Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes...

I thought I'd take the 993 out for a spin this morning since the sky is perfectly clear, the temps are cool (around 50), and the Porsche hasn't had a good long run in a while. What a mistake!

I have never seen more idiots on the roads in my life. I guess I've been spared having to drive this soccer mom/SUV gauntlet because I'm typically at work at this time of day but I couldn't believe it! I had several people pull out in front of me but the worst incident was about 3 miles from home.

A woman is sitting in her Expedition (with a cell phone stuck in her ear) at the entrance to a subdivision ready to pull onto the highway as I approach. I try to make eye contact and I thought she saw me, but, just as I entered the point of no return, she pulls out! I braked the 993 harder than I have ever braked the car before...stuff on the seat goes flying... ABS is "fully engaged" and I feel like I my eyes are going to be sucked from their sockets! WOW! I couldn't believe how fast I stopped. To make matters worse she stopped halfway out so I stop about 6 inches from her door. Her eyes are open wide and then she does the unbelieveable...she mouths an obscenity at me and flips me off And to answer the obvious question; no...I wasn't speeding!

I maintained my composure but did manage to mouth a very vulgar obscenity before she hauls a$$. I don't think she realizes that if I had been driving my Dodge Hemi Ram today she would be dead...no kidding. I could have never stopped in time and would have nailed her in the door. Idiots and fools are surely protected by angels.

Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:24 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
You're onto something here, if I go in to work later than my usual 7, I find it a total nightmare. It doesn't seem to matter on the weekends either, the further away from civilization I travel to enjoy the twisties the more SUV's and Buick's I find traveling the very same roads. Looks like I'm on my way to a designated track car.

A side note, Porsches do have phenomenal brakes, however the guy behind you driving another SUV or similar has substandard brakes, good thing no one was behind you during your "incident".

Regards,
Andy
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Bill,

Glad to hear that your Big Reds delivered big time braking performance today. I can't believe the reaction of that lady. It's amazing how clueless people are these days.

Rich
Old 11-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bill, Good that you and your porsche are safe.

I don't hate driver on cell phones when they're not disturbing traffic, BUT when their driving awareness takes second priority, I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!! I had this one lady yacking on her cell phone, driving 30mph on a 45mph double yellow lane road. There were like 7 of us(cars) behind her in this country road.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

glad you avoided contact as well as glad nobody was behind you! That boils my blood when people dont pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel of a car (or 3ton battle-barge).

I would have followed her to where she was going and gave a piece of mind!!!!!!

Glad you are fine....
Old 11-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd thank you tires too ;-) Most brakes are only as good as the tires they are trying to stop ! Almost any car can brake this hard - it's more tire dependant than anything else - the porsche advantage is that you could brake this hard for 17 idiots in succession ;-) (a very bad day)
Old 11-25-2003, 12:26 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great story Bill! I know your feeling.

As Andy stated, no one else on the road even thinks about if the car in front of them stops fast will they also be able to stop. This is exactly the reason I react the way I do when some SUV is tailgating me in the PCar -->

I reach over with my left foot and touch the brakes enough so the brake lights come on, then I slowly slow down while making sure they aren't going to hit me. If they don't increase the distance (BACK OFF!!!) I continue to slow down even more until they do... After about 5-10 MPH decrease they get the picture and usually slow down.

I really wish people thought farther ahead than their current running speed and thought about what they would do in an emergency and how they would run right over me in the PCar if I had to stop in an emergency.

Enough for the soap box this morning.

Have a great day!

-Skip
Old 11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad that lady saw fit to bitch you out for her mistake. Things "just happen" around clueless drivers, it is never their fault.

As to the, "glad there was nobody behind you", comment, if I could just share a small story:

Years ago I was travelling southbound on the connector (I-75, I-85) through downtown Atlanta. I was in the "fast" lane, furthest left, and saw that traffic ahead had ground to a halt. I put on the brakes, then glanced in my mirror. I had enough room to stop, but the guy behind me didn't appear to. Courteously, I thought, I steered over into the emergency lane as I was braking to avoid an accident. Sure enough, by the time the guy behind me got stopped he was up by my passenger door. I'm thinking to myself, "Boy, that guy must be thanking me right now, saving him from rear-ending me".

So, traffic starts to move again, and this guy doesn't want to let me back onto the road, blocking me out, what a dick! Did he even realize WHY I was over in the emergency lane? I repeat, what a dick!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:56 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Bill,

Move on. Glad you are OK. Big Reads are great!

One thing I learned this weekend (Traffic School) There are lots of idiots on the road! We all make mistakes and even if we are paying attention. Drive defensively...that's all we can do.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

In these instances I like to just lay on the horn for an extended amount of time and smile at the lady (or whoever). It's really fun to do as you're breathing a sigh of relief, a grin should cross your face at nearly avoiding ruining your precious and it really drives the point home about how much of a worthless individual the opposing party is. Glad your car made it back to the garage bill!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:30 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

You are right about being lucky no was behind me...I didn't have time to look and don't know what I could have done even if there was.

I did experience something similar to ApexL8 a couple of months in Atlanta but I was on a track...Road Atlanta to be precise! We were doing a "tour the track" session during the Historic Races and on the last lap we came around turn 7 and everyone was stopped. I looked back in my rear view mirror and some guy driving a F-350 Crew Cab was right behind me. I darted to the side as he locked them up. I was happy I moved because he wound up stopping where my back seat would have been.

The fun thing about my "track experience" was that there were several ricers and a few other "performance" cars ahead of us (me and my two boys) and you could smell their hot brakes and clutches all the way around (we got 6 or 7 laps in). They consistently tried to outrun us (keep in mind these are touring sessions although we hit 100mph on the back stretch once) but it was a pitiful attempt. The Porsche literally loafed around the track (with the a/c on no less) and we stayed with them the whole time with me staying mostly in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. On that trip I got a sense of what you track drivers get to experience...Porsche engineering at its finest!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:49 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Bill,
You must sign up for a DE! You did track touring, so I know that piqued your interest. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Registration opened up yesterday for the January PeachState Region DE:

http://www.peachstatepca.org/

(There shouldn't be any F-350s out there during the actual DE )
Old 11-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

What's ironic about this is that the stupid driver was probably in an SUV because it is "safer" - ie their thinking was, wehn getting this shiny new tank if some idiot hits you, you can walk away. People get in an SUV and forget about the need to concentrate on driving carefully.

My office is over in the west SF valley, in Calabasas, and in the mornings it's full of SUVs doing the school run, Latte in one hand, cell phone in the other and no hands on the wheel, or at least that what it looks like. This is a serious road safety issue.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:22 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Dave,
You live in Santa Monica and commute to Calabasas? (just kidding).

I did a cross country trip last spring, and upon returning I vowed not to complain about Georgia drivers for one full week. I realized it ain't just GA drivers, the problem is epidemic and spans all gender, race, age groups, and vehicle types. There are more and more bad drivers everywhere (across the US at least).

My personal therapy is to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs whenever somebody does something stupid in front of me. The offending driver is usually none the worse for wear, because they are so oblivious to their surroundings that they don't realize I am screaming at them. The yelling is quite cathartic, it is easier to relax afterwards and get on to where I'm going. If I have a passenger with me I will tone it down a bit to disgruntled muttering, because I don't want to startle them and make them spill their latte. Still good stuff, let the rage out.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:43 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Originally posted by ApexL8
So, traffic starts to move again, and this guy doesn't want to let me back onto the road, blocking me out, what a dick! Did he even realize WHY I was over in the emergency lane? I repeat, what a dick!
Damn, the stupidity and rudeness of people today is simply astounding, yes WHAT A DICK!!! Gets me pissed off and I am only hearing the story second hand.

Quick Reply: Thank you, Porsche, for your phenomenal brakes...