993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear seat improvements for kids?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear seat improvements for kids?

My son has outgrown the car seats that fit in the 911. But the rear support obviously sucks for real road trips. Anyone have any kid - friendly and kid sleep friendly solutions? Just pillows?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:09 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The issue is how old is your son and is he past an age / weight where he is required to be in a car or booster seat.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I didn't explain well. The seat belt receptacle is too high for a kid to be positioned well across their hips rather than stomach.

Last edited by JPS; 09-21-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I saw the below on the internet:
It seems to suggest where an adult seat belt needs to lay on a child's body to be effective.
I would think placing a cushion under a child to raise their torso into the correct position would improve the function of the seat belt, however, don't take my word on this as I am not an automotive safety expert, however, there is lots of information on the subject published by those who are. Good luck with developing a solution for your child's safety.

Andy

"Using a Seat Belt:
An adult seat belt fits correctly when:
The shoulder belt lies across the middle of the chest and shoulder, not the neck or throat.

The lap belt is low and snug across the upper thighs, not the belly.

Your child is tall enough to sit against the vehicle seat back with her knees bent over the edge of the seat without slouching and can comfortably stay in this position throughout the trip."

https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...en-Adults.aspx
Old 08-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cosco makes a small booster that fits in the back.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Andy has an idea of what's needed. A "booster" seat does just that. Boost the child into the correct position, to have belt properly secure them (over top of thigh/hip/pelvic area, and over shoulder. You can get a tether that will reposition shoulder restraint, to go over shoulder better. The rear seats are nominal at best for ANY passengers. My concern would be an occupant in the back, striking the lower window sill area (head) and neck injuries, since head/neck support is NA in the rear.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:04 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Missed the replies on this, thanks.

So he really doesn't need a booster given his height. But he does need a booster to get the seatbelt to be across his hips/thighs, as the receptacle is that oddly high way they have it mounted.

So has anyone figured out a way to lower the receptacle, so it will hold the seatbelt lower across his hips/thighs?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 380 Likes on 238 Posts

We used a little inflatable booster seat for the same reason. It fit perfectly in the narrow rear seat and helped my little guy fit securely. I'll look around to see if that booster seat is still lying around somewhere - it's been a couple of years.

(EDIT -- I think it was the "bubblebum" - sold at Target).

/
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I used this small Harmony booster for $10 that worked great in the 993. My daughter liked it so much she wanted to use it our other cars.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Y...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I’ve used bubblebum. I like it. But he doesn’t need it any longer. He bumps against the glass. So I’d like to figure out a seat belt solution with no booster.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 AM
safetravel4kids
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Missed the replies on this, thanks.

So he really doesn't need a booster given his height. But he does need a booster to get the seatbelt to be across his hips/thighs, as the receptacle is that oddly high way they have it mounted.

So has anyone figured out a way to lower the receptacle, so it will hold the seatbelt lower across his hips/thighs?
You simply need to have him wear a belt positioning system such as the RideSafer. If he is below 57in tall, he needs to have a proper child restraint in the rear seat. If you have any further questions about how to use the existing seatbelt with such equipment, please feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

You simply need to have him wear a belt positioning system such as the RideSafer
I don't think I'm being clear. I'm not concerned about the positioning of the shoulder belt. He's about 57" tall, but the issue is in the rear of the 993, the lap belt buckle is not down in the crease of the seat...it sits up rather high, so that instead of ensuring the lap belt is low and snug over the hip bones, it allows the lap belt to ride up into the stomach area.

If I put him back in his booster, his head is about 1/2 or 1" away from the rear windshield. So sort of too small for no seat, and too big for a booster, given the slope of the back of the 993.

Last edited by JPS; 10-15-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:21 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I just discovered this seat over the summer. It seems impossibly minimalist, but it’s designed specifically to force the correct placement of the lap belt and shoulder belt without lifting the child higher. It has all certifications needed in Canada and US, and other many other countries (as I understand it).

The 993 rear lap belt buckle sits foolishly high on the hump, and this “booster” does a good job of pinning the belt down on both sides of the lap/hips. In my opinion, for it to work properly in the 993 it relies on the locking of the belt in the event of an accident to ensure it can’t tilt up on the buckle side. But if the belt IS locked tight it should hold the child the proper position.

Have a look: www.mifold.com

I tried the Cosco booster as well, and it still has some oddness about how the buckle side fits. But I’d be using the Cosco if I hadn’t found the MiFold. My 5yr old daughter is thrilled to go for rides with me in the 993 - and I’m thrilled to have her with me.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:21 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ironic. I just found and ordered one today as well.

What do you mean by locking?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Ironic. I just found and ordered one today as well.

What do you mean by locking?
The inertial locking mechanism in the seatbelt gear. With a sudden tug (or impact) the belt gear locks to maintain tension.

As you’ll see when you fasten the mifold booster (ie belt-relocation device) there is still some looseness on the buckle side because the buckle’s mounting bolt is so high up the hump. My concern is that if there was an impact, the child’s hips could lift 2-3” on the buckle side before the lap belt found resistance. But to my earlier point, I think if the belts are positioned snugly, and the inertial lock was to engage, the snug and locked shoulder strap would decrease/prevent the chances of that lift.

I find two things ridiculous about the rear seat belt design in the 993:
1. The buckle mounting point is NOT at the seat base
2. The buckle has a 3-4” strap to making the receptacle even farther away from the mounting point

For all the clever engineering in the car, the rear safety belt design was not well executed IMO.

Curious to hear your thoughts when you get it.

Quick Reply: Rear seat improvements for kids?