Sponsored by:

Taking Delivery at a Different Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 03:40 PM
jhardy
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Have different BMW dealers who are owned by different franchisees been willing to accommodate such a request from you before? Porsche dealerships tend to be very competitive with one another and generally don't play nice with each other.
I have not made this request specifically but just generally speaking buying a car from BMW (even the higher end models) is infinitely easier and much less fraught with attitude. To the point above my friend took delivery of a Corvette at his house and the process was super smooth. Just feels like Porsche operates differently is all.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:42 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

The dealership you order from gets the sale and commission. Unless they do a trade which is extremely rare and typically for their vip repeat customers. I’m sure they would ship the car to you for a fee.

Last edited by Icegrill; 04-30-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:01 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 858 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
I have not made this request specifically but just generally speaking buying a car from BMW (even the higher end models) is infinitely easier and much less fraught with attitude. To the point above my friend took delivery of a Corvette at his house and the process was super smooth. Just feels like Porsche operates differently is all.
The dealer experience with Porsche is not universal and can vary greatly from store to store. My first Porsche purchase experience was completed in under an hour at the store which was in stark contrast to the usual 3+ hour ordeals that some other brands have put me through. My second Porsche purchase experience was even easier with everything done via text and email exchanges and the car was delivered to my door. This was for a used car too. Post pandemic changed the dynamics for Porsche where demand has shot up with supplies still being well below the market demand. Aside from the Taycan, Porsche is one of the few brands with nearly every model being in high demand so the dealers aren't motivated to cater to every customer's different requests combined with the fact that they are very cutthroat with each other because the future allocation numbers of limited production and very high priced models is dependent on how many units each individual store closes on. This kind of dealer behavior can be seen nowadays with the high demand/low inventory models of any manufacturer like the Honda Civic Type R and the Toyota Corolla GR. If you really insisted, I'm sure South Bay would be willing to deliver your new car to your home by Newport for you for a fee.

Corvette is entirely different. GM has an arrangement with all franchise dealers on how those are handled. One wouldn't get the same treatment if buying a Malibu from the same dealer. The closet thing that Porsche has for a VIP delivery experience is if you chose to pay the extra $2K to do PEC delivery which happens to be by South Bay and not Newport.

Last edited by rasetsu; 04-30-2024 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jhardy (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 04:58 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

At some point many dealers of different brands will probably go the Tesla route. Bought my kid a Tesla on the app after filtering what we wanted, setup funds transfer on it as well which was done in minutes. Then they told me when to pick it up. I didn't like a couple scratches on the bumper during the walk around, so they put in the system to ship one/install at my convenience. Then one signature accepting delivery and drove off.

I even asked the guy a couple times if "this was it?" We're talking maybe 10 minutes total.

I'm somewhat anti-games. Just get me in and out, I'm busy. Between work, kids sports, etc.. I have other stuff to do.

My first Porsche experience took hours. I told them after a couple hours that I was about to leave with my wife and kids to go feed them, and sure enough I did because they said it would take a little bit longer as their finance office guy had a few people waiting ahead of us and that we had plenty of time to go eat dinner. Then as we're waiting on our food I got a call that they're ready for us and that we needed to hurry because they close in 30 minutes. Sorry, but I don't have 4 hours to blow in the evening. We were there before 5, and planned to get dinner after we bought the car. Had the kitchen wrap our food in to-go boxes and the kids ate on the way back to the store. Given I was excited about the car, I didn't even eat.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:24 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,083 Likes on 645 Posts

Why the hell would you expect a completely differently owned business to want to work for free?

Man some people are clueless.

Unless this is a franchise and even then, you think some sales guy wants to prep and hand over your car for no commission?

You’re buying a Porsche, its safe to assume you’d understand the stores are generally individually owned?
Old 04-30-2024, 06:27 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,083 Likes on 645 Posts

You should go buy a Corvette lol.

Get over yourself…
Icegrill (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 07:11 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

It can be done , and I have done it multiple times
say you buy the car from dealer A and want delivery to dealer B
dealer A will enter in their system destination to dealer B . Has to be done early enough in the process so the car will arrive at the proper port of entry , and routed to dealer B by truck
Dealer B receives the car and does the PDI .
Dealer B send dealer A the invoice for the work .
You collect car at dealer B
problems that I have encountered is dealer B over charges dealer A for the PDI . I have heard numbers as high as 2 k which is ridiculous. Probably actual cost is couple of hundreds but apparently dealer A has to pay it
so that will cut profit margin from dealer A, but in reality they save couple hundred dollars on PDI
Also another issue is the paper work. Can be done virtual, but dealers feel that they have more advantage selling the extra packages if papers are done in person as compared to virtual. Famous pressure cooker with the finance guy
so dealer A have no incentive to do it unless they look at it as moving another unit that other wise they could not move , but this is unlikely with a 911 these days

Last edited by pitt911; 04-30-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:18 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

My SA is telling me that I cannot take delivery at my local dealer and must take delivery at his...he's at Porsche South Bay and I requested delivery at Porsche Newport. Not a huge deal just would be better at Newport to avoid the 100 mile or so roundtrip. This seems odd - you really can't take delivery at a different dealer than you purchase at?
You'd have a better chance taking delivery at the Ferrari dealership that is owned by the same dealership group than having your delivery at a Porsche dealership outside the dealership group.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Angryinch (05-01-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 07:58 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

take the scenic way home. got mine from the furthest dealer 80 miles away and turned it into a 200 mile mountain road trip.
jhardy (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:18 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

It's not free with Chevy, there is a courtesy delivery fee at the delivering dealer. Look at it this way - a Chevy dealer that gets no Corvette allocations, and thus no profits from them, can make a few hundred dollars delivering a car. Many times they are selling their own cars for a few hundred dollars over invoice, so why not do courtesy delivery. I admit its different in the Porsche world.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:19 PM
jhardy
Racer

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Why the hell would you expect a completely differently owned business to want to work for free?

Man some people are clueless.

Unless this is a franchise and even then, you think some sales guy wants to prep and hand over your car for no commission?

You’re buying a Porsche, its safe to assume you’d understand the stores are generally individually owned?
I bet you’re fun at parties. People do this. Believe or not in 2024 people arrange delivery at other dealerships. Apologies for melting your mind.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:20 PM
jhardy
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
It's not free with Chevy, there is a courtesy delivery fee at the delivering dealer. Look at it this way - a Chevy dealer that gets no Corvette allocations, and thus no profits from them, can make a few hundred dollars delivering a car. Many times they are selling their own cars for a few hundred dollars over invoice, so why not do courtesy delivery. I admit its different in the Porsche world.
Right that’s what I was hoping for. Pay a few hundred bucks vs a categorical no. Oh well no big deal.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:24 PM
jhardy
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
It can be done , and I have done it multiple times
say you buy the car from dealer A and want delivery to dealer B
dealer A will enter in their system destination to dealer B . Has to be done early enough in the process so the car will arrive at the proper port of entry , and routed to dealer B by truck
Dealer B receives the car and does the PDI .
Dealer B send dealer A the invoice for the work .
You collect car at dealer B
problems that I have encountered is dealer B over charges dealer A for the PDI . I have heard numbers as high as 2 k which is ridiculous. Probably actual cost is couple of hundreds but apparently dealer A has to pay it
so that will cut profit margin from dealer A, but in reality they save couple hundred dollars on PDI
Also another issue is the paper work. Can be done virtual, but dealers feel that they have more advantage selling the extra packages if papers are done in person as compared to virtual. Famous pressure cooker with the finance guy
so dealer A have no incentive to do it unless they look at it as moving another unit that other wise they could not move , but this is unlikely with a 911 these days
Yup I suspected it could be done. Thanks for verifying.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:56 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

If it’s so inconvenient for you, why didn’t you purchase locally?
Old 04-30-2024, 09:08 PM
jhardy
Racer

Originally Posted by Pointbye
If it’s so inconvenient for you, why didn’t you purchase locally?
Lack of allocations. Not really that inconvenient as long as I avoid rush hour traffic.
nyca (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Taking Delivery at a Different Dealership