Sponsored by:

OBD2 bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 12:38 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts
Default OBD2 bracket

I went to hook onto the OBD port and found that the port was just hanging loose out of the bracket. I have no idea how it might have come free. I can't seem to slide it from the rear of the bracket nor am able to remove the bracket to try to slide it back Into position..as you all know, it's a really tight spot to work on it. Any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2024, 08:55 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I think I'd let my dealer take care of it. It's an Emissions Warranty. I'd guess that the Purple Connector: Either was never inserted far enough into the Black plastic to engage the plastic locks that should hold it in position, or an immense amount of force was applied to the face to the Purple Connector in order to force it backwards past the plastic lock tabs that are designed to keep it in place. If the later is what has occurred I'd want to be sure the locking tabs on BOTH the Purple Connector and the Black plastic were undamaged.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Fullyield (04-13-2024), tomtomtomtom (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:41 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I think I'd let my dealer take care of it. It's an Emissions Warranty. I'd guess that the Purple Connector: Either was never inserted far enough into the Black plastic to engage the plastic locks that should hold it in position, or an immense amount of force was applied to the face to the Purple Connector in order to force it backwards past the plastic lock tabs that are designed to keep it in place. If the later is what has occurred I'd want to be sure the locking tabs on BOTH the Purple Connector and the Black plastic were undamaged.
As best that I can see, nothing is broken...but since the wiring is all in tact, it must have been pushed up through the top of the bracket...just can't figure out how to get it back through.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:12 AM
ecf34
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is the OBD port supposed to be purple? I tried plugging in a connector today and it wouldn’t stay. Am I missing a part?
Old 04-14-2024, 04:04 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
As best that I can see, nothing is broken...but since the wiring is all in tact, it must have been pushed up through the top of the bracket...just can't figure out how to get it back through.
I guess I could take a look at mine, but can you see if the metal bracket that holds the black plastic is bolted to something. I’m guessing that it’s just a relatively small “L” shaped metal bracket. Its sole purpose being to hold the OBDII Connector in position.The goal/hope would be to remove it in order to get a real good look at the back side of the black plastic. I’d guess that to reinsert the purple connector you’d want to see what sort of lock(s) or flap(s) may be in the way. Designed to keep dirt from collecting on the top side of the purple connector, when everything is installed correctly. But now this design is blocking the way to install the purple connector into the black plastic. When the wiring harness is originally assembled there is probably a tool or a specific process used to insert the purple connector into the black plastic retainer.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 04-14-2024 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:17 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ecf34
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is the OBD port supposed to be purple? I tried plugging in a connector today and it wouldn’t stay. Am I missing a part?
The connector can be whatever color plastic the manufacturer wants. I don’t think the SAE codes specifically require any specific color. Just shape and wire position.
you’re not missing any part. Make sure your connector (male terminals) has positions for two rows of eight terminals. There will probably only be six or eight positions that actually have a metal pin or wire. Older GM pre-OBDII computer systems used a twelve pin connector. Make sure yours is the OBDII sixteen pin design.

Quick Reply: OBD2 bracket