idle, closed when the switch clicks

Cheers
That seems to be correct because when the top button of the rear sensor is pressed (top reaches the winshield) rear motors stop. And when front sensors are pressed, it activates latch motors. This process is for closing the top. I am not sure how it works during openning as what triggers the rear motors to turn in opposite direction. Now that i think of it, i dont know if the top button of the rear sensor should be engaged or not once the latch motors release the top (i implied it should not on my previous post).
Old 09-02-2017, 01:09 PM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

*********Problem solved********
After a week of checking almost everything and thinking maybe my I need to replace my top computer, finally I have found where the problem is.

One tiny little wire at in the top harness was broken. I think after thousands of open and close, the rubber protection of the harness was finally worned out and broke the wire.
I reconnected the wire and the top works great again. If you still have an unsolved top problem after trying almost everything, I suggest you to look into this harness. Cost of the fix is zero.
Thank you for all of your helps and really appreciated. Thanks

Temp fix and testing the top, It is working great again.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:34 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that running along the folding arm on the right side?

Your third post and you already made a big contribution to the board, congrats. I dont think i've seen this problem before.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 PM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Yes hn , thats the one.
In my last picture, there are 2 clips to hold the harness, i think using 2 is too tight and puting too much stress on the harness. I am now using only one and a strip tie loosely to hold its position.
When the top is opened, i think the harness will be bended in 2 positions along the top frame, i will now check them from time to time. Glad to hear that you find it helpful. Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So along these lines, the top on my 95 seems to be working just fine, up, down, seats well, locks but the convertible top indicator light in the gauge cluster is lit. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 95 cabrio top problem