993 Forum 1995-1998

HELP car will not start after running over debrie

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry HELP car will not start after running over debrie

Early this morning while traveling on the highway I encounterd a long section of what appeared to be 4X4 piece of wood on my lane. I could not change lanes or slow down, due to the traffic around me. As soon as the debrie hit the underside of the car, the car shut off. Check engine light came on. Thinking it had damaged the engine, I turned the ignition off right away. Although the engine was already off. I put on my hazzard lights and made my way over to the right shoulder. I checked under the car and could not see any visible damaged. Nothing leaking or such. I tried to start the car , but it will only crank over with out starting. I am thinking the fuel pump shut off because of the impact underneath. Could this be possible. Where could I find the reset for the fuel pump? Any suggestions... Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:21 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: HELP car will not start after running over debrie

Originally posted by Al Z
Where could I find the reset for the fuel pump? Any suggestions... Thanks in advance.
All the relays are in the trunk. Furthermore the fuel pump is located high on top of the inner right fender in the engine compartment, so it is impossible that the fuel pump was hit!
Do you still have the engine undertray on?
Old 11-27-2003, 11:24 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the car now Al? Can you check on where the impact was from the debris? That will give me a better idea of things to check. Also, as DJ asked, was the engine cover off?

Bummer.....
Old 11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

I removed the tray for cooling during the summer. Although it was dark outside, I could not see any visible damage to the engine. I have plenty of oil pressure when I cranked the engine. I was thinking that maybe the impact underneath was hard enough to trigger the auto shut off for the fuel pump (sensing an accident). If the car has one.
I had the car towed to the Porsche dealer at 2 in the morning . I will go look at it a little better this morning. I was hoping I could find the problem before Monday, when the Porsche dealer re-open from the Holiday. Thanks again
Old 11-27-2003, 11:37 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Al,

Just post your findings after you go over there. You may want to take a jack, lug wrench, etc. to pop a wheel or two off to really get a good look. Also, maybe take a digital camera to post some pictures so we can do a little long distance diagnosis...

Sorry about your Turkey Day experience soo far....
Old 11-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bob
I had just entered the highway, headed to Chicago for some Turkey...
I will take your suggestion, and hopefully figure out what is wrong. I wish everyone a great Turkey Day...
Old 11-27-2003, 05:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

If it was a jarring impact, check all the relays in the fuse box and make sure thay are all seated properly..

Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chris
It was a jarring impact. Its being rainning all day, so first thing tomorrow I will go take a look. I was thinking maybe the fuel pump relay might have failed. I hope that is something simple. Thanks again Chris
Old 11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Pete K
Pro

Al,
If the block of wood was moving it is considered a comprehensive insurance claim, if it was just laying in the road its considered a collision and will be listed as such on you policy. I know my deductables are different for the two so you might want to keep this in mind if you claim this.
I know the last time I hit a block of firewood on hte interstate it had just fallen off the back of a pick up truck...

Food for thought,

Pete
Old 11-28-2003, 07:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about all newer cars have the fuel pump interrupt you're talking about. Not sure about the 993. Nothing in the owners manual about resetting it?
Old 11-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks Pete k and pig4bill
The porsche dealer where I had the car towed, is trying to determine where the "Ine
Old 11-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks Pete k and pig4bill
The porsche dealer where I had the car towed, is trying to determine where the "Inertia switch/Fuel cut off switch" is located so it can be reset. It appears the main Porsche mechanic is out on sick leave and no one else knows where the switch is located on a 993. If its not the switch, I will have to get the car towed somewhere else, because this dealer is so backed up they can not look at my car for at least four weeks. According to the person at the service dept they do not have the space to keep my car there for such a period of time.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought, but maybe disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would reset the wretched switch/relay...?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:50 PM
914und993
Pro

If the debris slammed into one of the O2 sensors on the exhaust, and shorted out the heating element wires, that would fry the DME relay fuse, and shut off the fuel pump.

Hope its something that simple!

Chip

Last edited by 914und993; 11-28-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

I tried replacing the DME fuel pump relay switch in the fuse box with no luck. The Porsche dealer will take a look at it on Monday, to try to figure out the problem... I also tried disconnecting the battery when it first happen on the side of the highway with out success...I also hope is something simple
Thanks again

Quick Reply: HELP car will not start after running over debrie