Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my V1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 10:04 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have my remote display in my ash tray (pending a better location). FYI, you do not need to remove the plastic liner...what you will have to do though is cut off a portion of the white plastic piece that filters the light at the top of the liner so that the cable can be fed through. If you leave the plastic liner in, then the remote display is a friction fit. This is what I chose to do.

Also, if you are patient enough you do not need to disasseble your ashtray or dash to feed the wire...you do need to get your hand back there or you can feed a flexible wire through the ash tray, find the end, and pull the RJ11 cable through. Also to make things easier...I bought extra long RJ11 cable from Radio Shack as well as a crimping tool so that I could make my cable any length.

Another alternate mounting location for those who have an aftermarket stereo with a digital clock is to mount the remote in one of those plastic covers that replace the clock...this won't be as discreet though.

I'm also still waiting for a suitable "pouch" to mount the main unit...hopefully when Tech Law can take a break from being a new father...(btw - congratulations! )
Old 11-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Re: tint and laser

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
Gerry, I'm not sure where you're located, but if they are legal there, I would just put the main unitright below the rearview mirror. This way it has good view of both front and behind. IMHO, if this is the situation, I would put the remote display where I could easily see it. The V1 Manual says avoid the "reflective" sun shades, I don't think our blue tint falls under the "reflective" type.
Mike,
The manual (Page 22) reads: Some windshields have a dark tint band across the top. Avoid mounting behind that band.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: tint and laser

Originally posted by Novice
Mike,
The manual (Page 22) reads: Some windshields have a dark tint band across the top. Avoid mounting behind that band.
Gerry,

Page 15 of the manual also says "mirrored sun screens". I used the wrong term thats what I meant by reflective It continues to say "...so do solar barrier windshields of the type used on GM Venture-Montana-Silhoutte-Trans Sport minivans and some luxury sedans(look for Reddish or Copper tint.)"

Radio signals, like radar will greatly be degraded by anything that has metalic in it. That's why we don't paint our aircraft radomes with paint that contains metalic pigments(in the old days, Lead). But regular paint, signal will pass through just fine. Just like those marine antenas protected by fiberlglass shell then painted white. The green tint or blue tint should be ok for radar, IMHO. BUT Laser is totally diff story.. that could be reduced by any tint.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:35 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: tint and laser

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
The green tint or blue tint should be ok for radar, IMHO. BUT Laser is totally diff story.. that could be reduced by any tint.
There is no difference between laser signal filtering from the tinted & untinted areas of our Porsche windshields. See V1 FAQ re: windshield tinting & laser detection.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tint and laser

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
There is no difference between laser signal filtering from the tinted & untinted areas of our Porsche windshields. See V1 FAQ re: windshield tinting & laser detection.

Dan, good to know that the 98 Turbo is not affected. I hope I have the same tint band on my 97-C2.

From the V1 link you provided:

-"Avoid putting your detector behind the tint band at the top, unless you're sure it has no effect. We found major losses due to the tint on some cars, and no additional losses on others."

-"You might add a tint strip across the top of your windshield to cut glare. If so, a laser detector will suffer a serious loss of performance when placed behind the tint."

-" That means that darker windshields hurt laser-detector performance on gray days and at night."

I know that radio waves can be degraded or detuned by anything that has metal. Laser, which is light can be reduced or degraded by darkened glass. Just like sun glasses.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:15 AM
williet1342
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wow - What a response - THANKS

Thanks to Boris and all the others who responded to this thread. Subs are in and the 993 in ROCKING. I'm too old to "thump" and all that but it does sound great.

Thanks for the input.

Rennlist works.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:20 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

To all V1 users,
Consider this stealthy install in addition to the nifty ashtray one!
http://www.p-car.com/diy/v1/remote/
The ashtray is certainly stealthy but I need all of the available storage I can get!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

The ashtray mount looks really nice but IMHO the visual display is too far out of your line of sight. I think the visul display needs to be directly in front of you - especially for those of us who can't seem to advance beyond the age of 17 and like the music "to go to 11".

If you have the in-dash Porsche computer (as I do) then the speedo mount also doesn't work. I hang mine a few inches above the center of the dash and it works great - except for the false laser from LED taillights!

I'm still waiting for a burst of inspiration (and motivation) to design a better mount. The car goes into the audio shop next week for a new amp and subwoofer enclosure so I'll see if the AKA guys can come up with something.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:53 PM
141 Starlifter
6th Gear

There is a company that does the remote display in the rereview mirror. and they add a volume/mute switch to the bottom of the mirror. If you do a Google search for valentine installation it is in a BMW section.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:06 PM
141 Starlifter
6th Gear

This is a web site for the mirror display. It is for a BMW but they do the same thing for Porsche. http://www.m3motorwerks.com/products...php/II=70/PA=8
Old 05-30-2004, 10:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 141 Starlifter
This is a web site for the mirror display. It is for a BMW but they do the same thing for Porsche. http://www.m3motorwerks.com/products...php/II=70/PA=8
There have been several threads here during the past years about this expensive option available from a few sources. As discussed in those threads, other than a slick install, what's the point? For $300-$400 you get a semi-concealed remote, but still need to locate the V1 unit itself somewhere. It's easily visible to following drivers (esp at night) & is further outside your peripheral vision than a tach area mount. Seems to be all about form over function. [Catty reference to Bimmers deleted].
Old 05-31-2004, 01:25 AM
nman413
Drifting

Is there a reason other than it being visible to a cop that the remote display is being used? I kinda figure it being such a small car and all. AFAIK, it's legal to have one in California.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by icerbofh
Is there a reason other than it being visible to a cop that the remote display is being used? I kinda figure it being such a small car and all. AFAIK, it's legal to have one in California.
Tailgaters

I'm thinking about this for my audi...I emailed him previously about whether he could do something similar for my 993 (currently remote is in ashtray but have been thinking of doing a tach mount) but never got a reply. www.toyguydesign.com
Old 05-31-2004, 01:37 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by icerbofh
My V1 is mounted above the rear view mirror, close to the headliner. It is well outside my field of vision. My remote is as easily seen by me as my tach, but is blocked from the view of other drivers.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

What if you have a tach with the computer display as the Turbo does - can you still mount the remote display on the steering column? Will it obscure the computer display?

Quick Reply: Installed my V1