Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carplay icons - too big in relation to overall dash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 12:04 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Carplay icons - too big in relation to overall dash?

Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting the full screen software update for Apple Carplay for my PCM 5. The thing that is throwing me off however is the icon size. I just bought my wife a new Lexus RX 350 which has wireless Apple Carplay; however, when you take a look at the size of the icons in Apple Carplay, they are too big in relation to the dash. I feel like it was meant for kindergarteners. It cheapens the whole look of the dash. Way too much in your face. How many of you that have the whole screen upgrade or PCM 6 think that the icons are too big for the look and feel of the 911 dash? The fonts and look of the 911 dash were meant to look precise and racing performance-like. Do you think that when Porsche originally did the partial screen for Apple Carplay that they did that because they wanted to preserve that racing feel? I understand that you can get the full screen but preserve the size of the smaller icons.

Would like to get your guys opinions before I make my decision. Posting some pics of the look and feel for the big and small icons would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by Autobacs; 03-02-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting the full screen software update for Apple Carplay for my PCM 5. The thing that is throwing me off however is the icon size. I just bought my wife a new Lexus RX 350 which has wireless Apple Carplay; however, when you take a look at the size of the icons in Apple Carplay, they are too big in relation to the dash. I feel like it was meant for kindergarteners. It cheapens the whole look of the dash. Way too much in your face. How many of you that have the whole screen upgrade or PCM 6 think that the icons are too big for the look and feel of the 911 dash? The fonts and look of the 911 dash were meant to look precise and racing performance-like. Do you think that when Porsche originally did the partial screen for Apple Carplay that they did that because they wanted to preserve that racing feel? I understand that you can get the full screen but preserve the size of the smaller icons.

Would like to get your guys opinions before I make my decision. Posting some pics of the look and feel for the big and small icons would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Lots of pics here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1324...id-auto-3.html

Factory PCM 6 2024 model

Full screen mod

Last edited by Jeff Whitten; 03-02-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:01 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,187 Posts

I have the innovativesoft for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:09 PM
WVERUNER
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intrested

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I have the innovativesoft for sale. PM me if interested.
Intrested possibly in car play large screen for 21 porsche 911
please contact me with details at wveruner@aol.com
Old 03-02-2024, 05:10 PM
WVERUNER
3rd Gear

possibly interested please do contact me have a 21 porsche 911
Old 03-03-2024, 08:35 AM
Roadworrier
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a 2024 which has the latest software upgrade. I got big fingers, I'm 63, I wear glasses and I like big CarPlay icons that are easy to use. The auxiliary ones on the left side are as small as you want to go. On our Macan (which does not have full-width CarPlay even on the newest ICE models, don't know about the EVs), the icons are still too small. On my daily work-driver, the Subie Crosstrek has a 12" vertically oriented screen, and the big CarPlay icons and huge Google Maps display are the best of any car (and way better compared to the native Subie display). Bigger is better. And I don't even watch ****.

Last edited by Roadworrier; 03-03-2024 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F250to911 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:17 PM
WVERUNER
3rd Gear

some reason didnt show i have message how much did you want for the software progrsm

Quick Reply: Carplay icons - too big in relation to overall dash?