Sponsored by:

Pedro's ICE Wax fixes windshield squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 11:19 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pedro's ICE Wax fixes windshield squeaking

This stuff works, both my front and rear windshield were squeaking up a storm, now things are quiet. Apparently this stuff expands which I guess causes less movement of the windshield.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:27 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
I have pedro's dry chain lube in the garage. whats the diff?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

Post more details please, where you got it, how and where you applied it, etc.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:56 PM
993Widebody
Racer

The Pedro's dry chain lube is not the same. I believe the ice wax is another type of lubricant that is not greasy as is a traditional lubricant.
The ice wax expands into a waxy gooo which expands and helps to elimnate movement of the inner seal against the windshield.

To apply,

You simply lift up the black outter rubber seal and spray the stuff inside - around the whole windshielf front and back. I didn't spray on the top portion of the rear windshield as the third brake light is in the way... I still hear squeaks from that one area but everything else is quiet. This is in stark contrast to the
squeak-a-thon I was hearing before.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Craig
There have been many threads about Pedro's. Here's one:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002063" target="_blank">"Pedro's Ice Wax " for the windshield squeek? </a>

It is available online or from bike stores - I bought it from REI. Get it in the aerosol container & use the extension tube. It is a very durable, water resistant lubricant. It does not prevent movement, but lubricates to prevent resulting noise. You can easily access the top rubber strip (if applicable) by just popping off the 3rd light cover.

Randy
You might check <a href="http://www.pedros.com/products.html" target="_blank">Pedro's website</a> to determine if there are any differences between the ice wax & what you have.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
Sounds like the ice wax is better for the rain. If I use the dry chain lube I'm afraid it might leak out onto my paint.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:45 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Everyone,

The issue of the front and rear windshields "creaking" has been addressed before, but the threads are a little dis-jointed.

Porsche issued a service bulletion to address this problem. It involves installing a foam "cord" under the front and rear windshield seals. This cord provides enough support around the window perimeters to stop the windows from moving enough to cause those annoying creaks.

Schatz Motorsports (www.fvdmotorsport.com) can provide the foam cord and a copy of the Porsche factory service bulletin. I did both front and rear windows. I believe you will have to buy two kits from Schatz to do both windows. Schatz will also sell you a can of silicone lubricant, but I suggest use of the Pedros Ice Wax as well. It seems to work better.

The foam cord installation is pretty easy, but tedious. The rear window is simpler, because you can pull the seal off completely and install the foam cord without the seal in the way. Use of some small wooden tongue depressors and a small bodyman's squeege are a big help. Get as much cord in the channels as you can at the front and back windows. In some places you can get two layers and in some only one. I removed the front seal (rubber window molding) to install the foam cord and replaced it with new, since it had a small cut in it. When you install the foam cord, soak it with Pedros Ice Wax - the cord and the channel.

I believe if you install the cord it will permanently stop the creaking and you won't have to keep re-doing the Pedros every few weeks or months.

Hope this helps.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red

Quick Reply: Pedro's ICE Wax fixes windshield squeaking