992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Recall Notice - Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024 | 08:48 AM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

For those that had their front windshield replaced, does your new glass seem thicker? My SA told me right off the bat when I picked up my car that Porsche uses a newer design for the windshield which was thicker than the one that came with the car. When you run your hand across the glass and onto the A pillar/roof, the glass is a little higher and not flush. It’s pretty consistent all the way around the perimeter. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.
Old 09-11-2024 | 09:57 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Hell no, the advisor at first is like we done it before. The replacement glass usually arrive in 2-3 weeks from Porsche. I am like SURE, now we are close to 3 months and still no update.

Originally Posted by Fishah
But they didn't keep your car right?
Old 09-12-2024 | 12:04 AM
cyclingismylife
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlitzIS
For those that had their front windshield replaced, does your new glass seem thicker? My SA told me right off the bat when I picked up my car that Porsche uses a newer design for the windshield which was thicker than the one that came with the car. When you run your hand across the glass and onto the A pillar/roof, the glass is a little higher and not flush. It’s pretty consistent all the way around the perimeter. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.
Mine does not feel thicker.
Old 09-12-2024 | 04:05 AM
Calbenzo
Rennlist Member

I have the rubber seal issue around the windshield where part of the seal looks as if it is melting or dissolving. It is like when rubber gets old, and starts to feel sticky.

I brought my car in, and my SA is ordering a new windshield. However, if it is just the peripheral seal in my case, why would the windshield need to be replaced?

Old 09-12-2024 | 03:17 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BED997
For people needing or getting replacements, is there ample supply of front and rear glass available?

What makes me a little concerned about this is what happens if Porsche pulls on your windshield and rear glass and says its OK, and then a few months later it stress cracks from them messing with it.
@BED997 This is what happened to me. It cracked less than 48 hours after the stress test was carried out. I have posted this with pictures on the original T thread.
My OPC at first rebuked a warranty claim, eventually settled with having to pay part as I was fed up not being able to use the car.
Still believe I should have been fully reimbursed.
No issues since with the new screen and it only took a week to arrive after ordering.
It seems all the US OPC's accept the warranty claims,
Here in the UK not had much notice of others suffering like myself.
Best,
Devon Racer,
Old 09-12-2024 | 03:35 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Is everyone getting these letters? I haven't heard a thing and picked up the car in early May.
Old 09-12-2024 | 03:43 PM
cyclingismylife
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BED997
For people needing or getting replacements, is there ample supply of front and rear glass available?

What makes me a little concerned about this is what happens if Porsche pulls on your windshield and rear glass and says its OK, and then a few months later it stress cracks from them messing with it.
I waited 3 1/2 months for my replacement, luckily mine had cracked at both top corners so I was able to get the dealer to order a replacement while I kept and drove the car during that time. The cracks literally happened less than a week before I got the recall letter, not sure if it was related to the adhesive issue or just the random cracking issue that seems to be happening to LWG. When I had the windshield replaced they checked the rear glass and it was fine.

As a side note, the service advisor told me he had never seen LWG crack but I spoke to the guy in the service area that did all of the recalibration of the sensors and he told me he has had to replace a substantial number of windshields and side windows due to spontaneous cracking. I get the feeling the service advisors are asked to deny knowledge of this being a common issue.
Old 09-12-2024 | 03:51 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

My SA has ordered a second windshield for my car. They replaced mine this week due to the melting adhesive and the install did not go well. The windshield does not sit flush and is raised up above where the roof meets the glass. The gap on the A pillar driver’s side is bigger than the passenger side. Also, there is a gap at the bottom of the windshield where it does not meet the cowl area where the windshield wipers are at. The gap is big enough to insert a credit card in that area. The new glass will be in next week so hopefully it gets installed correctly the second go around.
Old 09-12-2024 | 05:52 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

that’s unfortunate Devon Racer. I’m going to wait as long as possible before taking mine in. Will probably have to get it checked at the first maintenance service.

[QUOTE=Devon Racer;19644769]@BED997 This is what happened to me. It cracked less than 48 hours after the stress test was carried out. I have posted this with pictures on the original T thread.
Old 09-12-2024 | 11:42 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
I have another windshield issue….my front and rear windshields are “foggy”…even when cleaned properly….There are three very noticeable clear rectangular areas that are always present…almost like three pieces of tape that have been removed….
My dealership says that Porsche has not issued a recall…so there is nothing they can do….I have sent the pictures along with an email to PCNA and they responded….”Take your car to the dealer”…

Any suggestions would be appreciated….
I’ve found that the fog is much slower to return if I leave my windows cracked open when the car is parked in my garage. I’m convinced it is off gassing because if I park the car in my garage with the windows down, it doesn’t come back. However, a couple hours street parked in the sun with the windows up fogs it right up.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (09-12-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 12:02 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=BED997;19644962]that’s unfortunate Devon Racer. I’m going to wait as long as possible before taking mine in. Will probably have to get it checked at the first maintenance service.

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
@BED997 This is what happened to me. It cracked less than 48 hours after the stress test was carried out. I have posted this with pictures on the original T thread.
I’m going to confirm that they won’t check it at first service. If they insist, I’ll have my Indy do the first oil change and avoid the dealer like the plague.

Quick Reply: 992 Recall Notice - Windshields