Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Engine Noise – Paranoia Strikes Deep – V-Twin oil Related

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
ah everybody's definition of black oil is different. My oil is pretty dark when I change it, in fact I will be draining it tomorrow with 1k miles on it. I will take take a pic.

No problem with V-Twin here for couple years now. But it could be that old oil was on thinner side keeping lifters quiet and with thicker vtwin they are noisy.

You should hear my car...it will freak you out the noises it makes (hard engine mounts, tranny mount and LWFW) sounds like rocks in washer machine...in other words pretty awesome.
Yeah, mine is pretty dark too when I change my oil. However, I'll usually do 5-7k in between oil changes and I change the oil about twice a year.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Insightful discussion on the subject:

Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

"Insightful discussion on the subject:"

Good point, and let's not forget:

But seriously, thanks to all for the great input and feedback. I'm still evaluating but am thinking about lifters as has been suggested. That or maybe I'm going crazy as on some drives the noise is not as bad as I thought. And when cruising the car seems to work perfectly. Armed with more knowledge thanks to you all, I'm may schedule an eval session with an expert. Certainly before ordering an expensive box of lifters. I guess I could also swap out the oil for something a bit thinner - but that may just be shooting in the dark. (pun intended)

I'll send out more info as I collect it.

Thanks again,

Ron
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

highly recommend that you connect with an experienced air cooled guy / gal and compare noises and notes.
really hard to dx over the interwebs.

good luck sorting this out.

Quick Reply: Help with Engine Noise – Paranoia Strikes Deep – V-Twin oil Related