Sponsored by:

Rattle from rear headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 12:57 AM
084runnerltd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rattle from rear headliner

Just took deliver of ‘24 TTS. Had a 1,000 mile home from the dealer and noticed a rattle coming from the back seat.

I searched the forums and many people reported rattles from the rear seatbelts, that’s not the case for me.

I tracked it down to a rattle in the rear headliner. If I stick my hand up and apply pressure to the rear headliner while driving the sound is gone.

While searching Rennlist, I did come across a post of someone who had a similar rattle and found that a clip meant to attach the headliner to the roof, was not attached.

I did have the dealer install cameras in the car and guessing they lowered some of the headliner so they had more room to work.

I climbed in, what I guess is called the rear “seats ”to see if I could get a better look at anything. I am not a huge guy, but trying to do anything in the backseat is nearly impossible. I ended up just pushing up on the headliner at random locations hoping to get luckily, I was unsuccessful.

Does anybody know where approximately the clips are located on the headliner? I tried to look between the headliner and the roof and can’t see anything obvious…

I am sure the dealer would take care of it, but they are 12hrs from me.

Do the clips run along the exterior edge of the headliner, where the roof meets the rear window? Or are they further inboard?

The sound seems to be coming from the rear middle of the headliner (very close to where the camera is installed).

Bonus points if anyone has a diagram of the clips on the roof….

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:35 AM
Dutch SC
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Just took deliver of ‘24 TTS. Had a 1,000 mile home from the dealer and noticed a rattle coming from the back seat.

I searched the forums and many people reported rattles from the rear seatbelts, that’s not the case for me.

I tracked it down to a rattle in the rear headliner. If I stick my hand up and apply pressure to the rear headliner while driving the sound is gone.

While searching Rennlist, I did come across a post of someone who had a similar rattle and found that a clip meant to attach the headliner to the roof, was not attached.

I did have the dealer install cameras in the car and guessing they lowered some of the headliner so they had more room to work.

I climbed in, what I guess is called the rear “seats ”to see if I could get a better look at anything. I am not a huge guy, but trying to do anything in the backseat is nearly impossible. I ended up just pushing up on the headliner at random locations hoping to get luckily, I was unsuccessful.

Does anybody know where approximately the clips are located on the headliner? I tried to look between the headliner and the roof and can’t see anything obvious…

Do the clips run along the exterior edge of the headliner, where the roof meets the rear window? Or are they further inboard?

The sound seems to be coming from the rear middle of the headliner (very close to where the camera is installed).

Thanks in advance.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1307...ky-rattle.html
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:42 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

That clip is dead center at the very back. Stick your hands in and pull down slightly and you will see. It's some small dual lock clip. They don't like to be removed and put back and if it's not inserted perfectly straight the prongs will break. The part is $4 from the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (04-30-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 05:29 PM
JJadersten
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solution, at least for me…

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd

Thanks in advance.
I had delivery of a 992.1 GTS w/ sunroof (in Sweden, LOL)…MY24, March build date. Had exactly the rattle, metallic chirping, going at 30-60 mph…coming from headliner behind my head while driving. Drove me nuts… Took it to Porsche dealer today… the mechanic (a true porsche enthusiast) said he had at least 2 similar cases and multiple colleagues reportig similar…. Occasionally the factory does not tighten the screws properly for the sunroof….or not greasing the slide rails for the outer and inner roof parts….or not pushing the center clip at the rear window center dead into place. So… he spent 20 mins sorting all 3…just in case. He losened all six screwes that hold the sunroof…then tightened them back using the right Nm torque (from factory instructions). He added grease to the slidig rails, easily accesible from outside the car while operating the sun roof. Lastly he pulled down the headliner at center of the rear window about 1”… and then pushed it back up in place in the clip. Vóila - I can now focus on the driving, the engine sound or some nice vibe metal thru the burmester system…without company of little ants playing with metal washers inside my headliner. Hope it can work for more of you out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJadersten:
Dutch SC (05-31-2024), j lok (05-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Rattle from rear headliner