Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor paint chip pre-delivery, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
J Irwan
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Yupe, agree with everyone else.
touch it up. I consider myself pretty picky when it comes to these things but in grand scheme of thing the location of that chip and the color will not be noticeable.

and in few months you will forget about it.

I will not back out of the delivery for the car that i spec’ed my self and been waiting for few months to get it.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Wait until you look at the rubber door/window molding where the driver's window meets the rear quarter.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
qwertya
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Wait until you look at the rubber door/window molding where the driver's window meets the rear quarter.
I’m glad you mentioned this! The rubber seal on both windows and even the ones on the roof are somewhat worn and uneven. I thought it’s probably from exposing to the record heat at the port, and I will just claim warranty if/when they fall out, so didn’t bring it up.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Seriously?
Old Today, 12:26 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Ive never gotten a new car where i couldnt find some flaw.
Some you just live with eventually you wont notice as much
i always inspect on the lift to check on shipping damage which i have had.
Just remember there's an inverse relationship with how much you spend and the pleasure from the experience.
Same. I’m really trying to be more accepting of less than ‘perfect’ because it’s truly not reasonable for anything in life. I just got a new vw golf r as a replacement daily driver and the vw paint is such poor quality. Several factory finish defects which aren’t worth pursuing.

OP, Like everyone else stated touch up paint and move on. There’s a guy in the turbo section that had an actual dent/chip in the hood of brand new turbo s at delivery.
The following users liked this post:
qwertya (Today)
Old Today, 12:28 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

Just to balance things out. Here is my agate grey C4S after about 75 miles of ownership. Forgot the condom.
qwertya (Today)
Old Today, 07:35 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

Hell, if it bothers you that much I’ll buy it from you. Will you take $50k? (Hey, it’s got a rock chip, that’s gotta knock at least $100k off the value!) 🤣🤣🤣
Old Today, 08:44 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by qwertya
I know there has been several similar threads but want to get your thoughts now that this happened to me. I'm taking delivery of a new C4S in Agate Grey, and noticed a minor paint chip (~1mm in diameter) on the very rear corner of the left quarter panel, next to the spoiler. See the attached image where the chip is right in the center. It's quite noticeable once you see it.

Dealer has been very corporative and offered a few options: fix and repaint the whole panel (which I rejected), have me back out of the deal and into a .2 base allocation (they don't currently have one so will have to be the next allocation available), or should I keep the car, offer one extra maintenance.

What would you do in this situation?

dude i'd do twice that to my car if they offered me free maintenance... this is a complete non-issue. have their best guy touch it up and take that free maintenance
Old Today, 08:48 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts

If that bothers you, you're never gonna drive it. LOL
division (Today)
Old Today, 10:20 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by qwertya
I’m glad you mentioned this! The rubber seal on both windows and even the ones on the roof are somewhat worn and uneven. I thought it’s probably from exposing to the record heat at the port, and I will just claim warranty if/when they fall out, so didn’t bring it up.
The window moldings will likely start to melt/breakdown into a tar-like substance. It’s covered under warranty and they will replace the entire windshield. Many of us have already had the windshield replaced, so don’t be alarmed when it happens.
Old Today, 11:56 AM
fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 22 Posts

The OP mentioned there's more backstory to his dealings with this dealer to warrant this level of scrutiny. Take the free maintenance but get it in writing. Sounds like it's not the best of relationships.
Old Today, 12:26 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I dont think one extra maintenance is enough, complete panel respray is probably a couple grand.. also the maintenance is only free at that dealership i'm thinking,
years ago i had an issue with a new delivery of my BMW Z3 clownshoe... i asked for credit value to spend at the dealership, i think i got $500 in merch still have two golf style shirts that i still wear the car is long gone..

Id start with asking for cash in the amount of the repaint off the deal...or a credit in the Porsche parts department which they should like as they can sell to you at retail and pay cost,for what you get, sun screen, a key pouch, some shirts hats whatever...
if they have been difficult to deal with id be reluctant to tie yourself to them for a service...

Quick Reply: Minor paint chip pre-delivery, what would you do?