Sponsored by:

Offered a base allocation yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:51 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
‘Trust me…I agonized over those posts! In the end, it must be a small percentage of cars that experience that given how many cars have Sports Chrono. I figured that I’d take a chance on that one.
completely agree. I had the hardest time. Unfortunately I figured I was way more ocd than I was going to be using sport plus and launch. I’ll bet you love it either way.

Last edited by dvu; 04-28-2024 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Onami (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:59 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,697 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by suffer
Blind spot monitoring has probably saved countless lives and accidents. I don't get this line of thinking.
He has a point. People who trust it blindly are those who are likely to still get into an accident. Drivers aids are to be used as a back up not as a primary line of defense, so when you add these devices to vehicles and people 'jesus take the wheel' all that part of driving to it and trust it fully, it can cause more harm than good. There is more than one way to look at safety too such as lowering accidents, and lowering severity. Aids can lower accidents (and it may only be a short term fix) but I think they can increase severity. I think the best example would be auto driving cars; in theory they'll reduce accidents someday, but when an accident happens its going to be horrific. Your average potato driver is at least good at panicing and slowing the car down so most collisions happen at low speed. The guy on the highway that says oh I hit that at 100kph! doesn't realize he had several seconds of decel before impact and probably only was going 30-40kph or whatever when he impacted it. When a auto driving car malfunctions (and it will) its going to be an impact at full speed, wiht a good chance of it being into oncoming traffic. It's also going to be completely out of your control if you die or not which is going to increase travel anxiety.

A better solution would be for people to take proper driving lessons + advanced driving collision avoidance training and lower severity and do followup training. But no one wants to drop $1000+ on something that could save their life at one of the most risky things they do each day so here we are having to mandate drivers aids into vehicles that cost far more.

Blindspot detection is completely useless if you drive properly. situational awareness, check mirrors at proper intervals, shoulder check, signal, shoulder check again and change lanes one at a time repeating the process for each lane change with no sudden maneuvers. Do that your entire life and you should never hit anything ever in your 'blindspot'.
dg108 (05-04-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:26 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
I would take the allocation. Who knows what the 992.2 price jump will be, likely a long wait time, maybe an ADM even for the base.
Agree. We don't know what the price will be, but we know for sure it is coming.

Originally Posted by Wilder
I don't agree with the assessment above that the .2s are always more desirable.
Personally, the only Carrera that interests me is the T with a manual because it's the lightest 911 aside from the ST.
Spot on.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:44 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments. I placed my order this morning for the 992.1 base. There were a couple of reasons why I didn't wait for the 992. First, I could spec it any way that I wanted. In Canada, Porsche is looking for a little more than $20k in options on average from their dealers. Some dealers are firm on this to make sure that they hit their expected average. Others, are more flexible. Second, there is really nothing that I dislike about the 992.1. That may or may not be the case for me with the 992.2. Third, I really don't want any type of hybrid - even the smallest/simplest. Fourth, I'm guessing at least a 5% price increase for the 992.2. Some feel that it will be closer to 10%. Finally, the spec locks today, so I can be driving it by mid-late July.

As much as I love the thought of a Carrera T, the base optioned as I did fits my needs better. This will be a weekend/retirement car for my wife and I. I ordered: Black with black 4 way seats, 21 inch Classic Wheels with colored crests, sport Chrono, sport exhaust, 911 rear badge only, sport design side skirts, puddle lights, dashcam prep, headrest crests, power folding mirrors, LCA.
The following 6 users liked this post by Onami:
ChrisGT3 (05-04-2024), Lindstone (05-03-2024), mashoutposse (05-04-2024), nyca (05-03-2024), pal (05-03-2024), politeperson (05-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:59 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Thanks for all of the comments. I placed my order this morning for the 992.1 base. There were a couple of reasons why I didn't wait for the 992. First, I could spec it any way that I wanted. In Canada, Porsche is looking for a little more than $20k in options on average from their dealers. Some dealers are firm on this to make sure that they hit their expected average. Others, are more flexible. Second, there is really nothing that I dislike about the 992.1. That may or may not be the case for me with the 992.2. Third, I really don't want any type of hybrid - even the smallest/simplest. Fourth, I'm guessing at least a 5% price increase for the 992.2. Some feel that it will be closer to 10%. Finally, the spec locks today, so I can be driving it by mid-late July.

As much as I love the thought of a Carrera T, the base optioned as I did fits my needs better. This will be a weekend/retirement car for my wife and I. I ordered: Black with black 4 way seats, 21 inch Classic Wheels with colored crests, sport Chrono, sport exhaust, 911 rear badge only, sport design side skirts, puddle lights, dashcam prep, headrest crests, power folding mirrors, LCA.

All good reasons. Congrats and enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvu:
Lindstone (05-03-2024), Onami (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:37 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Agreed. Good reasons. Good decision. Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 05-03-2024, 09:42 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 426 Likes on 180 Posts

Smart decision Mark! Honestly, just seeing what the front bumper fresh will potentially look like made me want the current 992.1 generation.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:01 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Smart decision Mark! Honestly, just seeing what the front bumper fresh will potentially look like made me want the current 992.1 generation.
Thanks Cam!
Old 05-04-2024, 12:29 AM
jhardy
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Are you talking about the vertical slats? I like what I've seen for the rear but that and a small HP bump not enough to wait...have a 992.1 C2S being delivery in July...made same decision as OP.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:04 AM
akaringo
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
If you go back through the history of 911's for all the watercooled stuff the .2 is generally far more attractive. Either it fixed mechanical issues, or styling issues people didn't like. addressed driver feel issues people didn't like. Has more performance. Often commands a higher price even far down the road when it shouldn't really matter anymore. Not everything is always 'better' but generally the pros outweigh the cons on the .2's.

By all historical evidence the last of a .1 should be avoided and the .2 should be worth waiting for..... except the hybrid is a pretty big wildcard. You can guarantee the .2 is going to be a big price jump. If you're going with a stripper base model depreciation should be limited too. I'd probably just pull hte trigger on a .1 base and not go crazy with options.
I guess it depends. The .1 gets the new design and the chassis while retaining the .2 engine from the previous gen. The .2 gets new engine. I'd avoid new engines because I don't want to be a beta tester, so to me, .1 with new design/proven engine is better than .2.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:07 AM
Newusername
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 106 Posts

My T is just a fancy base, option it right and enjoy, it’s such a great enjoyable car and a great power level for the street.
N3DXT (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Offered a base allocation yesterday