993 Forum 1995-1998

Another Creaking Windshield story

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 AM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Another Creaking Windshield story

So my 96 993 had a periodic window creak from the top far right side. I have basically driven with it for about a year but eventually thought I need to get rid of this. I bought the cord from Pelican Parts and had it installed a week ago. It didn't get rid of the noise it might have been worse and I was a bit frustrated. So I sprayed a dry lubricant under the seal last week and next day it was gone. I drove about 100 miles last night up to Michigan and back and basically never heard a noise out of the window except for one moment going around a slow curve. I know there are about 100 forum links on this subject but I thought I would share one more. I have to say though I think there was more chatter coming from the windshield than I realized and I believe the car is overall much quieter with the cord. Anyhow thought I would share. I haven't posted much since I bought my 993 last summer but really find these forum very valuable so thanks everyone. My 993 is my fifth 911 but first 993. It is a 117000 mile two owner car before me that was very well taken care of. Love it.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
woohoosocal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience.

What dry lube did you use?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM
drodg
Racer

Technician's Choice Silicone lube. I had used it previously on my door seals and it seemed to do a good job. I know the Pedro's Ice Wax seems like the preferred choice here but I don't think you can get it in an aerosol can with a straw anymore. Anyhow it works for the time being but how long it lasts we will see.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

from what I'm told the cord is used to keep the seal level with the frame. I too was suffering from a squeaky windshield after the replacement. There are some tricks that only an experienced German glass shop knows. For example the V shape to apply the silicone. Also in my car, one side was a little low which caused the windshield to not sit flush.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:41 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 290 Posts

I use Pedros- in a small squirt bottle- Apply liberally. Works great.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to also check the tunnel cover under your car. You want to make sure all nuts are tight and NONE are rusted and broken off.

That tunnel cover also acts as a chassis support.

Mine were almost all broken when I got my car and someone had sheet metal screws holding it on. I have new studs welded on and new nuts. My doors don't rattle over bumps anymore 95% of the time now and the car drives like a new car.

My windshield was not making noise but everything else was
Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM
drodg
Racer

I may buy a bottle of the Pedro's. My car is pretty tight without many rattles at all. The creak in the windshield was uncharacteristic of the rest of the car. I looked at my car's previous owner history and the windshield was replaced in 2008. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate this forum.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To add another data point...
i just replaced windshield twice in 3 months due to cracks. I used the same intaller that came recommended both times. Btw, no shop or dealer does install, they all use some glass guy. I used the same guy who does work for local Porsche dealer including their all aircooled.
First time I requested the tech who knows what to do, I came to their facility and waited for over 2 hours for him to do the install. Took the car, seemed fine and it was great to have new windshield. Well, the thing was creaking like crazy after a day or two.

second, time I used the same company but had them come to me instead. I wasnt even there for the install (just left the key with doorman). After the install I let the car sit for 24 hours. No creaking this time. I don't honestly know if letting it cure was the reason or other things are at play there.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 AM
drodg
Racer

That is interesting that you let the car sit for a day and no creaking. Most of you who have had the creaking does it seem to come more from the top of the windshield/roof area?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Great thread to start up again. My is creaking and am considering a replacement.

Any pictures to share on install the cord and the dry lubricant?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM
drodg
Racer

Well I took no pictures for the cord install. I just lifted the seal on the outside and sprayed the dry lubricant in there pretty liberally and let it set and it went away. It still does a weird creak at times but rarely and that I can put up with.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here you go.

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, hardback sport seats, leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Creak Spray

This works great.......
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:24 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

My experience was the only solution was a replacement windshield. The squeaky noise is because the windshield isn't fitted right and is not handling the chassis flex hence movement and squeak.

From experience also, when the windshield in in wrong, the rubber seal doesn't seal and even with RTV & silicon, I still had rust in the windscreen channel that needed addressing also.

The cheapest fix is to get a new windshield fitted correctly (guaranteed - you'll know) and while you're at it protect that investment with a plastic screen coating, mine has paid for itself 2 times over at least.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 AM
drodg
Racer

I have chain wax from my motorcycle days. Interesting and isn't that basically what Pedro's is?

Quick Reply: Another Creaking Windshield story