Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on clutch/flywheel/pressure plate condition...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Question on clutch/flywheel/pressure plate condition...

When I bought my '95 993 in September with 41k miles it wasn't very pleasant to drive. The clutch was very difficult to use, and driving in traffic was not fun at all. I even stalled it out a few times. It was suffering from the hanging clutch problem.

So -- I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders and installed the updated kinematic lever. Big improvement. The clutch now has a very smooth feel to it, but there still wasn't a lot of travel between on and off. So in general the car was much nicer to drive, but I got the feeling it could be better. Since one of the signs of a worn clutch is reduced travel, I wanted to take a look at it.

After removing the tranny, I found that the critical clutch disk measurement was 0.5 mm (more than the 0.3 mm wear limit) so there was still some life left. But now that it's out, I'll definitely replace the disk.

The flywheel and pressure plate surfaces look good, but have an odd coloring to them. I've attached a picture of the flywheel surface -- what do you think? Also, are there any other tests I can do on the pressure plate and throwout bearing to see if they're okay?

Chris.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Chris L
Racer

And here's the pressure plate:
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2003, 07:03 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

There is definitely some hot spots, but they are quite normal for a used clutch. I guess the phrase "while your in there" applies here. Since your replacing the clutch disk, I hear RS flywheel kit in the background....
Old 11-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Chris:

LOL,..I'd agree with Chris (Walrod),.....a previous owner was not nice to it.

The lightweight RS flywheel & clutch setup makes a big difference in performance and is more durable although you will need to modify the Idle Stabilizer to help prevent some potential stalling.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:55 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine last a couple of days ago with the LWF. Hard to tell if it makes a difference on my car. Stuff happened too fast before... Only my lap times will tell.

My stock clutch also had similar hot spots on it, and was riding high on the pedal before the swap....
Old 11-23-2003, 10:11 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Their are some hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate but nothing that would concern me too much. I changed my flywheel, disc and pp to the mid-weight Andial unit. Love It! An absolute must though is to replace the rear main seal. Oh and yes of course the T/O bearing. Don't even think about bolting everything up without taking these steps. These 911 engines tend to be a bit harder on seals with all the added heat. My .02 worth.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:25 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
although you will need to modify the Idle Stabilizer to help prevent some potential stalling.
Does this reduce potential HP at WOT because the engine/dme has no idea about the (new) extra air?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jason:

Oh no,.........the ISV merely controls idle speed by bypassing a tiny bit of air only when the throttle plate is closed.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:03 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris L,
How hard was the tranny to remove. Were there any tricky bolts/nuts to get to?

Also, while you are there you may want to replace the pilot bearing and check the oil pressure sending unit for leaks and power steering belt for cracks.

TIA,

George
Old 11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Chris L
Racer

George,

Well, it's not easy. Princeton Wong did a great diy post that I followed. The most difficult bolts/nuts are the top starter mounting nut and the release fork shaft retainer bolt (and rubber plug). All-in-all it's very doable, you just need to be patient. Also, you need to have a good transmission jack.

I'll post more when I have it back in.

Chris.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:12 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

George

Quick Reply: Question on clutch/flywheel/pressure plate condition...