Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help – Need Advice On Best Lightweight Simplified In Car Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Because I'd rather not block the holes for the head unit, equalizer and speakers with more carbon fiber and because if, one day, I build a successor to the 911R, the customers might want at least a simple sound system.

P.S. Tomorrow I will ask McLaren about the stereo that was in the F1 road car.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:55 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Robert, when I bought my car I had an Alpine stereo/navigation system installed. The built in amp was bypassed and a Brax Helix amplifier installed in its place. To save weight I removed the Brax amp and used the inbuilt amp. The difference in sound quality was very obvious - the Alpine amp was definitely not in the same league.

I still have the Brax amp somewhere and I would offer you a good deal on it but it has minor signs of wear and probably wouldn't be up to the high standard of appearance of the rest of the car!

I can definitely recommend the brand, however.

To save more weight I also pulled out the CD changer, and I will replace it with an Apple iPod which will connect directly to an auxiliary set of RCA connectors on the Alpine head unit. This extremely lightweight unit (<6 oz) will hold the equivalent of 1000 CDs.

Boris, what did you fill the holes with once you removed the rear speakers?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Graham:

Thank you for your kind offer.

Bob
Old 12-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

To update you, the amplifiers still in contention are the Audison VRx 2.150 and LRx 2.250 and the Brax Helix HXA40 MK II. As to speakers, although I had settled on the Focal K2P, I am going to try the Audio Development MM2 System. Finally, with regard to the McLaren F1 Road Car, the Kenwood system consisted of an amplifier, a 10 disc CD changer (located under the front hood) and 5 speakers but no radio -- the total weight was 18.7 lbs.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:54 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, the Helix is the best choice for your proposed system. You might also want to check out the CDT Eurosports which are bi-axial thus eliminating the tweeter mount. I am pretty sure they will fit within the enclosures which YOU DON'T want to remove unless you want to spend a lot of money on custom baffles and sound dampening. I ended up paying a small fortune to essentially make the door a quality enclosure for a 8" Dyn driver. The Euros are made in Holland and are better sounding than Focals IMO. Dyn makes a 240 GT which will also fit the enclosure but will be lacking in base. With your system a aftermarket HU will add little. You can utilize a Navone LOC to connect the low level output of the CDR-210(.5V) to the Helix.
System will look stock, add no additional weight, and sound reasonable good though will be thin on the low end. Don't know where you are located but Eric from Speakerworks in Orange, CA sells both Helix an CDT and could help you or your installer with the details.
I think it makes a difference to deal with someone with Eric expertise. He is not inexpensive, but knows car audio and has a national following from his competition days.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Graham,

i have a cab so removing the speakers is not visible.

cheers,
boris
Old 12-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Dr.Z:

Thank you.

Two questions:

1. As I have had an aftermarket amp connected to the Porsche head unit, do I still need the line output converter?

2. Are you familiar with the Audio Development MM2?

Bob
Old 12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
DrZ
Racer

Bob, the lineout from the Becker is very low and is not likely well matched to the Helix input sensitivity. LOCs are cheap, Speakerworks charged me $35 for a PAC that they adapted to fit the harness of the CDR-210. Unfortunately, I think they chucked it when I eventually hooked my current NAK CD-700 to a Brax amp otherwise it would be yours. The Navone is considered better, particularly is you are using more than 2 channels. Shouldn't cost more than $85. Can get more info from Car Sound and Performance forum(do search on LOC or "stock headunits") As mentioned Eric Holdaway (714) 997-7360 is your better source for expert advice. He knows the particular gear and is very familar with Porsche installations. As with most shops perhaps with the exception of Rod Birch, he will be more helpful if you are an actual customer.

Not familiar with AD MM2. I did hear the CDTs against the Focals and was much more impressed with the former. They have gained significant respect on the car Hi-Fi fora. Major advantage would be ease and cost saving of door installation. They also come with a optional tweeter imaging module which I did not hear myself. If you are again going with simplicity and wgt. considerations, two of the Helix channels could be bridged for a rear subwoofer to fill in the 50-30hz low end. Good luck, PM me if I can be of further help.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Am pleased with Brax amp although will review Audison VRx on Friday. Continue to like Focal K2P. As to the CDT, will the model with the integrated tweeter fit behind the Porsche OE grill -- CDT was not sure? Will also have AD MM2 on Friday.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Now have the CDT's and Audio Development MM2 as well as several other amps. Thus far, I continue to favor the Brax/Helix amp and the Focal K2P. Have you used the CDT braxial with the integrated tweeter plus another CDT tweeter in the standard tweeter location in the door? Finally, on Tuesday, I should receive test speakers and amplifiers from Genesis, one of England's most respected brands.

P.S. Have you tried the latest Focal K2P which Focal opines is a significant improvement over the model of a few months ago?

Quick Reply: Help – Need Advice On Best Lightweight Simplified In Car Entertainment System