Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I see disappointment in your future.
I have faith
Old 01-26-2018, 04:37 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
...the bumper covers were visually too heavy and poorly integrated and most of them came with the horrible Design 90 wheels (picture below.) It wasn't till about 4 years ago that 964 started to escalate and reverse some of its losses.
Love reading your design critiques... most people seem to misunderstand the front bumper design on the 964, especially in isolation. Ever seen a 964 parked right next to a Longhood, ever look at the design closely? I agree with you a bit in regards to the rear bumper, but there's not much they could since they couldn't change the fenders and it's not cool to see an exhaust hanging down below the bumper. Actually the rear bumper panel on the 993 (and 991) is huge, but with sculptured bumpers, it's better integrated from the rear.

Copied from another bumper thread...

Actually they "protrude" less than most people think.

It seems hard for a camera lens to really capture the true muscle and simplicity of the 964's design; it comes off large and soft (it is a little soft on the side because of the sils - like Cobalt mentioned above). That said, I was able to park my car next to a longhood once and enjoyed looking at how similar the two are. The front is actually a thing a beauty in how close it's replicated. Thankfully the 964 put an end to the long on the tooth impact bumper design!

The rear bumper is a different story...

I agree the 964's rear bumper is a little too big for my liking. But, it's a simple and honest design (that really works on the Turbo), and seeing the exhaust hanging below the bumper is a little 70's...

I love that the two cars are the same size!

back to regularly scheduled programing....
Old 01-26-2018, 04:41 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Let's have some faith and trust Porsche, over 70 years they still are making an outstanding product in my opinion with the 991.2...

I will say however, even trying to be optimistic with my absolute favorite car brand, that it was interesting that for their 70 year anniversary marketing all over Instagram they are showing the original first produced 356 for the past and Mission E for the future.....where the hell is the iconic 911....
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
How depressing. WTF, Porsche! The 981’s were masterpieces. WHY they messed with them is beyond me.
They basically explained it when the 718 was launched. The 981 was a way to get a lot of expensive 911 parts and options with a 911-derived powertrain without paying the markup that made the 911 the most profitable mainstream production car in the world. Porsche understood that they were cannibalizing their own margins, and the 718 was the fix.

The 718's smaller engine also made it significantly more attractive in several international markets, including (but by no means limited to) China. It was always going to be necessary for them to release a smaller-displacement engine for the interim years before everything goes hybrid/electric... just as it was always going to be necessary to turbocharge all of the 911s for both regulatory and competitive reasons. The 981 didn't have to die to make room for a new car with a turbo four-banger, and indeed there were rumors of a new entry-level model based on the new engine. But as mentioned above, they had other reasons to kill the 981.

I think it's wrong to see the 718 as a serious strategic mistake on Porsche's part, as Georg does in his article. And I definitely don't think it's causing "heartburn in Weissach," whatever that means. The 718 is more like a tactical retreat from the North American market.

Ultimately, the problem is that we just don't buy enough 911s or Boxsters/Caymans to justify catering to.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Let's have some faith and trust Porsche, over 70 years they still are making an outstanding product in my opinion with the 991.2...

I will say however, even trying to be optimistic with my absolute favorite car brand, that it was interesting that for their 70 year anniversary marketing all over Instagram they are showing the original first produced 356 for the past and Mission E for the future.....where the hell is the iconic 911....
I think your second part sort of “answers” your first part. They’re navigating much different waters right now, and it’s natural that a lot of people won’t like their best efforts, and for those who do to still feel apprehensive of how much “911” will be in future 911’s. Let’s remember that the 911 is the one car (aside from maybe the G Wagon to some small extent) who’s profitability and success grew WITH increased focus on heritage. Going away from that doesn’t render it a 911 anymore. Which could be why Porsche is pivoting to the E in “future roads” ads.

To some, the water cooled was the first sign. To some, the larger and comfier 991 chassis was the first sign. To some of us, the 3.0 turbo with prevalence on torque and auditory isolation was the first sign. More than likely, the 992 or 993 will have to be the culmination of whatever “sign” or signs you choose.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
They basically explained it when the 718 was launched. The 981 was a way to get a lot of expensive 911 parts and options with a 911-derived powertrain without paying the markup that made the 911 the most profitable mainstream production car in the world. Porsche understood that they were cannibalizing their own margins, and the 718 was the fix.

The 718's smaller engine also made it significantly more attractive in several international markets, including (but by no means limited to) China. It was always going to be necessary for them to release a smaller-displacement engine for the interim years before everything goes hybrid/electric... just as it was always going to be necessary to turbocharge all of the 911s for both regulatory and competitive reasons. The 981 didn't have to die to make room for a new car with a turbo four-banger, and indeed there were rumors of a new entry-level model based on the new engine. But as mentioned above, they had other reasons to kill the 981.

I think it's wrong to see the 718 as a serious strategic mistake on Porsche's part, as Georg does in his article. And I definitely don't think it's causing "heartburn in Weissach," whatever that means. The 718 is more like a tactical retreat from the North American market.

Ultimately, the problem is that we just don't buy enough 911s or Boxsters/Caymans to justify catering to.
Interesting. But man, your second to last paragraph isn’t any less depressing. In fact, more so. :/
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
More than likely, the 992 or 993 will have to be the culmination of whatever “sign” or signs you choose.
993? Are you referring to the next 911 after the 992? The 993 is already an existing 911 version (1994-1998).

Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
993? Are you referring to the next 911 after the 992? The 993 is already an existing 911 version (1994-1998).
It was/will be both of those things at the same time as NoGa pointed out.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

I think he probably has some relevant insider info for his statements (which are more in depth than just the one quite) vs. your "opinion".

It seems the 718 has been a disappointment overall, not just the USA.

Not to mention, the 718 name was probably a bust in itself.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Porsche is in the business of trying to convince us what we should be buying.

BMW managed to screw things up. History is full of examples.

Mission E?? No thanks. I'll pass. They have a lot of $$ going into this thing. They'll market the hell out of it. If it flops, they're screwed.

By the way, will look more like a Panamera. Don't expect the white futuristic one they showed a while back.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by phow

Yes interesting how the numbers have gone, not much methodology as far as I can see !?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Mission E?? No thanks. I'll pass. They have a lot of $$ going into this thing. They'll market the hell out of it. If it flops, they're screwed.

By the way, will look more like a Panamera. Don't expect the white futuristic one they showed a while back.
I agree. Porsche is betting the farm on this concept. I think it will not go as well as they think.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

So true. The E60, as well as all of the F chassis models are proof of that.
They discarded nigh a century of sporting heritage to become another ULV mill.

We shouldn't rule out the 992 just yet, as Porsche could have vastly improved the steering and shifter. We just don't know yet.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

It was/will be both of those things at the same time as NoGa pointed out.
There is no evidence that the successor to the 992 will be the 993. Have they ever re-used a three digit code before?

The 991 wasn't the 998 for the same reason...
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I agree, based on the spy shots we have seen. Kind of concerns me - hope it still looks great!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:02 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Automobile Magazine claims to know the schedule for introduction of the 992: Porsche’s Reinvention.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

Here’s what we know:

• October 2018: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S coupés revealed, with first customer deliveries February 2019.
• January 2019: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S cabriolet unveiled, with cars, cars in dealers from April.
• April 2019: Entry-level Carrera 2/4 in coupé and convertible form launched, with sales starting July.
• September 2019: 911 turbo coupé and Carrera 2/4 GTS unveiled, and will be on sale from February 2020.

Last edited by 9ELOVIN; 01-28-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Fix link

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE