Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 "mini-duck" on GT3 touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 01:13 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 371 Posts

Back in San Diego this afternoon, and finished up paint on the mini-duck - after fiddling with all the various parts between the GT3 wing and GT3 touring configurations, I discovered that the best way to fit this to a Touring was to use the touring (or any 992 coupe) metal spoiler base with all mechanicals removed. The carbon wing base does not have a provision for the hood latch, and thus would require fabrication of a custom bracket to add that. However, once I disassembled the mechanicals from the stock base, the difference is weight is 2 lbs - the carbon base weights 4 llbs and the aluminum base weights 6. So probably not worth the effort to retrofit the carbon wing base to the touring. Surprisingly, the rear hooks the retain the spoiler bolt right onto the touring base - needed to slightly profile them, but worked perfectly. Lastly, the inner ducts in the mini-duck do not quite line up with the touring base - but a simple minor trim of the plastic solved this problem and now fits perfectly.

I have to say that I LOVE the final result - I think it's a massive improvement from the mechanical actuated spoiler that I never liked. And, it's 15 lbs lighter all in. The only real issue with this mod is the prohibitive cost of the OEM wing mini-duck.

Here is the stripped down metal base - this one is actually off of a 2021 C2 that I purchased off of ebay to avoid cannibalizing my stock unit.

These are the wing clips - same clips as used on GT3, etc. . . slight trimming required, but fit right into stock mounting plate

BINGO!

The following 13 users liked this post by f4bones:
AlterZgo (05-13-2024), catdog2 (05-03-2024), dixonk (04-20-2024), incoming992s (05-13-2024), Jeff Whitten (05-15-2024), KM20Turbo (04-21-2024), MovingChicane (04-24-2024), NRAzar (05-14-2024), RolandT (05-13-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-20-2024), Scottykenneth (05-04-2024), silverscooby27 (05-17-2024), SunnySF (05-14-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-20-2024, 02:01 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Back in San Diego this afternoon, and finished up paint on the mini-duck - after fiddling with all the various parts between the GT3 wing and GT3 touring configurations, I discovered that the best way to fit this to a Touring was to use the touring (or any 992 coupe) metal spoiler base with all mechanicals removed. The carbon wing base does not have a provision for the hood latch, and thus would require fabrication of a custom bracket to add that. However, once I disassembled the mechanicals from the stock base, the difference is weight is 2 lbs - the carbon base weights 4 llbs and the aluminum base weights 6. So probably not worth the effort to retrofit the carbon wing base to the touring. Surprisingly, the rear hooks the retain the spoiler bolt right onto the touring base - needed to slightly profile them, but worked perfectly. Lastly, the inner ducts in the mini-duck do not quite line up with the touring base - but a simple minor trim of the plastic solved this problem and now fits perfectly.

I have to say that I LOVE the final result - I think it's a massive improvement from the mechanical actuated spoiler that I never liked. And, it's 15 lbs lighter all in. The only real issue with this mod is the prohibitive cost of the OEM wing mini-duck.

Here is the stripped down metal base - this one is actually off of a 2021 C2 that I purchased off of ebay to avoid cannibalizing my stock unit.

These are the wing clips - same clips as used on GT3, etc. . . slight trimming required, but fit right into stock mounting plate

BINGO!

That looks great bro! Love it! Do I need to bring anything with me for Monday’s coding session?

@paxton it looks like @f4bones had the same idea we just texted about (….using my old base so you don’t have to ruin your OG base).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-20-2024 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:09 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Seems to me the major issue with aftermarket ducks is that they are meant to bolt to the motorized arms on the stock base, and not really sure how you can delete all the motors, etc as once it's closed, you don't have access to fasteners. My plan once the Moshammer arrives is to try and fabricate some mounts for it so that it mounts exactly like the wing GT3 mini duck - IE hooks in the back and 2 screws in front. You simply slide the spoiler forward to capture the hooks in the back, and then install the two bolts in the front . . .

It seems silly to leave all the motors, shields, and other parts inside for a fixed spoiler, but I think this is what is intended . .
Old 04-20-2024, 02:17 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Seems to me the major issue with aftermarket ducks is that they are meant to bolt to the motorized arms on the stock base, and not really sure how you can delete all the motors, etc as once it's closed, you don't have access to fasteners. My plan once the Moshammer arrives is to try and fabricate some mounts for it so that it mounts exactly like the wing GT3 mini duck - IE hooks in the back and 2 screws in front. You simply slide the spoiler forward to capture the hooks in the back, and then install the two bolts in the front . . .

It seems silly to leave all the motors, shields, and other parts inside for a fixed spoiler, but I think this is what is intended . .
I compared my OEM active aero base to my OEM AeroKit base. They are definitely the same, just configured differently. The OEM active aero base can be stripped down to accept fixed base parts, as you’ve discovered. I was going to toss it, but I will likely give it to @paxton for use with his Moshammer duck.
The following users liked this post:
paxton (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 02:25 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Right on - i'll figure out how to make some slick mounts for the Moshammer so that all the internals of the motorized drive can be deleted. I'll probably fiddle with adding the truck latch onto the carbon GT3 wing base as well as I have a few of them, and 2 lbs is still something . . . .certainly not worth purchasing the wing base to save 2 lbs, but as I have them already, might as well!
dontlookback (05-18-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 02:39 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Right on - i'll figure out how to make some slick mounts for the Moshammer so that all the internals of the motorized drive can be deleted. I'll probably fiddle with adding the truck latch onto the carbon GT3 wing base as well as I have a few of them, and 2 lbs is still something . . . .certainly not worth purchasing the wing base to save 2 lbs, but as I have them already, might as well!
Do you want me to bring the base to you Monday so you can configure it for him?
Old 04-20-2024, 12:14 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

I much prefer the wing ducktail over the ugly flappy wing the touring comes with as well. I have actually been debating on coding my wing to not come up until 80mph or higher.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:32 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I much prefer the wing ducktail over the ugly flappy wing the touring comes with as well. I have actually been debating on coding my wing to not come up until 80mph or higher.
I had my aero coded out at my shop with PIWIS. Set the aero height to zero and make sure the error message at 75mph that the wing should come up is removed to. Works for me.
dixonk (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 01:24 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I had my aero coded out at my shop with PIWIS. Set the aero height to zero and make sure the error message at 75mph that the wing should come up is removed to. Works for me.
So you didn’t mess with the set speeds? You just coded it out completely?
Old 04-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

So you didn’t mess with the set speeds? You just coded it out completely?
yes, just set the height to zero.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:06 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

yes, just set the height to zero.
I want to keep mine functional at higher speeds. Just don’t want it up while cruising around town.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I want to keep mine functional at higher speeds. Just don’t want it up while cruising around town.
cruising around town above 60mph?
Old 04-20-2024, 02:10 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

cruising around town above 60mph?
It’s Oklahoma. We cruise at 80 here. 60 is for the avenues lol. Triple digits for the long stretches.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:22 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update on this project. I was successful in coding out the spoiler, but took some doing! Normally, you can just configure the spoiler in Maintenance of Vehicle Data and then program the appropriate modules, but for the Touring, it seemed that the "touring" package option conflicted with the the spoiler, and I struggled for days trying to get it to not alert at 70mph. Finally, I changed the Touring to Sport Classic and recoded - bingo! I then changed it back so it wouldn't effect other modules so successfully coded out.

On the mount, I used a spare C2 mount I bought off of ebay so I wouldn't have to disassemble my touring assembly - worked fine. However, I'd like to use the winged mount as it's 2 lbs lighter, but lacks a mount for the truck latch. I'm fabricating an adapter so that the latch can me mounted to the winged platform and save a few lbs. However, if one does this, you will also have to change out the air filter top part as it's different between the touring and wing. Probably not worth the effort for most folks.

I'm still waiting for my Moshammer touring duck to show up - it's been stuck in customs for past 2 weeks. As soon as it gets here, I'll post an update to compare the two, but I think this OEM solution is hard to beat . . . expect OEM pricing is just insane for the winged mini-duck. One could probably get the same look with one of the Chinese knock offs that sell for around $500.
The following 7 users liked this post by f4bones:
AlterZgo (05-13-2024), Charcharius (05-12-2024), cyn (05-13-2024), dixonk (05-12-2024), InfamousS/T (05-12-2024), M3Inline6 (05-12-2024), SA_992SMT (05-13-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:27 AM
cyn
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yesterday evening a friend and I did some runs past a professional photographer that sets up on Skyline every now and then ("Seen on Skyline"). I've just seen my GT3T from behind with the flappy wing open. Something must be done.

I like this little mini duck tail (another awesome @f4bones project ) but the OEM pricey is completely excessive. I will watch out on ebay for any crash damaged ones or if anyone finds a good after market I'm all ears.

In the mean time, I can't tell from above if you have to fully disable the wing or if it's possible to keep the tail down until above (eg) 75 MPH. I believe the S/T keeps it down until 80 so clearly the computer can handle it.
dontlookback (05-13-2024)

Quick Reply: GT3 "mini-duck" on GT3 touring