992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust rattle driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024 | 06:27 AM
Track Day

Default Exhaust rattle driving me nuts.

Hey guys, I got tubi straight pipe style exhaust. And I'm getting this rattle that's driving me nuts.

I though it was exhaust hitting something but can't pin point it. I removed the two hanger straps to eliminate them thinking it might be touching the heatshield at back.

It seems to be coming from the tips... could it be the valves themselves? May i didnt olace spring is properly or something. But exhaust on and off seems to function as intended intact I seem to get less rattle when in sports mode. Exhaust vavle open.

Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/1AB0o8Debns?si=aYCY7oJi_LYConHL

https://youtu.be/7w7-w4cM67s?feature=shared
Old 09-08-2024 | 01:33 PM
pal
Racer

Exhaust valve rattle tends to be a lot louder and very metallic. This is not the typical exhaust valve rattle I’ve heard on various cars, including Porsches. One thought that came to mind is how the valves on your exhaust rotate. Could be the pivot is not “smooth”. Just speculating.

Can a camera see the valve in action? If yes, try positioning the camera so it’s looking at the valve, and then flip between Normal and Sport, and also try the light blips you’ve been using to replicate.
The following users liked this post:
995 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 11:52 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pal
Exhaust valve rattle tends to be a lot louder and very metallic. This is not the typical exhaust valve rattle I’ve heard on various cars, including Porsches. One thought that came to mind is how the valves on your exhaust rotate. Could be the pivot is not “smooth”. Just speculating.

Can a camera see the valve in action? If yes, try positioning the camera so it’s looking at the valve, and then flip between Normal and Sport, and also try the light blips you’ve been using to replicate.
The metallic rattle you hear in your second video is what I had when I went from the stock PSE to the APR exhaust. I also had a M-Eng (stage 0?) flash to open the exhaust valves to 50% up to 2500 RPM and then to 100% by 3500 RPM. In actuality, the exhaust valves would go from 50% to 100% open after 2500 RPM.
Reason I've giving the context on my exhaust valve logic is because I installed the APR exhaust, I had to remove the spring that's installed on the Valve control motor. With this spring now removed, I had the rattle up to 2500 RPM (very audible at Idle) and once the exhaust valves opened to 100%, the rattle was gone.

I ended up asking for a change in exhaust valve logic to M-Eng where they did the default closed or 100% open and the rattle is gone.

The APR exhaust allowed for maybe 1-2mm of freeplay on the exhaust valve (where the prongs controlling the valve were installed) and whilst it didn't sound bad moving it by hand, going from 2-3RPM of my hand to a few hundred - 2500 RPM, it was enough to make them rattle.

If you're using the stock PSE valve login, your three options will be:

- Get under the car, remove the valve motor and then put some Aluminium tape around the prongs to ensure there's no freeplay.
- Get a Cargraphic valve controller or similar
- Get a M-Coder/M_Eng tune.
The following users liked this post:
995 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-12-2024 | 05:08 AM
Track Day

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
The metallic rattle you hear in your second video is what I had when I went from the stock PSE to the APR exhaust. I also had a M-Eng (stage 0?) flash to open the exhaust valves to 50% up to 2500 RPM and then to 100% by 3500 RPM. In actuality, the exhaust valves would go from 50% to 100% open after 2500 RPM.
Reason I've giving the context on my exhaust valve logic is because I installed the APR exhaust, I had to remove the spring that's installed on the Valve control motor. With this spring now removed, I had the rattle up to 2500 RPM (very audible at Idle) and once the exhaust valves opened to 100%, the rattle was gone.

I ended up asking for a change in exhaust valve logic to M-Eng where they did the default closed or 100% open and the rattle is gone.

The APR exhaust allowed for maybe 1-2mm of freeplay on the exhaust valve (where the prongs controlling the valve were installed) and whilst it didn't sound bad moving it by hand, going from 2-3RPM of my hand to a few hundred - 2500 RPM, it was enough to make them rattle.

If you're using the stock PSE valve login, your three options will be:

- Get under the car, remove the valve motor and then put some Aluminium tape around the prongs to ensure there's no freeplay.
- Get a Cargraphic valve controller or similar
- Get a M-Coder/M_Eng tune.

Yep.. looks like the spring was making the noise.

Not really happy with Tubi stuff aye.

Old 09-12-2024 | 05:41 AM
Track Day

Anyone got like to some documentation, how this spring is meant to sit. I think I didn't have it in properly as every one orientation doesn't sit inside the exhaust properly.

Is it meant to sit like this in the actuator ? What is spring meant to do, open the exhaust up when car turns off ?

This is the exhaust.

Old 09-12-2024 | 11:12 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

In my APR exhaust and almost all of the videos I've seen of other exhausts, the spring needs to come out.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle driving me nuts.