Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help in solving clutch pedal clunking sound.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 03:14 PM
RJA in VA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need help in solving clutch pedal clunking sound.

Over the past few weekends, I replaced all the brake fluid and flushed the clutch slave cylinder. I decided to replace the slave cylinder for the repeated creaking problems, and this appeared to correct it. However, the pedal was still "sticky" and would not come out smoothly. Therefore, I replaced the clutch master cylinder. This fixed the "sticky" feeling.

Here's the problem. (Since the pedal wasn't the greatest before, I can't remember if this was always there or not) When the car is off, the pedal and/or clutch feel perfectly smooth and don't make a sound. But when idling in neutral or starting to move (either in 1st or 2nd) from a standstill, and I release the clutch to about 3/4 out, I hear a mechanical clunking sound from under the car and I can feel it through the pedal. (Sound is similar to hearing the transmission moving through the gears when the car is off, a metal to metal type sound)

Clutching with all the other gears (up-shift or down-shift) once moving feels great. No sounds or feeling in the pedal.

Anyone with this experience and/or know what may need to be fixed? What really has me puzzled is why this only happends when idling or when just starting to move and not at any other time.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
(95 993,65k, original clutch, transmission, tranny fluid 2 years old)
Old 06-16-2003, 04:02 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts
Bob,

This sounds to me like the dual mass flywheel failing...I know it's happening to me right now!!! I hear a clunk in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. As I understand it, the sound happens because of the sudden engagement of the 2 plates that make up the flywheel - the silicone gunk that typically smooths out this transition has worn away, and thus the sudden engagement. Almost feels like a spring loaded clutch engagement right ?

Perhaps Steve W. can chime in here and lend a more expert opinion.

sean
Old 08-24-2003, 11:02 PM
993C4
Instructor

It seems that nothing quite conclusive came out of this thread now that my car is exhibiting similar symtoms, i thought perhaps someone could shed more light on this issue.

The noise only occurs when I coast the car in neutral to a complete stop, and thereafter engage 1st gear to move off, and get the clunking noise (ie cruising at 120km/h, shift to neutral, normal braking until car comes to complete stop, engage 1st gear, release clutch pedal normally and CLUNK...) It's hard to identify where it's coming from since the doesn't happen all the time.

From what I understand, DMF failure symptoms are different from what Sean has described. In a case of the DMF failure, you can hear clunking noise when starting and when turning off the engine.

My car has 68,000km in orignal condition.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:58 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,

I have a different opion about your cluncking sound. Since you took apart your pedal cluster to replace the clutch master cylinder I wonder if the transition adjustment screw is adjusted properly.

As the clutch pedal goes through two transitions, one against the spring one against the pressure plate of the clutch.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After noticing that my left leg was about 4” in diameter larger than my right, due to the workout I got pressing the clutch pedal, I backed out this tension adjustment screw to see how much difference it made. At first, I carefully counted the number of turns I backed it out, so that I could return it to the original position if need be. I backed it out three turns at first, and it made the clutch much easier to deal with. I backed it out again, and it got even better. I currently have it backed out as far as it will go (I can barely see some threads on the other side). It makes it a lot easier to let the clutch out smoothly now.

Tom
’95 993
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
aknatar
3rd Gear

Tom, how are you? Was wondering, did you have to remove the pedal assemble to get access to this screw? I'm having similar problems in my 993, started right after my mechanic replaced my kinematic lever to the updated style.

Thanks in advance Tom.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aknatar
Tom, how are you? Was wondering, did you have to remove the pedal assemble to get access to this screw? I'm having similar problems in my 993, started right after my mechanic replaced my kinematic lever to the updated style.

Thanks in advance Tom.
Since that thread is from 2003 and Tom's profile says: Last Activity: 8-26-2011 09:18 AM, I'm guessing it will be someone else answering you. But since it started after the mechanic worked on it, why not take it back to them and get them to make it right?

Quick Reply: Need help in solving clutch pedal clunking sound.