Sponsored by:

Sad quote from the "Father of the 993"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:54 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From the brand new Excellence Magazine issue #222's "Dr. Ulrich Bez -- Father of the 993" interview:
Originally Posted by Greg Hudock

As head of Porsche’s fabled Research and Development department, Dr. Ulrich Bez was responsible for leading development of the 993—Porsche’s last and much loved air-cooled 911.

Bez’s first love was airplanes. He studied Aviation Technology at Universität Stuttgart and he later earned a Doctorate in Engineering from Freie Universität Berlin before going to work for Porsche in 1972. Bez climbed his way up to the position of Director of Vehicle Research before leaving Porsche for BMW in 1982.

In Munich, Bez started out as the Director of Vehicle Pre-Development before becoming the first director of BMW’s experimental development lab, BMW Technik. After six years and some notable projects, including the Z1 roadster, Bez headed back to Weissach in 1988, when he was appointed Director of R&D and Motorsport at Porsche, replacing the retiring Helmuth Bott.

The recession that started with the Black Monday crash of 1987 had softened the sports car market considerably, and Bez was given a strict budget for updating the model range. The positive outcomes of this ingenuity-over-big-budget strategy were the 993, 968 and 928 GTS.

Bez also wanted to expand the product range to include a sedan, which would have been known as the 989. When it became apparent to the Board of Directors that the cost of that project had gotten out of control and the car would be far too expensive to produce, Bez was asked to leave Porsche in 1991. He ended up in an unlikely place: South Korea.

Eager to enter the expanding global auto market, South Korean automakers had set out to attract talent from around the world. In 1993, Bez became the Vice President of Strategy, Engineering, and Product Development at Daewoo. After five years in Seoul, Bez returned to Germany in 1998, where he served as the Chairman of Flender AG, an industrial gearbox maker. In 2000, Bez accepted the position of CEO at Aston Martin, a role he will soon be relinquishing for retirement once a suitable replacement is selected.

Excellence: What makes a great sports car? What is the core of a great sports car for you?

Bez: This is of course a question of individual taste. A great sports car for me is not about top speed or top acceleration. It needs to deliver sufficient dynamic performance, whenever and wherever the driver asks for it. Delivering high dynamics at low revs, for instance, meets the practical requirements of driving more than mere performance figures given in car documents that can hardly be put into practice under real conditions on real roads. A great sports car must give the driver the feeling that he can connect with the car, that he is the one who controls it and gets maximum fun out of it. This high level of usability is combined with comfort, great design, and lots of emotions. A car is great if it puts a smile on your face.

Excellence: What makes Germany such fertile ground for prolific engineers?

Bez: Germany has a long tradition of engineering, which is respected and admired around the world. In contrast to other countries there is, alongside the big companies, a strong base of small and medium-sized companies in manufacturing that play a considerable economical role and contribute to the huge R&D activities of the German industry. There is a high demand for qualified people; therefore the emphasis on having a profound training system for engineers is very strong. The car industry is naturally one of the most attractive sectors for many engineers, as it is at the forefront of technological innovations and thus very successful in the global markets. Developing sports cars is an area where engineers have the chance to max-out technological opportunities and push new developments. Also, sports cars are highly emotional products, for those who build them and for those who drive them. This is probably the reason why I joined the motor industry after completing my studies in aviation technology. There is nothing that comes closer to flying than driving sports cars.

Excellence: Can you describe the biggest differences between working for a German sports car maker and an English sports car maker?

Bez: To be honest, the differences are not that big. Every sports carmaker is striving to create what they think is the perfect product, which presents the brand values. They all pursue one goal; it is the ingredients that differ and give the products their special character. These individual ingredients reflect the culture a carmaker is part of, its heritage, and the approach that engineers and designers take when creating a product. Hence, sports cars made in Germany will always be different from sports cars made in England as well as from those made in Italy. And so will be the culture in the individual companies. I think this is good, as it brings more variety to the sports car market as a whole.

Excellence: Who has most influenced your engineering and management pursuits, both past and present?

Bez: In general, I try to act and decide uninhibited by external influences. However, if there is a person from whom I have learned a great deal and also gained a lot personally, it was Eberhard von Kuenheim, the former CEO of BMW, when I worked for him at BMW. It was a time of departure at BMW, and it was great to be part of that under his leadership. Of course there were other important phases in my professional life, such as my time at Daewoo in South Korea or my start at Aston Martin.

Excellence: Looking back, what was your favorite project at Porsche? What made that particular project special?

Bez: A very challenging and exciting moment at Porsche was when I carried through the 993. I was asked to lead the development of a 911 replacement. Instead, I proposed to stick with the 911 concept and morphed it into the 993, which marked the turnaround and long life of the 911.

Excellence: What do you think is destined to be the sports car of the future? Can electrics, hybrids, or even diesels be true sports cars?

Bez: We still have not found a real sustainable solution for alternative energies in the car sector, let alone for sports cars. I always said that when a diesel engine can win Le Mans, it might also be suitable for other sports car applications. What goes against the case for diesel for us is that in huge markets like China and North America, you can only really sell petrol-fueled vehicles. Hybrids do not convince me at all, as they add too much weight to a car, and this is totally counterproductive, especially for a sports car. As today’s battery capacities have not really improved, electric cars make sense for urban traffic, where you do not have to cover long distances and are always near a charging station or the next bus in case the battery dies. Therefore, an electric car currently is a useful addition to the car fleet of a family, but not a full replacement for the main family car. I do not see the sense in electric sports cars, as I think a sports car should be able to take you anywhere at any time. This is what traditional engines today still can do better than any other drivetrain. For the future, I see hydrogen as a very interesting alternative and I think we should look into this more intensely.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Jäger, you've been asked on several occasions to stay out of the attic, and quit rummaging around back there...
Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 287 Posts

Porsche has not adhered to the sage admonition of P.T. Barnum who wisely said "Find a business and mind it". Porsche, like BMW, is trying to be all things to all people. It all depends on your definition of success.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 993TT
I'm in the market for a station wagon. Should I hold out for the porsche version??
That would be the Panamera, looks-wise at least.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

no security in being only a sports car manufacture.
pretty much all sports cars manufactures are owned by a mass auto producer.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:34 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

This is exactly why the air cooled cars are appreciating like mad.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:15 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this is another old thread...
Bez does have an eye for style but at Porsche internally was consider too wild...
Btw, whatever happened to 929 concept?
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the dealer a couple weeks ago and a man who had just bought a Macan walked in and was raving about his new car - said he couldn't believe that he had waited so long to buy a Porsche. As long as Porsche can make customers like this happy, they will be successful and deservingly so.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

I was pretty upset when they expanded the line. To be honest I still can't stand the Cayenne. I own a 993 and have driven pretty much every 911 variant from my car forward. In end as long as the they keep offering cars like the 911/Cayman/Boxster... the GT variants... the Turbo variants.. I no longer care how they fund that.. just give me my candy.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by SinVancouver
I was pretty upset when they expanded the line. To be honest I still can't stand the Cayenne. I own a 993 and have driven pretty much every 911 variant from my car forward. In end as long as the they keep offering cars like the 911/Cayman/Boxster... the GT variants... the Turbo variants.. I no longer care how they fund that.. just give me my candy.
Exactly. Funding the development of the specialized sports cars we love just isn't realistic these days without a bread and butter model to generate big sales and income.

EDIT: holy hell this thread is old!!!!!! Jäger!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 AM
danialz
Intermediate

Maybe they should have created a different brand name like Lexus (toyota) Acura (Honda) for the people hauler market. Atleast then Porsche would have been exclusive sports cars
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is all awesome reading and I respect the guys opinion...but...none of it has any impact on the feeling I get when blasting down through the local twisties, soaking up the sounds and smells of my 993.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Always remember that Porsche is a company that is in business to post a profit, regardless of how it comes about it. I think it used to come from outside engineering jobs for other manufacturers. This is just a natural progression of big business or any business for that matter. Even Coca Cola recognized this years ago by buying into the bottled water market. Now soft drinks are on the decline (by % of market). Coke will most likely be successful in business long after it's soda line becomes unwanted by the masses, the same goes for Porsche. Business is business is business...

All this being said, I may replace the girlfriends 3er with a Macan after is see Franz's!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Sorensen
Jeff: Don't be surprised if Porsche is looking at producing a wagon. Standing on an overpass recently (Lucerne Switzerland), I noted that approximately 50% of all cars passing under me were station wagons. Wagons are VERY popular there because many families have space for only one vehicle. They don't want 4 wheel drive and look for good mileage because of the high cost of gas.
Originally Posted by SLVR
Jim - You are spot on regarding the market for wagons in Europe. Most households sport only one vehicle. In my last visit to Frankfurt I saw nary a Cayenne. They are waaay too heavy and thirsty. But wagons a ragingly popular, hence the RS4/6 etc.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

wagons = good
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Those who live in glass houses...

Quick Reply: Sad quote from the "Father of the 993"