Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving PCCB vs. reg brakes- can you feel a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 11:24 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftLane50mph
In my experience, PCCB has significantly worse stopping distance when rotors are cold (when near freezing outside).

When warmed up, stopping distance on the street is about the same as regular/steel.

On HPDE track sessions with multiple braking from 130 mph to 40 mph (PCCBs should be superior in this use case), I am unable to tell the difference. Maybe if the session was 1 hour, I’d experience brake fade on steel, but I’m just a casual California Porsche owner and not a hardcore track guy.

But hey, the calipers/rotors look cool and produce no brake dust. Is that worth $9k? Up to you.
I went 991.2 GTS PCCB ---> M2 Competition ----> 992 GTS PCCB

Went from no dust to literally the brake dustiest car that ever existed. it was a MUST 9k, 90k....
Old 01-06-2024, 11:28 AM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftLane50mph

But hey, the calipers/rotors look cool and produce no brake dust. Is that worth $9k? Up to you.
yup
Old 01-06-2024, 11:37 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

I don’t think I could tell the difference. As outlined above the main benefits in my opinion, for the carbon brakes are the lack of dust and the reduced wear.

that being said, I’ve had seven or eight Porsches, and never done brakes ever on any of them. Of course I don’t track my car but I do drive them.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:43 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
I went 991.2 GTS PCCB ---> M2 Competition ----> 992 GTS PCCB

Went from no dust to literally the brake dustiest car that ever existed. it was a MUST 9k, 90k....
Interesting. M2 Comp with ceramics? My M2 Comp was dusty as hell.

992 PCCBs are dustier than 991.2, I can verify. The old ones were completely dust free.

New PCCBs are still less dusty than iron, just not as good as the old ones.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:04 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

BMW brakes are known to be the dustiest mother****ers around. It's honestly appalling.

Anyways, largely agreed that while the pedal may feel different, the practical difference in stopping power even on most tracks in a 20-minute session is negligible at best and probably imperceptible. The unsprung mass, on the other hand, is probably very noticeable but I haven't driven a car with the standard brakes back-to-back to compare. I imagine there is more grip/performance available with the reduced weigh that a skilled driver would eke out, but even a less skilled driver would probably notice a difference in steering feel and behavior over uneven pavement on a track with PCCBs.

Last edited by zachr; 01-06-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:15 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in your experiences. I learned a lot from hearing what you've all experienced with it. I'd love to try PCCB one day and see how it feels.

With that said, I wonder if a lot of new buyers just click PCCB assuming it's better. Based on what I gathered from reading above (and pending lack of person experience w/ trying PCCB), I almost feel I would never order PCCB. I predominantly drive city and occasionally drive highway. I would hate to have to drive and to remember to "warm" up the brakes. I just want to step on it and have it work when I need it. Don't see any big advantages and wonder why everyone goes for PCCB.

I'm so curious whether many new buyers even know what they are getting themselves into with PCCB. Bc despite being able to regurgitate every spec option this knowledge I did not have despite being an owner for almost a year.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:19 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I would never order another car without PCCBs if they were available.

ordered a 992 T. Only thing I wish it had was PCCBs. Will miss those when I trade the TTS in.
The following 2 users liked this post by wintershade:
HOTCHKIS (01-09-2024), Just J (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 02:51 AM
Grimz
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid

I almost feel I would never order PCCB. I predominantly drive city and occasionally drive highway.
May the Porsche god forgive you for ordering a Porsche to drive mainly in cities
I truly hope you hit some nice slopes or country roads once in a while…
Old 01-09-2024, 04:55 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 777 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in your experiences. I learned a lot from hearing what you've all experienced with it. I'd love to try PCCB one day and see how it feels.

With that said, I wonder if a lot of new buyers just click PCCB assuming it's better. Based on what I gathered from reading above (and pending lack of person experience w/ trying PCCB), I almost feel I would never order PCCB. I predominantly drive city and occasionally drive highway. I would hate to have to drive and to remember to "warm" up the brakes. I just want to step on it and have it work when I need it. Don't see any big advantages and wonder why everyone goes for PCCB.

I'm so curious whether many new buyers even know what they are getting themselves into with PCCB. Bc despite being able to regurgitate every spec option this knowledge I did not have despite being an owner for almost a year.
You do not need to warm up the brakes before using them. Maybe older systems. Mine work right from the get go and I have been in the low teens and 20s. To each their own but I will not personally spec irons again.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:06 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

+1 to @dixonk. the only real downsides to PCCBs are:
1. initial cost
2. replacement cost, if you track and actually wear the rotors. on the street they will last ages though.

If it's not a money issue I'll always get CCBs for the brake dust alone. Washing wheels is the worst.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
dixonk (01-09-2024), HOTCHKIS (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:13 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zachr
+1 to @dixonk. the only real downsides to PCCBs are:
1. initial cost
2. replacement cost, if you track and actually wear the rotors. on the street they will last ages though.

If it's not a money issue I'll always get CCBs for the brake dust alone. Washing wheels is the worst.
Not going to lie this is by far my favorite aspect. My wheels are squeaky clean always. Together with ceramic coating I don’t need to do anything special for wheel cleaning. Regular soap only.
HOTCHKIS (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:00 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't understand the brake dust argument, why spend 9K when I can have a guy come over and detail my car for $75 whenever I want?
Old 01-09-2024, 11:03 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenTO
I don't understand the brake dust argument, why spend 9K when I can have a guy come over and detail my car for $75 whenever I want?
I prefer to wash my own cars. Plus even if your $75 guy cleaned your car, 5 blocks down the road and your wheels will look like he never touched them.
zachr (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:05 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenTO
Sounds like a lot of hassle when I could just have wheels that are never dirty in the first place

I prefer washing my own car anyways. Just not the wheels.
dixonk (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:15 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 116 Posts

Some of us want to match the color scheme. Yellow looks great (esp on carmine, look at the press GTS cars). They just look fantastic. I'm not concerned with fade, track etc as the cars have so much capability that I will never use to its fullest.

Quick Reply: Daily driving PCCB vs. reg brakes- can you feel a difference?