Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Fact or Myth that radar detectors can be confiscated in the Commonwealth of VA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other thoughts from legal eagles on what would happen if you hardwired a V1 or had a k40 installed? In that case, removing the detector would be a major effort requiring some serious work.

I always felt that if I was to move to Maryland, I would do this and if pulled over -- contend that the law was unconstitutional on the grounds that it was an impermissible burden on interstate commerce. The logic being that its legal in my homestate, a fixture in my car, and therefore I should not be forced to avoid driving in neighboring states such as VA or DC simply because they have this unique law. Obviously, the more hardwired, the better the case. A k40 would probably be best.

Just a thought...
Old 12-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a K40 hardwired into my 993 and I doubt any cop could detect it, except for seeing me tap my brakes at night when the cop is hidden. They can't take it if it's hardwired.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, however, is that you fight ANY ticket you get for a radar detector. You will win AUTOMATICALLY just for showing up in court. VA knows this law is unconstitutional and does not want it to go to a higher court, where they know it will be tossed. FCC regs state that these devices are perfectly legal, so VA can't ban them. Lots of folks just pay up, which is what the state wants you to do. Go to court and your case will be dismissed automatically - at least the part of it for having a detector. Lots of Potomac PCA folks have been through this. NEVER give the state money you could better spend on mods for your Porsche.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally posted by swftiii
Don't fool yourself Randy... They donate the guns so their customers can get tickets so they can raise their rates and make more money. It is always about money...

-SKip
I was being sarcastic
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Lee
I have a K40 hardwired into my 993 and I doubt any cop could detect it, except for seeing me tap my brakes at night when the cop is hidden. They can't take it if it's hardwired.
Nor will they be able to see you tap your brakes if you were to a install a hidden and highly illegal brake light cut-off switch. Not that I'm saying anyone should. It's just that if you were to do this it would work very, very well for high speed flying.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to burst your bubble Rick, but in Halifax Co VA they find you guilty and fine you. They did offer to give the detector back though. I think that rumor falls right in there with"income taxes are illegal" and you don't have to pay them.

Quick Reply: Is it Fact or Myth that radar detectors can be confiscated in the Commonwealth of VA?