Sponsored by:

Removal of 992 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 11:13 AM
kentv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal of 992 Battery

Unbelievable. I never thought I'd be posting that I can't remove a battery. But on my '21 992 there is a neoprene flap/windshield seal (with several attachments for the trunk compartment/battery cover) that extends from the windshield down into the front trunk partially impeding access to the battery. Using all my gorilla might, I cannot pull up, angle the battery, bend the flap out of the way, and yank the battery out. I'm not a gorilla, but I've removed dozens of auto batteries in my time. What's the deal here? Porsche can't give clear battery access and requires that it be a two man process? To be clear, the last thing I want to do is break that windshield seal or snap any of the compartment cover catches attached to it. Has anyone had this issue or problem yet?
Old 03-09-2024, 11:31 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,618 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by kentv
Unbelievable. I never thought I'd be posting that I can't remove a battery. But on my '21 992 there is a neoprene flap/windshield seal (with several attachments for the trunk compartment/battery cover) that extends from the windshield down into the front trunk partially impeding access to the battery. Using all my gorilla might, I cannot pull up, angle the battery, bend the flap out of the way, and yank the battery out. I'm not a gorilla, but I've removed dozens of auto batteries in my time. What's the deal here? Porsche can't give clear battery access and requires that it be a two man process? To be clear, the last thing I want to do is break that windshield seal or snap any of the compartment cover catches attached to it. Has anyone had this issue or problem yet?

Porsche recommends professional R&I of the 992 batteries.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:09 PM
kentv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TUD
Porsche recommends professional R&I of the 992 batteries.
That I knew.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:11 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

That I knew.

It has been previously posted that the removal of the negative terminal by an unauthorized individual is later a $500 repair at a Porsche dealership.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

are you stepping into the frunk?

As talked about here @2:17

Old 03-09-2024, 07:18 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
It has been previously posted that the removal of the negative terminal by an unauthorized individual is later a $500 repair at a Porsche dealership.
Only if you are an idiot. I have disconnected mine several times. It is no different than any other car/battery connection.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:20 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 136 Posts

Did you remove the black cross brace and air pump housing?? That should give you room to extract the battery.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:30 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Only if you are an idiot. I have disconnected mine several times. It is no different than any other car/battery connection.
Just a messenger. No clue… my 992 is relatively new. Allegedly something about the nut for the negative post not being reusable. Non-issue on my 7.2.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:00 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Just a messenger. No clue… my 992 is relatively new. Allegedly something about the nut for the negative post not being reusable. Non-issue on my 7.2.
To clarify; loosening is fine to remove the negative terminal. It’s just a captive nut, so these fools keep going when they feel resistance and mangle the terminal stud.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
Denny Swift (03-11-2024), RatherJaded (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 08:12 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icegrill
To clarify; loosening is fine to remove the negative terminal. It’s just a captive nut, so these fools keep going when they feel resistance and mangle the terminal stud.

Yes.

I recently slightly loosed the positive and negative to apply the CTEK leads. I had zero issues. No need to fully remove either nut.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:34 PM
kentv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Did you remove the black cross brace and air pump housing?? That should give you room to extract the battery.
A few updates. I got my engine to start after charging the battery--and jumping from my other vehicle. I was careful to follow Porsche instructions.

About that cross bar, I thought of that, but I didn't see that being done in the YouTubes I'd watched. Probably because they were older cars. Also, just looking at that bar gave me pause. It's secured by 4 bolts and the bar, itself, is the "hitching post" for the strut suspension tubes. It looks like I could have taken that out and just exercised care on those tubes, but was concerned, as that would have been a first for me. As if I'd "jimmy" and damage those tubes from the struts (I have no manual, so I don't know what those are really called). Anyway, maybe next time I'll try taking that out.

For now, I guess I'm all set to bring the car in to the dealer. My main goal appears accomplished--avoiding a tow for such a minor matter.

About resetting the computer. Is that really an issue? My service advisor said I'd need them to do it, regardless of what I did with the car since my battery was totally dead. Whether he's right, I don't know.

Thx all.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:19 PM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

A few updates. I got my engine to start after charging the battery--and jumping from my other vehicle. I was careful to follow Porsche instructions.

About that cross bar, I thought of that, but I didn't see that being done in the YouTubes I'd watched. Probably because they were older cars. Also, just looking at that bar gave me pause. It's secured by 4 bolts and the bar, itself, is the "hitching post" for the strut suspension tubes. It looks like I could have taken that out and just exercised care on those tubes, but was concerned, as that would have been a first for me. As if I'd "jimmy" and damage those tubes from the struts (I have no manual, so I don't know what those are really called). Anyway, maybe next time I'll try taking that out.

For now, I guess I'm all set to bring the car in to the dealer. My main goal appears accomplished--avoiding a tow for such a minor matter.

About resetting the computer. Is that really an issue? My service advisor said I'd need them to do it, regardless of what I did with the car since my battery was totally dead. Whether he's right, I don't know.

Thx all.
the black bar/tube is made of steel so it’s relatively sturdy. The only damage you can do is chip the paint. I have removed it to make it easier to take out the battery. The car will be fine once the battery is disconnected and reconnected. My car complained about the parking brake after disconnecting the battery. It’s resolved after disengaging and engaging the parking brake. The only issue is that i dont know the torque specs of the four bolts holding the black bar. I have to carefully set it according to my experience and muscle memory.

Quick Reply: Removal of 992 Battery