993 Forum 1995-1998

backup lights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:28 PM
AzMike
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post backup lights not working.

I checked both bulbs and the fuse, no dice... I suspect it's the switch. Question is, where is it located? And what's the best way to get to it? I was told top of tranny and to get to it from the passenger side. Just thought I'd ask here before I started exploring...
Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow - something I think I can answer..!!!

There is a reverse light switch mounted to your tranny case. To get to it - remove the tranny undercover (5 fasteners), and look on the right side of the transmission case. There are two wire leads going into the switch, and it's not uncommon that the male plugs seperate/break at the connection.

A fix is easy, as you simply need to cut back a bit more wire insulation and re-solder the male connector (if the wire is broken).

If it is the switch itself (it's more often the wire(s) is frayed/broken), simply unscrew the switch it from the transmission case and replace.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:52 PM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D.
Wow - something I think I can answer..!!!

There is a reverse light switch mounted to your tranny case. To get to it - remove the tranny undercover (5 fasteners), and look on the right side of the transmission case. There are two wire leads going into the switch, and it's not uncommon that the male plugs seperate/break at the connection.

A fix is easy, as you simply need to cut back a bit more wire insulation and re-solder the male connector (if the wire is broken).

If it is the switch itself (it's more often the wire(s) is frayed/broken), simply unscrew the switch it from the transmission case and replace.
FYI - the sensor is removed with a 22mm

Quick Reply: backup lights not working.