Sponsored by:

Chineesium 992 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim VS OEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 05:53 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Chineesium 992 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim VS OEM

Thought I'd post a few photos of an experiment I recently completed. I ordered a BEAUTIFUL custom wheel for my 992 GT3 from Protekparts.eu - black leather w/ silver stitching and gloss carbon trim. He builds these wheels with all OEM parts and does amazing work at a very attractive price. For the wheel I removed, also black leather with silver stitching, but without the 12 o'clock marking, and with plastic trim, I purchased this gloss trim piece off of ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404750855281

This item was around $275 delivered - the OEM trim is close to $2,000. Upon receipt of the Chineesium part, I was quite surprised by the quality - really very close if not the same as the OEM. I actually think the carbon fiber is a slightly better match for the OEM dash trim, but it's a very close call. I saw no obvious defects in the china trim piece, and certainly for the price, its a very reasonable option.

I then installed it on the factory GT3 leather wheel. Disassembly is difficult as the back plastic trim is very tightly snapped into the front trim - it's takes patience and a light touch to disassemble without damaging the trim. Once disassembled, assembly with the china trim was relatively straighforward. I did have to slightly trim one of the alignment pins w/ a razor to get it to mate. Assembled, the fit is not quite as good as the OEM trim out of the box. I didn't take the time to trim the china part, but with a little massaging, one could make it fit perfectly, and be virtually indistinguishable from OEM. The only obvious area that need massaging is the bottom back interface between the black plastic trim and the carbon front trim - there is a slighly larger gap than on the OEM part. Overall, I would highly recommend this option if you are at all handy and have a wheel that you love except for the plastic trim, or of you want to convert to gloss from matt or vice versa . . . .

China trim on OEM 992 GT3 wheel

Top view of China trim

Bottom spoke if China trim

OEM trim

Top view of OEM trim

Bottom spoke of OEM trim

Top view of OEM trim

Bottom view of china trim

Bottom view of OEM trim

Last edited by f4bones; 03-29-2024 at 05:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by f4bones:
Porschetuner2005 (03-29-2024), vg247 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:04 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

The carbon parts aren’t made in Germany bruh.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...n-made-in.html
Old 03-29-2024, 11:14 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Never said they were . . . just a quick comparison of the OEM-sourced trim vs.inexpensive alternative.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:59 AM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what’s the ballpark on a black leather GT wheel from that vendor? I assume it’s just a wheel and I use my airbag, trim and controls?
Old 03-30-2024, 01:53 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

I bought my wheel assemblies from protechpart.eu - about $1,900 I think after discount (rennlister gets you 10% off).

​​​​​​https://protechpartseu.com/collectio...rs-gts-992-911

These wheels come with OEM parts and are OEM quality - the ebay trim above was an experiment to see if a lower-cost carbon trim would be acceptable should anyone want to change trim styles. I haven't experimented with any of the bare wheels off of ebay, and for me, it's not worth the hassle. I spec'd exactly what I wanted and Protechparts delived it to me in about a week . .
Old 03-30-2024, 03:28 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for the kind words.
I worked in custom carbon fiber manufacturing for about 10 years.The thing with the china cover frames if that they use low quality resin that goes yellow very fast and then starts to melt like a leftover glue.Oem crbon parts for Porsche mostly come from Cz.We got those in the shop also in 3 types of carbon.Still didnt understoud on what models the big carbon fiber glossy goes on,If you want to get custom ones not oem i would go with companies like dbcarbon that use prepeg or infusion,those last good in the heat.
The following users liked this post:
f4bones (03-30-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 04:33 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Update:We reduced carbon cover frames to 649eur so they are more affordable for people.Also reduced steering wheels with 10%.Only genuine.

Quick Reply: Chineesium 992 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim VS OEM