Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera S - Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 04:13 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

I opted not to get the PSE knowing I'd likely change things down the road. I'll have the stock quad exhaust, could I do an M engineering tune to get access to controlling the valves opening and closing or would I need a separate controller from the likes of KIES, APR or cargraphic?
Old 06-03-2024, 04:18 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Our most popular combination is the Akrapovic slip on with Soul high flow cats. We can help you with either or even a full Soul system!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 06-03-2024, 05:54 PM
992noise
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Another cheap/cheerful first option .. 992noise.com .. just putting it out there!
Old 06-03-2024, 07:29 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 992noise
Another cheap/cheerful first option .. 992noise.com .. just putting it out there!
thanks for introducing me to this, sounds like a nice cheap easy option to start with. any idea what it sounds like with the standard quad exhaust? would love to hear that (I heard the PSE version on your website)
Old 06-04-2024, 06:12 AM
992noise
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sorry I don't have a non-PSE recording although I know at least one of my customers ordered it for his non-PSE car; I'll reach out to him and see if he minds sharing some of his feedback or a video.

I've found it quite hard to capture the actual sound on video - with mine, in some cases I think it's really quite loud - my son who was videoing my car said he could hear me from quite a distance - but in others (typically when I've just heard a GT3 or RS) I think it's pretty tame!

You could try running the car with the valves disconnected for a short time? You'll get a "Christmas tree" effect on your dashboard (lots of warnings), reduced full throttle power and various other systems won't work (e.g. adaptive cruise) but it might be enough to give you an idea of the sound - even if you only do it for the cold start and idle sounds, stationary on your driveway. Plug them back in and all returns to normal in my experience - it's reversible.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:01 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Are there any reasonably priced sport cats? It's a hard pill to swallow 5k for cats and 3k for an exhaust.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:47 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Are there any reasonably priced sport cats? It's a hard pill to swallow 5k for cats and 3k for an exhaust.
+1…..and add another $2500 for a tune IF your cats throw a CEL.

I think the Europipe 100 cell sport cats are around $3k + $300 shipping. Europipe 50 cell sport cats costs a couple hundred more. But either one will throw a CEL so approx. $6k for Europipe sport cats + tune to eliminate CEL. Compare to the new generation Soul sport cats (200 cell, I think) are about $4600 but no CEL, reportedly. So, Soul cats with the new Soul SS X pipe exhaust = approx. $8,000 without a tune. Europipe 50 cell cats with tune and valveless Ti exhaust about $9,500. So……..Yes….you hit it right on the head…..$8k minimum to play.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:53 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Shoot @stef@europipe a PM....
Old 06-05-2024, 11:36 AM
js1ngh13
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah kind of agree with this
Old 06-05-2024, 12:25 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

I just installed the cargraphic controller on my GTS and I'm very impressed with the change in sound quality and quantity. I would say that I am pretty satisfied to the point where I won't go further down the rabbit hole (for now at least).
The following 3 users liked this post by malba2366:
3rdpedal (06-07-2024), adrianp89 (06-05-2024), js1ngh13 (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:16 PM
Blueblazer
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, if you get an exhaust or new cats expect a significantly louder colder start. I have a JCR valveless and catless set up and the cold start is unbearable.
Does anyone know the sound or tone difference between catted and catless? Are there more whooshes and whistles in catless?
Old 06-05-2024, 02:28 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> I have a JCR valveless and catless set up and the cold start is unbearable.
Cold start can be disabled via a M-Tune

>> Does anyone know the sound or tone difference between catted and catless? Are there more whooshes and whistles in catless?[/QUOTE]
Cat's don't really change the tone IMHO, just the volume / noise level (if we're being nuanced in our description): Catless>Sport Cats>Stock Cats.
The following users liked this post:
Blueblazer (06-05-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:33 AM
freesole
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the Kline Inconel exhaust with stock cats at the moment and the cold start is still very loud. I'm looking forward to tuning so I can deactivate the cold start.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:44 AM
mryellowcarrerat
AutoX

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Soul valveless with sport cats

Here my steps in order after I first got my brand new 992 Carrera T

1.) drove the car stock to see/feel stock exhaust with stock PSE. IMHO I thought it was boring and only sport mode excited me even then the valves were not open 100% of the time and made me lack feeling wanting to drive it. It was too refined too quiet

1.) M engineering stage 1 with 100% open valves - I was amazed, the fun, the smiles. The tune is so worth the $$$ spent and the smooth power. The sound of the exhaust being open at all times made the PSE so much more awake, exotic feel. drove it for 2 weeks like this and never got tired. Always wanting to drive it everywhere and I actually enjoy driving it. couldn’t wait to rec my SOUL valvesless performance exhaust with Soul sport cats (new gen) to arrive and install

2.) finally installed the SOUL valves less + Soul sports cats - This took it to a whole different level. Sound wise was a beast. It knows how to be not too loud local driving to not attract too much attention but still growl, but when you smash the pedal this thing roars! The nice thing with valvesless is whether the exhaust mode is on/off it doesn’t matter it’s always open cause no valves.. the exhaust just sings local and freeway driving. It’s not obnoxiously loud that you can’t enjoy a conversation in the car. This is a work of art you will have no regrets. Added+. M engineering stage 2 tune because of the exhaust swap and the car feels like a 500hp+ car and this is base model. Car is quicker I say by a lot vs stock and you get more power on the lower rpm range more torque, more punch off the line. Pops and burbles on the downshift on the valveless
Soul makes me smile and I can drive this all day everywhere!

This is a quick vid going thru tunnel I was only going about 20 mph max. I have no regrets! Both windows were up completely this is inside the cabin. Given T models have the less sound insulation, lightweight glass, I do have rear seats added so it helps with less drone.

IMHO: I don’t want to waste time going back and forth and installing and trying too many things more like just do it all at once and experience the joy and no hassel, which is why I went full package on the exhaust and tune. If you have the budget go for it! Goodluck to you. If you’re looking for alternatives all the other members opinions and feedback here are awesome as well. You can’t go wrong with any opinions, best of luck!

Originally Posted by Rx911
Based on my searches the lackluster sound of the PSE is a common issue. I've done a deep dive on Flat 6 Motorsports and watched all of their videos on all the exhaust systems but have a hard time getting a good sense on how the systems differ with the audio.

This past weekend, I heard a full Soul valveless exhaust system with high-flow cats in person and was blown away, it sounds amazing. To add to that, my dealership is now offering tuning with GIAC (warranty stays intact) as well as Tubi Style exhaust purchase and install. I do have some reservations and don't want to jump straight to going with a full Soul system if I may be satisfied along the way. My current thoughts are to try the cargraphic valve controller first, and if that doesn't scratch my itch to then move up to Soul high-flow cats, then add the valved exhaust if it's still not enough. I wanted to see if anybody can share their advice on what route they took to get their exhaust sound to a place they were happy with. If any of you have any good audio/videos to share as well that would be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9820.mov (15.91 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by mryellowcarrerat; 06-06-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:06 AM
992noise
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's definitely a matter of personal preference but, cold start aside there has only been one occasion where valves permanently open has made me frown - and this was ~400 miles into a European trip, doing a very constant 40mph through some villages with the windows up because it was raining. If you pick the wrong gear the sound can resonate round the cabin a bit too much - normally easily fixed by changing gear or opening sunroof/windows.

For a few instances I can see how it makes sense to be able to close the valves but otherwise .. I think it just sounds better everywhere! Great that there are lots of options for owners - I wonder how the new .2 will sound .. I have noticed a single valve in the exhaust with a similar looking connector and motor so I'd hope owners can also release some noise in the future ... !

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera S - Exhaust Advice