Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
2 This has the C4/S rear light bar... so either they will be adding a side intake to the C4S or this is a 4S with a vent to confuse us... or the new Turbo will have a light bar?
I don't think so. Look at the rear spoiler. This is a Turbo, not a C4S with a decal side intake.

Regardless, I'm very excited about the 930 direction 992 styling is going in!
I'm sure the real thing will look spectacular!
So am I. I think the 992 is shaping up to be a fantastic looking car. I really like the wider stance and the ridge lines on the hood. Very nice.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't think so. Look at the rear spoiler. This is a Turbo, not a C4S with a decal side intake.

So am I. I think the 992 is shaping up to be a fantastic looking car. I really like the wider stance and the ridge lines on the hood. Very nice.
yup I agree, that does mean though that the new Turbo will have the C4S lightbar.
Hmmmmm could one extrapolate that they might even have this because.... there will be a awd and a 2wd Turbo version
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

It's looking like all 992s will have lightbars. Just like the new Panamera.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Does anyone think this is a disturbing trend? Like a 911 must look like Panamera, that must look like the Cayenne,....and so on. I know brand identity is important, but must everything in a builders lineup have the exact same styling queues across cars, SUVs, etc? Read somewhere that Lexus doing this actually backfired due to most people not liking the new grill that seems to adorn all new Lexus vehicles.

If a styling queue bombs,....the whole lineup is affected. Recently happened to Acura (their previous fugly front end), yet manufactures continue to do it. Why can't a 911 have it's own identity through and through, do something different compared to just copying another model in the lineup.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Does anyone think this is a disturbing trend? Like a 911 must look like Panamera, that must look like the Cayenne,....and so on. I know brand identity is important, but must everything in a builders lineup have the exact same styling queues across cars, SUVs, etc? Read somewhere that Lexus doing this actually backfired due to most people not liking the new grill that seems to adorn all new Lexus vehicles.

If a styling queue bombs,....the whole lineup is affected. Recently happened to Acura (their previous fugly front end), yet manufactures continue to do it. Why can't a 911 have it's own identity through and through, do something different compared to just copying another model in the lineup.
We may be reading too much into this. The lightbar may just be added to all AWD 911s and the C2/C2S wont have it. It's pretty popular anyway and has market time so I don't think it will be a fail.

Agree on the Lexus/Acura comments. Fugly.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

yup I agree, that does mean though that the new Turbo will have the C4S lightbar.
Hmmmmm could one extrapolate that they might even have this because.... there will be a awd and a 2wd Turbo version
I agree that it's looking like the 992 will all have lightbars, so I wonder if they are going to break the mold with the 4/4S being visually different from the 2/2S with wider body and lightbar..

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
The 718/Cayenne seem to have something similar to the lightbar I think as well..

Totally agree. Not a fan of trying to merge the styling across models, that is what BMW and Merc are doing and I can barely tell the difference from C/E/S class and 3/5/7 series.... The 911 is a hallmark car, don't adapt it to the Panamera/Cayenne!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

The Lexus article was on Carbuzz: Old Lexus Owners Called To Complain About The New Radical Styling

I personally think the 991.1 has been the best 911 after the classic line, the .2 has exterior changes from .1 that I didn't like at all especially on the GT line (except the front hood in the RS spy shots)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

As you know, some of these styling cues are starting on the other models and ending up on the 911. They're all inbred. I think it helps sell the various models and plus saves them $$ when you have common components.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:59 PM
STG
Race Director

By the way, Lexus really screwed up. They look like sh*t. So much bad design out there with cars these days.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
By the way, Lexus really screwed up. They look like sh*t. So much bad design out there with cars these days.
I think the problem is more design by committee than shared design elements. The 308/F355/F50/360/456/etc all have the same taillights with no issues, and they’ve had a lot worse taillight designs since they went away from that. But then you try to make a Panamera look like it has a 911 back end because it’s pre-determined they’ll share design language and it looks terrible, yet on the 911 it’s one of the greatest design shapes of all time. I like the Macan taillights but don’t love them shoehorned into a 991.1 taillight hole to get the .2.

I think an important key to a great looking car is giving the designer latitude to use or ignore shared design elements, not “ok use these side swoops with headlight X and taillight Z, this interior, these doors” and expect it to come out well.

The flip side is when you buy a mass-market regular car like a Ford or VW or whatever you get interior quality, performance, etc that really is a lot closer to like nicer cars than the mass-market cars of the past were to their more expensive equivalents.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:57 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I agree that it's looking like the 992 will all have lightbars, so I wonder if they are going to break the mold with the 4/4S being visually different from the 2/2S with wider body and lightbar..
Here's something to consider. Stick with me now.

Remember how in the original Terminator Sarah Connor meets her son John Connor's best friend Kyle for the first time as a grown man when he comes back from the future to protect her from the killbot that's trying to kill her so John (the future leader of The Resistance) won't be born? And she ***** him and gets knocked up and it turns out that Kyle is now both John's best friend (in the future) and father (now)?

Okay. We're talking about 992, right. Anybody remember what the rear of a 993 looks like?

ummhmmm. Full light bar on all models.

So is it possible -- remember, stick with me here -- is it possible the 992 HAS to evolve the full rear light bar so that the 993 will naturally have it as well? (which, as we know, is a fait accompli.)

Something to think about.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Here's something to consider. Stick with me now.

Remember how in the original Terminator Sarah Connor meets her son John Connor's best friend Kyle for the first time as a grown man when he comes back from the future to protect her from the killbot that's trying to kill her so John (the future leader of The Resistance) won't be born? And she ***** him and gets knocked up and it turns out that Kyle is now both John's best friend (in the future) and father (now)?

Okay. We're talking about 992, right. Anybody remember what the rear of a 993 looks like?

ummhmmm. Full light bar on all models.

So is it possible -- remember, stick with me here -- is it possible the 992 HAS to evolve the full rear light bar so that the 993 will naturally have it as well? (which, as we know, is a fait accompli.)

Something to think about.
lol

964 though:

Don't see the problem with the light bar on all models/trims.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
The Lexus article was on Carbuzz: Old Lexus Owners Called To Complain About The New Radical Styling

I personally think the 991.1 has been the best 911 after the classic line, the .2 has exterior changes from .1 that I didn't like at all especially on the GT line (except the front hood in the RS spy shots)
My parents bought the 1st Lexus that came to the US and my dad especially knew he had found something special and took a chance on a car that a lot of people called a "glorified Toyota" at the time. He was furious over the change to make the large LS look like a sports car and the service adviser he deals with told him a lot of owners were keeping their old cars because of the look of the new ones. When the time came to replace his old Lexus he took a look at the new one and went with the MB S-class and I don't blame him. I don't mind sporty or more aggressive styling on the small or sporty cars, but not on the LS!

Hope the 911 doesn't get transformed into something Porsche fans hate.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Dewinator

I think the problem is more design by committee than shared design elements. The 308/F355/F50/360/456/etc all have the same taillights with no issues, and they’ve had a lot worse taillight designs since they went away from that. But then you try to make a Panamera look like it has a 911 back end because it’s pre-determined they’ll share design language and it looks terrible, yet on the 911 it’s one of the greatest design shapes of all time. I like the Macan taillights but don’t love them shoehorned into a 991.1 taillight hole to get the .2.

I think an important key to a great looking car is giving the designer latitude to use or ignore shared design elements, not “ok use these side swoops with headlight X and taillight Z, this interior, these doors” and expect it to come out well.

The flip side is when you buy a mass-market regular car like a Ford or VW or whatever you get interior quality, performance, etc that really is a lot closer to like nicer cars than the mass-market cars of the past were to their more expensive equivalents.
It’s funny, when I had my Macan, those taillights naturally served as my “starter Porsche taillights.” When I got my 991.1, the cleaner and simpler taillights served/serve as a fresher and nicer/more sporty and unique look to me (natural psychology). When I see 991.2 taillights, they look like oddly morphed/formed Macan (that we now see everywhere) taillights, which gives them a slightly too busy and mature/“4 door car” look, imo.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
STG
Race Director

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

Looks like end of the NA GT3 too. I can't wait to read those posts in the future, they are already starting.

A quote:

"What Blume does not mention is the fact that this 911, codenamed 992, is probably the last of its kind. The 911 after it will almost certainly be based on a vehicle architecture called SAZ--VW Group shorthand for sports car platform of the future.

While the 992 will essentially be a straightforward evolution of the current 911, the SAZ-based version would be built on a platform designed to have the flexibility to underpin a variety of vehicles. The next 911 will therefore be the last built on a unique platform."

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE