Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differences between 3D Surround View and Surround view?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 07:48 AM
flokie
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default differences between 3D Surround View and Surround view?

Hello,

I've been trying to look for an answer on this forum, but didn't really find anything, so what's the difference between "3D Surround View" and "Surround View". They both seem to do the same, but I'm not sure what's different. Can someone explain the differences between these two? Is one better than the other? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-25-2024, 08:25 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

The surround view is a top-down view of the car. The 3D surround view is a rotatable 3rd person view of a 3D model of the car. 3D surround view is only available with remote park assist AFAIK.

There was a software bug in the early Tayans that allowed anyone to access the 3D surround view, so I’ve used it some. It’s mostly a gimmick. It looks cool, but I think it’s less helpful than normal surround view. Note that normal surround view also has front and rear views as well as tire views to see how close the tires are to the curb.

In the picture below, surround view is on the left and 3D surround view is on the right. This is from when it was still enabled on my Taycan.

Old 05-25-2024, 09:47 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Ooh, interesting that it's just software locked! I wonder if that functionality could be activated with PIWIS, then? (For those of us with surround view but not remote park)
Old 05-25-2024, 10:08 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Ooh, interesting that it's just software locked!
When you have 3D surround view, there are icons on the top down view for the camera locations (you can select predefined fixed camera views or switch to a free-rotate view). The bug on the Taycan was that, without the option, the icons were hidden, but could still be navigated and clicked on using the track pad portion of the center console touch screen (where the climate controls are). The trick was to navigate to the standard rear camera icon, track pad down, and then “click”, which selected the hidden free-rotate camera view. The image above was from my car, which only has surround view. So, yes, it appears to only be a software “upgrade” that uses the existing surround view cameras. But, I use “upgrade” liberally. It’s really a party-trick. I don’t think it’s worth pursuing to unlock. I think that was mostly the consensus in the discussions about the option in the Taycan Forum also.
The following users liked this post:
zachr (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 11:58 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeah, fair enough. We have the 3D surround functionality on our RS6 and it's a cool party trick, but haven't once used it for practical reasons.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:05 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 471 Likes on 211 Posts

I just wished my back up camera looked clear

Quick Reply: differences between 3D Surround View and Surround view?