Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trayvon
I don't think you'll be bored of your car even after 5+ years. Just a guess.
I got bored of mine but because it's PDK. I feel like MT is more conducive to spending years getting more in tune with the vehicle and getting better at making it do what you want.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not much lag in my E63 certainly not compared to my wife’s 535I or to lesser extend Macan S.
I drove the AMG GTS on track and even though only 4L not much lag at all.

NA feels like permanent lag to me.
Not sure you understand what people mean by “lag” when discussing N/A power plants.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Me too. Planning never to sell it.
Originally Posted by STG
I echo your thoughts exactly.

The 991.1 is a keeper
IMO it’ll be akin to a future 993; a classic 911 breed going down in history as the last and best of a long standing and historic breed (N/A 911’s). I’d love to keep mine for the very long haul too. 991.1’s will be increasingly appreciated cars (as they already have become since .2’s came out). I guess once my warranty is up, I’ll make that decision. Which in itself favors N/A (less expensive drivetrain parts to worry about).

Originally Posted by subshooter
Have your tried a Maserati?
Yes. F/I models with atrocious lag, tranny and pedal response? That Maserati?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I got bored of mine but because it's PDK. I feel like MT is more conducive to spending years getting more in tune with the vehicle and getting better at making it do what you want.
This
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Not sure you understand what people mean by “lag” when discussing N/A power plants.
My thoughts exactly... I didn't realize people confused throttle response with the motor's power output.... 911's have always made their power in the higher RPM's and that has been part of its charm for the last 50 years.

When you step on the throttle and there is a "lag" in responsiveness, that is the turbo lag enthusiasts are referring to that is commonly found in FI platforms. I have never heard of peak power being in the higher RPM's referred to as "lag" before.

My old R35 GTR had way more power than my 991S but the throttle response was always lacking. I much prefer to have a very responsive car that I have to work to exctract the power vs a higher hp/tq output that comes sooner but with a slight delay.

IMO It just feels extremely disconnected and takes away from the overall driving experience. Plus I like being able to rev a car all the way out vs having to shift early because I'm already breaking local speeding laws.

But again, this is all just person preference and there are great arguments to be made on both sides.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I love my PDK right now because it can do everything so much better than I could. However, some days, I do wish it were a manual. But when I drive my GTI with a manual, I am reminded of why I went with the PDK. Unless the manual gearbox is set up how I prefer (with fast shifts), it takes the fun out of it for me. The GTI has awful rev hang that makes it frustrating to drive. Even my Camaro had some rev hang that kept me from driving it how I would like. My '99 boxster has the best gearbox I have ever driven, fast shifts and a slightly heavier clutch pedal. I would be concerned that I would be so absorbed in finding ways to fine tune the manual gearbox in the 991 that it would take the fun away.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
My thoughts exactly... I didn't realize people confused throttle response with the motor's power output.... 911's have always made their power in the higher RPM's and that has been part of its charm for the last 50 years.

When you step on the throttle and there is a "lag" in responsiveness, that is the turbo lag enthusiasts are referring to that is commonly found in FI platforms. I have never heard of peak power being in the higher RPM's referred to as "lag" before.

My old R35 GTR had way more power than my 991S but the throttle response was always lacking. I much prefer to have a very responsive car that I have to work to exctract the power vs a higher hp/tq output that comes sooner but with a slight delay.

IMO It just feels extremely disconnected and takes away from the overall driving experience. Plus I like being able to rev a car all the way out vs having to shift early because I'm already breaking local speeding laws.

But again, this is all just person preference and there are great arguments to be made on both sides.
Absolutely and entirely agreed.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

is anyone else crossing their fingers and hoping the test cars are a cover for styling like this, because the current mules look hideous!

Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Yeah, I like the Mission E, too. The 992 doesn't look that great in disguised form. I definitely don't like the hood line and flatter front and tail, but it could all change by next year and be something really cool. We just need to wait and see.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
is anyone else crossing their fingers and hoping the test cars are a cover for styling like this, because the current mules look hideous!
I (naively) was thinking the Mission E would be relatively close to the concept when it came out in 2020 but based on the test mules out there it looks like it's going to look much more like a panamera. Like a panamera/mission e concept mixed together.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire

There is no way its going to look really close to that, as there are all sorts of things on a concept car like that, which just aren't feasible on a production car. The goal is simply to make it look good and generally resemble the concept. If they achieve that, and assuming the car actual performs well, they'll have a winner. But it's never going to look exactly like the concept. Nothing ever does.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

The only recent production car that looked just like its concept predecessor was the Fisker Karma.

With the footprint of a 7-series and the interior space of a 3-series, among its many other problems, it did't work out well at all.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 9A2 has very little lag, almost an imperceptible amount of lag, especially compared to the 570S or 720S powerplants.

The best that I've driven in terms of "no lag" is the 488. The 991.2 TT/TTS is right up there as well.
I own a .2S with X51, have driven the 570S and the 488 GTB and concur with your findings (have yet to drive the 991.2TTS).

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not much lag in my E63 certainly not compared to my wife’s 535I or to lesser extend Macan S.
I drove the AMG GTS on track and even though only 4L not much lag at all.

NA feels like permanent lag to me.
I know what you mean you're either on cam or off cam very bimodal.

My hope is that Porsche takes some of the criticism owners had with the .2 FI motors and improves them in the 992 (mainly lag and sound). The 991.2 Carrera FI motors always felt like a public beta for what would end up in the 992...
Not much in the way of meaningful lag, certainly none on track. Sound, subjective, again its certainly winds up once up over 4000rpm.

I think you'll find there are plenty of happy .2 owners out there.

IMO the only company really doing FI right is Mercedes. I drove the AMG GTS a handful of times and I would never have known it was FI unless told. If Porsche can achieve that with the 992, take my money
Perhaps the makers of the GT2RS, TTS and 488GTB would disagree with you in respect to MB as would the 100 plus Journos and engineers who awarded the IEotY2017 to Ferrari for the 3.9L biturbo V8 followed by Porsche for the 9A2 3l twin turbo

Ultimately, I don't think you'll be disappointed as the 992 will have the 9A2 with the base model delivering 425HP with 500Nm, the S will be ~ 450HP with 550Nm and the GTS will have ~ 475HP with >550Nm. Standard Porsche operating procedure. .

Perhaps the most important chore for Porsche with respect to the 992 - is weight reduction and split (its a given PDK, suspension, infotainment, EAS and tires will be tweaked). It will be incrementally better than the 991.2 - business as usual

Last edited by randr; 10-12-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I (naively) was thinking the Mission E would be relatively close to the concept when it came out in 2020 but based on the test mules out there it looks like it's going to look much more like a panamera. Like a panamera/mission e concept mixed together.

Exactly ...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 697 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-

I am assuming those are fake exhaust tips, then?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I am assuming those are fake exhaust tips, then?
Yeah, that's a Mission E mule they're disguising to look like a Panamera in my opinion.

I think given the reaction the Mission E got potential buyers will be put off if they don't get closer than the mule.

As for my wish for more Mission E styling I was primarily hoping that the nose and lighting would be stolen from it for the 911, not the whole design

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE