Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a 993, get service before driving it home?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 AM
deutschnine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll spell it out for you again Tires, Tires, Tires and Brakes are the fundamentals if you insist on driving... it's your safety and that of other road users. All other posters comments stand also as it sounds like you are committed to drive home. Safe journey, I fear you have little to worry about
Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 AM
C2S
Intermediate

Congrats. Very exciting times I am sure.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Belts? Bring spares.

Focus on stuff that will leave you on the side of the road and make sure the levels are good on fluids.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

If you do decide to have them change the oil, make sure they don't overfill. Few shops understand that the oil in our vehicles is checked while idling at full operating temp. IMHO, I'd just check the oil level and color as mentioned above. 10+ qts. of oil only 18 mo. old and low mileage should be o.k. until you get home. Concur that tire age is important but, if the vehicle has been stored out of sunlight and in a cool garage, the tires can be a little older than the usually accepted 5-7 year range. If the brakes are firm and the color of the fluid in the reservoir is light and clear, I would think you're going to make it home w/o bleeding. Enjoy the trip!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check oil color/level, and confirm good tires/pressure. Then drive it home...you will be fine.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Having driven many of these cars home from a purchase, some cross country...I'd rank tires, brakes and belts at the top of the must do/have list before setting out, especially so if the car has been sitting for some time.

If you don't change the belts, at least have a set available in the car.

And an 'extra' DME Relay in the glove box.

Make sure you understand how to read the gauges, search here for correct function. Know how to read oil level, pressure and temp correctly.

Put the spare door valet key in your wallet. I've somehow locked myself out of 993's twice while on the road. I swear both times the immobilizer lockout system just went into lock mode on it's own. They're not easy to get back into.

That's not actually a bad price quoted for all that work, new plugs probably not necessary, but they're not easy to change.

Have fun!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems you are going to have the work done anyway, so why not "now" while it's in the hands of a shop you apparently trust. Then you'll know the car is "as good as it can be" before you take it home.

As others have mentioned, tires can be a critical component. When I contracted for my C2S I made it contingent on PPI such that any issues found would be addressed on the spot and deducted from the price of the car. This was accepted by the seller because the car was presented as "up to date and ready to enjoy". We used the Porsche CPO form and Porsche 993 service schedule as exhibits to the contract, so things like tires, brakes, etc. were all in play. The PPI found the tires were 10 years old and dry-rotted and that brake fluid and oil hadn't been changed in years though the car was lightly used. So everything "aged out" vs. "wore out". I seem to recall about $2,200 of tires, parts and labor brought it up to 100% and so the day the car arrived I had confidence of many years and miles of enjoyment in front of me.

Sure enough, almost 6 years later and all I've had is typical service plus 2 minor items: Odometer gear disintegration (I replaced) and the old "press the brakes to sound the horn" issue.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche CPO Checklist.pdf (161.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Derek911
Racer

I would check everything over and drive it home. Have spare belts and what ever else is recommended to have in the car. 500 miles is nothing. There is more risk that the service tech messes something up than driving it as is. Leave well enough alone and when you get home you can do whatever you want.
The worst thing you can do is have a major service then get on a road trip and not have time to check if everything was done right. Why put your faith in a mechanic when you already have a running car? An extra 500 miles on oil or brake fluid or tranny fluid is nothing. But a leaking oil filter or oil drain bolt or overfilled crankcase or a bad brake bleed job will really mess a trip up. When work is done you need time to make sure it was done right, then jump on a road trip.

The main thing is knowing when to call it quits on a road trip and have it towed home. Any noises, warning lights, low pressure, etc. Find a uhaul dealer, rent a pickup truck and full car trailer and bring it home if need be.
You can even just trailer it home to begin with and not worry about it altogether.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

HI guys, I'm going to be in a similar situation. Only slightly alarmed that everyone here thinks we would need to carry extra 'parts' for a 500-1500 mile trip. Are the cars that unreliable, or are people just being extra cautious? My first and only Porsche was a 997 Spyder, and other than regular maintenance never worried about anything.

The 993 engines are supposed to be 'solid' and a car from 1995 isn't that old - do belts and DME relays go out that often?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rohitgarewal
HI guys, I'm going to be in a similar situation. Only slightly alarmed that everyone here thinks we would need to carry extra 'parts' for a 500-1500 mile trip. Are the cars that unreliable, or are people just being extra cautious? My first and only Porsche was a 997 Spyder, and other than regular maintenance never worried about anything.

The 993 engines are supposed to be 'solid' and a car from 1995 isn't that old - do belts and DME relays go out that often?
993s are robust but they are over 20 years old. And if the car is new to you, you don't always exactly know what has/hasn't been addressed.

Most cars with up to date maintenance/parts can do a 5,000 mile road trip home without a problem, but who wants to be stranded on the open road with a new car they know little about because a $20 belt hadn't been replaced in over a decade?

Aside from tires, most of these suggestions fall under the "better safe and than sorry" over-cautious realm.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 07-19-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't worried whether my car could make the trip, rather I knew it was a very low mile example and that service was likely not up to date. So if the plan is to bring service up to date, including road-worthy tires, why not have it done before leaving? My pre-purchase service included replacing the belts - cheap insurance for a then 14 year old set.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make sure all four tires are in a "safe" condition, check the oil level, and drive it home.
When you get home you can show it to your local indy and get his opinion of areas needing attention. A good time for you to experience the "slippery slope" of DIY 993 maintenance and ownership.
Have a great time on the drive!
Phil
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

I am in the get in and drive it home crowd. Bring a spare DME and post pics upon arrival...great bonding experience.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 PM
woohoosocal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Drive it...the unintentional, goofy grin you will catch yourself sporting across your face for 500 straight miles is worth it.

When I bought mine I only had to drive a 100 miles down a So Cal freeway but I wanted to keep going for another 200.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree with checking the safety items and then drive the car home. When I bought my car I replaced the tires and then drove over 1000 miles without any issues.

Since it's summer, consider checking the AC before departure so you don't roast on the way home.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 993, get service before driving it home?