993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche Documentation question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts
Default Porsche Documentation question...

I am told you can contact Porsche NA and buy original Documentation on our cars with the vin number? Anyone ever do this?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:57 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchases a Certificate of Authenticity for my car, which is probably what you have heard about. It's a document that shows the 'birth date' of your car, the options it was built with, original sticker price, etc.

It cost me close to $100. Although I'm told the document is useful perhaps when selling your car or for concours events, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. I could have put this $100 to better use.

Don't get me wrong, the documentation is nice, presented well and is everything I expected. I just had second thoughts upon receiving it.

Having said all that, I can provide you with the contact info or you could search on Certificate of Authenticity. I believe this site has the info somewhere also-I don't happen to recall where.

chuck
Old 11-26-2003, 01:26 AM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did buy this COA a couple of years ago. I forget what the price was but I am sure it was a fair amount less than $100 back then.

I would only do this again if I purchased a much older 911 and needed to have documentation for restoring and showing the car.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Barney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did our equivalent of a PPI here in the Netherlands, the first thing they did was generate that "birth certificate" simlpy by typing the VIN in in the appropriate computer program at the dealer. Can't your US dealers obtain the same informatoin in the same simple and probably cheap manner ? It was more or less a free service they provided.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC you get a discount with your PCA membership, don't forget to ask for it.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:07 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey folks,

The COA did go up in price - I believe it became effective last January???

As well - if you go to the Rennlist Member site - you can download the form in either PDF or as a Word Document, and yes - of course, you get the same discount from PCNA by being a Rennlist Member as you would by being a PCA Member (no - you can't combine discounts if you belong to both I thought I'd answer that before you asked )

Quick Reply: Porsche Documentation question...