Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   Auto-blip Rev Match What The? (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1393688-auto-blip-rev-match-what-the.html)

gthal 02-04-2024 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fishah (Post 19259999)
With the auto rev match, you have to release the clutch very quickly after it revs... Otherwise the revs fall back down and it was wasted.

This...

The benefit of auto rev matching is you shift quickly and the car ensures it is butter smooth. Clutch in, shift, clutch out. No feathering, babying or slow playing anything. It's flawless.

AlterZgo 02-04-2024 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fredeee (Post 19259771)
Wonderful. I’ve been driving a manual wrong for decades and it takes a $200k+ car to be awakened to the right way :). Time to relearn. I ask for patience but there’s such great info here I think I’ll nail it with some clarification. The auto-blip feels strange because the engine revs when I engage the lower gear BEFORE I pull off the clutch. It’s been a while manual driving a sports car, my other stick is a ‘14 Jeep Wrangler with 37 inch tires and lifted 6” so not much to go on. Can someone please outline the proper steps to shift on a 911 in Sport/Sport+ with auto-blip on? My current process driving along in 4th and wish to downshift to 3rd:
- clutch in
- shift from 4th to 3rd gear
- feather clutch and gas to smooth out shift to 3rd

Easy peezy. Now the right way?

- clutch in
- rev engine quickly (tap the gas)
- shift from 4th to 3rd gear
- clutch out

Can’t thank you all enough for the guidance.

As others have said, with rev match on, you should quickly release the clutch on downshifts as soon as the lower gear is engaged. It will be seamless and smooth b/c the revs are perfectly matched.

Now if you really want to enjoy the old school manual experience, turn off the auto rev match (either turn it off with the button if you have a GTS or turn traction control completely off if you don't or drive it in normal mode) then when you are downshifting, as you move the shifter from the higher gear to the lower gear, simultaeously blip the throttle then quickly release the clutch when the lower gear is fully engaged. If you blipped the throttle properly, you will have a smooth, seamless downshift like if you used auto rev match except you did it yourself. It's one of the funnest things to learn how to do when driving a manual car.

On the 992, I personally don't like the normal mode throttle sensitivity so I usually set the car to sport mode, then turn traction control fully off to disable the auto rev match. Sport or sport plus throttle sensitivity feels the best to me when I want to manually rev match.

rk-d 02-04-2024 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut (Post 19260011)
Keep in mind it's for track use, so think 'fast'. Clutch in, shift, clutch out, no more than a half second from clutch in to clutch out.

Not just for track. I'd argue using it all the time. Heel toe, I'd agree is really most relevant for track. I'll do it on the street just for fun but it's not usually necessary. But a simple downshift always gets rev matched.

Like others said, clutch in, shift/blip, clutch out.

Getting the revs where they need to be takes practice to get a feel for the throttle - knowing how far and hard to stab it so that you get the revs in range. Obviously every gear is a little different in how you stab the throttle.

Einmalig 02-04-2024 11:28 PM

I have rev matching on my 992 GT3 and to me it adds yet another level of artificiality and filtering to a car that already feels too big and overly refined when compared to older more mechanical 911 models. I deselected the feature in my PCM to defeat it every time I select either sport or track mode.

I learned to heel and toe downshift 30 years ago, but seldom use it on the street, simply because I’m not typically braking from speeds that necessitate progressively shifting down through the gears. If I were driving on a track, I’d heel and toe instinctively in each corner to match the engine and wheel speeds. It’s nice that our cars have it for those who want it and even nicer that it can be turned off for those who don’t.

BillyX 02-05-2024 01:20 PM

My second car was a Spitfire and didn't have synchromesh in 1st gear. It was a manditory double-clutch to go from 2nd to 1st. At a stop sign in neutral you had to engage the synchromesh in 2nd before shifting into 1st to prevent a loud gearbox clunk. Muscle memory is hard to kick so I still pull the shifter into 2nd at a stop. I love auto-blip.