Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 992 - Is this price fair

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 11:31 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by tbruce731
They budged a few thousand but nothing meaningful. It just arrived there about 3 days ago so - its not even gone through the CPO process, etc.
Not yet listed at all - I could not imagine they will list it at 150! It would show on so many sites that it is far over priced. Sales guy was even trying to play up that is 100% PPF 😂 .

I in the end walked out and said can't wait to hear when you call me back with a reasonable price. Lets see what happens. I do love the spec but will 100% walk away - not going to get robbed because they may themselves overpaid for the car.
I bet that CPO price is baked in as soon as they take ownership. They know by the service records and visual inspection the dollars it will take to certify. If any surprises are found, the price will only rise. Now the price may drop in a few weeks, but they are betting a buyer will buy it due to current demand. People are buying these cars sight unseen over the phone!
I just scratch my head sometimes and can't understand the logic of letting a buyer walk out the door for a product that's obviously overpriced...pure insanity!
My bet is you will not hear from them. unless someone comes to their senses.

Are you looking for a particular color combo or options? I'm seeing quite a few CPO "S" models ranging from the mid-high $120's to high $130's?

Old 04-04-2024, 11:06 AM
tbruce731
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For specs - Sport Package, Tilt + Slide Glass Sunroof, I want the 14 or 18 way Adjustable seats, at least the upgrade to Leather Interior, Bose Sound system - But I really would love to have Burmester so that is holding a lot of weight. Most other items I can be flexible on.
I like a more subtle look as well - No LOUD colors. I personally love Chalk, GT Silver and Black.

I've found another car in Texas (1000+ Miles away from me) I am going after - it however is not CPO and about $25k less with similar miles. MSRP is about $12k less than the other one I mentioned above.
Maybe I can use that as a negotiating token with the local dealership?
My only concern is it is out of warranty and non-CPO. Outside of getting a PPI I would potentially but sight unseen by myself.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

I would not buy a non-CPO car.

Yes, there are aftermarket warranties, but all else equal, I would rather have CPO
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (04-04-2024), Gary12000 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:55 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

The issue that I take with CPO process is I have seen some Porsche dealers CPO vehicles that have been involved in an accident and not just bumper cover replacements.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
The issue that I take with CPO process is I have seen some Porsche dealers CPO vehicles that have been involved in an accident and not just bumper cover replacements.
No doubt.

But generally speaking there are less issues and hoops to jump through with warranty claims with Porsche (i.e. CPO) than an aftermarket warranty (i.e. Fidelity).
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:02 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

For specs - Sport Package, Tilt + Slide Glass Sunroof, I want the 14 or 18 way Adjustable seats, at least the upgrade to Leather Interior, Bose Sound system - But I really would love to have Burmester so that is holding a lot of weight. Most other items I can be flexible on.
I like a more subtle look as well - No LOUD colors. I personally love Chalk, GT Silver and Black.

I've found another car in Texas (1000+ Miles away from me) I am going after - it however is not CPO and about $25k less with similar miles. MSRP is about $12k less than the other one I mentioned above.
My only concern is it is out of warranty and non-CPO. Outside of getting a PPI I would potentially but sight unseen by myself.
Be wary of a recent model year non-CPO car on a Porsche dealer lot. A dealer will do everything that they can do to CPO a car so that it commands a premium. If they weren't able to CPO it, there's a typically a reason -- ugly DME report, accident history, etc. Porsche will CPO cars up to 13 model years old and less than 124,000 miles.

If you're buying the non-CPO car from a non-Porsche dealer, spend that money on a PPI. Spending a few grand on a good PPI is peace of mind and far cheaper than making the expensive mistake of a bad purchase.

IMHO, a non-CPO car 1000 miles away isn't going to be much leverage with your local dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
gcurnew (04-05-2024), vg247 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:08 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 67 Posts

A minor counter point, but I recently traded in a Cayman S. It was in perfect condition, never seen rain, religious maintenance, etc. But they could not CPO it because it has Soul street headers and Soul valved exhaust. So at least one data point of a car that won't be offered CPO but is known to be an amazingly perfect condition example. Someone that cares about these mods will be getting a killer deal on that car.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:18 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Be wary of a recent model year non-CPO car on a Porsche dealer lot. A dealer will do everything that they can do to CPO a car so that it commands a premium. If they weren't able to CPO it, there's a typically a reason -- ugly DME report, accident history, etc. Porsche will CPO cars up to 13 model years old and less than 124,000 miles.

From what I have personally seen an accident history does not seem to affect one from being CPO’ed unless it was a moderate to severe accident.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:21 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
From what I have personally seen an accident history does not seem to affect one from being CPO’ed unless it was a moderate to severe accident.
Yep, hence why a non-CPO car sitting on a dealer lot should get the stink eye.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:24 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

I would not buy one of these without a CPO or some type of warranty.
Have you taken a look at these...
All are "S", all are the colors you're looking for, all are CPO with price ranging from mid $120k to mid $140k
Took me a few minutes to basically search the entire country and its not a complete list!

Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Autobahn Motorcars
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at The Collection
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Birmingham
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Leith Porsche
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Greensboro
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Southpoint
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Flemington
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Paul Miller Porsche
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Paul Miller Porsche
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Manhattan Motorcars
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Farmington Hills
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Autobahn Motorcars
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Minneapolis
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Carlsbad
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche San Luis Obispo
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Stevens Creek
Buy used Porsche 911 Carrera S at Porsche Redwood City
Old 04-04-2024, 12:25 PM
tbruce731
AutoX

This car is not being sold at a Porsche Dealership. It is being sold at a MB dealership and I believe the previous sale is now >2 years back making the previous CPO sale expired.
But yes I will look into getting a PPI on this vehicle. Any recommendations on a reputable shop for a PPI in Dallas please let me know!
Old 04-04-2024, 04:34 PM
tbruce731
AutoX

The Car in TX that is a great day has a CPO active until late 2025 (Confirmed with the VIN) however because it is being sold through a dealer Porsche said the CPO dies there... unless there is a loop hole? I believe via a private sale the CPO follows the VIN not sure why a dealer sale changes that.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:49 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

The Car in TX that is a great day has a CPO active until late 2025 (Confirmed with the VIN) however because it is being sold through a dealer Porsche said the CPO dies there... unless there is a loop hole? I believe via a private sale the CPO follows the VIN not sure why a dealer sale changes that.
No loophole, its spelled out clearly in the CPO approved warranty details...
-The warranty is not transferable to non-Porsche licensed motor vehicle dealers acquiring the vehicle for the purpose of resale, rental car entities or businesses whose purpose is transporting passengers.
-The warranty and the ability to extend the warranty within the age and mileage limits is fully transferable provided the car is sold privately.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:48 PM
tbruce731
AutoX

I found quite a good deal for a loaded car out of state. It currently has an existing CPO warranty that is good until mid 2025 but sadly for sale at a dealership killing the CPO
I am waiting on getting a PPI performed but I think I am going to move forward with the purchase as long as the PPI goes well!
Old 04-05-2024, 09:26 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 178 Posts

This car is not being sold at a Porsche Dealership. It is being sold at a MB dealership and I believe the previous sale is now >2 years back making the previous CPO sale expired.
But yes I will look into getting a PPI on this vehicle. Any recommendations on a reputable shop for a PPI in Dallas please let me know!
RAC Performance
Zims
Mayo

https://rennlist.com/forums/central-...on-please.html

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 992 - Is this price fair