Surrendered on allocation game / SE Florida Dealership Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 01:45 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,786 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
@detansinn FL doesn't "blow goats for car enthusiasts" at all. I live here and am a very happy, comfy car enthusiast. It might not be great for DRIVING enthusiasts, however we can DRIVE to some great spots (GA, Carolinas, etc.) that have great driving areas. Each state has some very cool spots to drive, like to the Keys and back, top down, tunes up, having a blast, even if you have some extra goat *** sweat because it is warm. FL could be better and isn't amazing for a driving experience, but hey, every single minute I am driving I am happy! Doesn't matter really where, whatever opportunity I have presented to me is a gift.
Less than 2 miles from my house, I'm away from traffic and have access to a wide range of twisty two lane roads that I can take all the way up into the mountains (or the Appalachian equivalent thereof). Having to drive out of the state doesn't make Florida blow goats any less. Heck, I can drive to the Carolinas too. I can also be in West Virginia or New England in a matter of hours. Not as great as California, but entirely serviceable.

Agreed, if your definition of being a "car enthusiast" is staring at your car parked and/or driving on straight flat roads, Florida is entirely adequate.😜

I am just glad that you’re having fun. Have a great holiday!

Last edited by detansinn; 12-24-2023 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Freddie Two Bs (12-24-2023), PHX (12-26-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 01:52 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Bought two brand new 992s out of state. Dealers could have cared less, said they were trying to do more out of state commerce.
When there are excess cars around (which was the case until mid 2020) they will sell to anyone, however when they can sell all the cars they are getting locally there is no reason to sell cars out of market unless it is with an ADM that local customers will reject. At some point things will change again, and the dealers in smaller markets will be happy to sell out of market because they can't sell all of their allocations locally.

Last edited by malba2366; 12-24-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:35 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 621 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Less than 2 miles from my house, I'm away from traffic and have access to a wide range of twisty two lane roads that I can take all the way up into the mountains (or the Appalachian equivalent thereof). Having to drive out of the state doesn't make Florida blow goats any less. Heck, I can drive to the Carolinas too. I can also be in West Virginia or New England in a matter of hours. Not as great as California, but entirely serviceable.

Agreed, if your definition of being a "car enthusiast" is staring at your car parked and/or driving on straight flat roads, Florida is entirely adequate.😜

We have tracks here . Some of those straight and flat roads are near empty and endless . Plus the car doesn't have to hibernate in the cold or with pot holes . Whatever curves Miami may lack on the streets is made up by the beautiful women. Its partly cloudy and 77 degrees here today and the mere fact that I can walk out with shorts and a T shirt for a drive is enough to put a smile on those miles driven .
The following 6 users liked this post by yrralis1:
defiant2 (12-24-2023), division (12-24-2023), fxmixer (12-28-2023), HOTCHKIS (12-24-2023), PHX (12-26-2023), TimD (12-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-24-2023, 03:04 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
When there are excess cars around (which was the case until mid 2020) they will sell to anyone, however when they can sell all the cars they are getting locally there is no reason to sell cars out of market unless it is with an ADM that local customers will reject. At some point things will change again, and the dealers in smaller markets will be happy to sell out of market because they can't sell all of their allocations locally.
oh okay thanks for clarifying……
Old 12-25-2023, 01:17 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
@detansinn FL doesn't "blow goats for car enthusiasts" at all. I live here and am a very happy, comfy car enthusiast. It might not be great for DRIVING enthusiasts, however we can DRIVE to some great spots (GA, Carolinas, etc.) that have great driving areas. Each state has some very cool spots to drive, like to the Keys and back, top down, tunes up, having a blast, even if you have some extra goat *** sweat because it is warm. FL could be better and isn't amazing for a driving experience, but hey, every single minute I am driving I am happy! Doesn't matter really where, whatever opportunity I have presented to me is a gift.

Porsche Naples is an amazing store, although I did not purchase a new 911 there and we bought CPO'ed. Porsche Ft Myers was pretty good with our new 911 purchase when we ordered from there. Yes, it was a poverty spec base cabriolet, however they were not pushy, ADM-ish, or add-on pushy. I don't know about know though. I know this is on the left coast, however you might, OP, have some luck over here if you are still sniffing around the ordering process. As others have said, CPO is a great and amazing way to go, plus it is actually a more interesting way to "shop" for a car, trying to filter though all the available options, colors, etc from the available ones across the country.
The area sounds great. The roads around the area sound great. The USA sounds great BUT…none of this negates the **** that guys your side of the pond have to put up with when it comes to actually purchasing the car: ADM…wait…buy a $200 watch for 10K…wait even longer…🙄

IMO the OP is right not to bother

Last edited by BondJ; 12-25-2023 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 02:42 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
none of this negates the **** that guys your side of the pond have to put up with when it comes to actually purchasing the car: ADM…wait…buy a $200 watch for 10K…wait even longer…🙄
How does it work in the UK, when there's more demand than supply? All at MSRP, strictly in order of who got on a list first?
Old 12-25-2023, 03:04 PM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by Freddie Two Bs
How does it work in the UK, when there's more demand than supply? All at MSRP, strictly in order of who got on a list first?
In the UK charging ADM is illegal. There are a certain number of allocations to dealers for a particular model in a specific time frame. Dealers will have their regular, favoured customers who will go to the top of their list for whatever model they order. But, if you lay down enough deposit to prove you’re serious (IMO perfectly reasonable), you’ll get the car…without buying a crap watch. To be clear, I’m not criticising those who choose to pay ADM, just supporting those who won’t
Freddie Two Bs (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 06:14 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

In the UK charging ADM is illegal. There are a certain number of allocations to dealers for a particular model in a specific time frame. Dealers will have their regular, favoured customers who will go to the top of their list for whatever model they order. But, if you lay down enough deposit to prove you’re serious (IMO perfectly reasonable), you’ll get the car…without buying a crap watch. To be clear, I’m not criticising those who choose to pay ADM, just supporting those who won’t
How’s the 2nd market in uk? Does it look like often the dealer and vip/preferred buyer take the car, list it 2-3 months later and split the profits?
Old 12-25-2023, 07:54 PM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3
How’s the 2nd market in uk? Does it look like often the dealer and vip/preferred buyer take the car, list it 2-3 months later and split the profits?
I’m not daft enough to believe that flipping can’t happen but…in the UK the car will have to be registered by the purchaser and subject to VAT. This makes it a pre-owned car, so more expensive to sell on
Old 12-25-2023, 09:13 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

I’m not daft enough to believe that flipping can’t happen but…in the UK the car will have to be registered by the purchaser and subject to VAT. This makes it a pre-owned car, so more expensive to sell on
ahh ok. I wasn’t trying to be a dick like most of Rennlist. Was genuine question. I’ve noticed about 20+ Dakars for sale 2nd market in Europe, some in uk, so was curious.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:12 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 625 Likes on 404 Posts

Get the beer cold, I'm coming up for a visit!! LOL

Cheers!
detansinn (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:19 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I guess the question is--how much of an ADM are you willing to pay to jump up the list? Sad that it has to come down to that in your area.
Not just in that area of US- many US dealers treat their prime cars as an auction house; i.e. no loyalty to previous customers- just let them go to the highest bidder. Right? Basically an auction house with a Porsche logo on the outside of the damn building.
Old 12-27-2023, 01:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 404 Posts

Yeah, Florida blows goats for car enthusiasts. There are no good roads there. In many places, the only way that you’re going to enjoy curves are the highway interchanges. That’s not even addressing how it is miserably hot in the warm months. I spent a few years in Miami and the only reason to bother with something nice is for the flex, which has never been a motivator for me. I’m sure that someone is going to weigh in about that one road that they know somewhere, but even places like Ohio are the land of twisties compared to Florida.

There are so many threads whining about allocations…
  • If you want a new 911 in your spec, paying a modest ADM like $5k isn’t a big deal and it’s the current market.
  • If you have a modern 911 to trade in, that’s likely going to bump you up in line and right now, you will be paying no ADM in most markets.
  • Your “place in line” without an allocation means nothing. Everyone gets to cut ahead of you… existing customers, people willing to throw down ADM, VIPs, and heck, even new clients with clear long term potential.
  • If you want to further marginalize your position in line and move all the way to the back, insist on “not a dime” over MSRP. That position, completely ignoring the market and who you’re competing with, is the equivalent of being number 42 on the first class standby list, ie not happening. Paying a mere $5k ADM can get you a car. Waiting for MSRP or discounting will cost you years.
  • The GTS is the sweet spot… and by sweet spot, I mean the intersection of crushed hopes and disillusionment. There are more people fighting for GTS allocations than anything else. Stop to trying to buy the new 911 that everyone else wants to buy. Sure, it’s a nice trim level, but at the end of the day, it’s still just a Carrera. It’s hilarious to see you all fight over them. It’s much easier to get an allocation for a T (and nearly every other Carrera) than the GTS.
  • Build a relationship with a local/local-ish dealer and SA. Be a customer with service potential and a long-tail of current/future business. I know that some people scoff at this and maybe it’s a generational thing, but it has served me well and I like spending money with people who I know and like.
Bravo..so agree...for certain vehicles and in certain markets this should be a sticky to read and thus act accordingly. There is a want and a need and there are also perfect and then the good enough and sometimes it seems buyers are stuck on stupid or perfect and fail to understand the environment they are operating in. Without clear SA=situation awareness of both market, dealer, vehicle, etc then acquisition of these cars can be almost impossible in some of these cases esp when buyers are not willing to flex and accommodate it all.

I have a friend (former 997 owner) who wants to get back into the P-car ownership but is aghast at the cost and difficulty getting a car...the changing market, ADMs, and waiting line/periods have him just pained. He has been offered a Carrera T at least twice in the last 6-12 mos w/ADM at $10k and $15k respectively. He declined each as it put the car too much above what he wanted to spend and did on his 997 he said. Fast forward he just got his local dealer call on a Carrera T at $2500 + MSRP, $5k deposit NOW for a $144k build with a summer/Fall delivery date. Yet...he's still at pause due to the cost of acquisition..and most likely the Macan T he got his spouse earlier last Spring also. Still he thinks the dealer and process with Porsche is wrong somehow compared to his previous ownership. My advice to him is the deal is the deal...its not 2009 when he last had a 997 and the cars have changed significantly as have the market. So if he wants a spec'd car (he absolutely is crazed about the car MUST have Carbon Bucket seats) then that is where we are. Unfortunate but reality and he's lucky to have found a local allocation as many guys in the Carrera T forum have been waiting for cars for over 12 mos since announced!
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Guys! There’s this thing called the Internet that makes every dealer your dealership! Do NOT limit yourself to what’s local. Buy the car from a dealer in the middle of nowhere that has allocations but no 911 customers. Purchasing the PEC Delivery option can sometimes be a nice way to take a relatively local delivery. I myself will fly and drive up to ~500 miles and that usually makes getting the right car (or motorcycle) at the right price. You will need to spend some quality time on the internet tracking down the websites for all the dealers you’d consider, but it pays quite well to do this.
Agree I'll go coast to coast to get the car if the deal is right and the car is what I want. The internet makes this easy and most dealers have an Internet Sales Dept who respond within 24hrs it seems to inquiries...great place to start OP.
Originally Posted by nyca
PCNA doesn't allow dealers to do out of region sales, that's been closed off for a while now. And even these "middle of nowhere" dealers have no cars either. Unless you are willing to pay ADMs of some form, realistically you aren't getting a car. And the economy is being reflated now in 2024 with interest rate cuts and a juiced stock market again, so any macro economic factors that might have led to a dip in demand, that's all over now.
Not so....I've seen a few offer to sell out of state when asked. No problem...and there are ways to take local delivery and then 'move" the car to your home of residence easily enough. Bought an 2015 Cayenne in Scotsdale AZ and shipped it to WA from dealership easily enough with shipping paid for by me and a Bill of Lading to the dealer. Just one document to sign saying vehicle was NOT being registered in the State of AZ which dealer was really insistent on getting signed for Sales Tax purposes to protect them as they were not collected and WA waived sales tax for me as military buying out of state at that time!
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
PCNA can't stop it. The only caveat is that the buyer and the dealer have to: Complete the paperwork, and transfer funds, in person, at that dealer. There are also other ways to work around this sort of corporate nonsensical rules an edicts.
PCNA cannot legally stop it and often don't have a way to fully track it...as they don't know where the car is registered I don't think once sold. Mostly though its a local dealer thing and repeat business and service I've been told although some say PCNA does look and doesn't want their cars flipped all across dealerships in the lower 48 states!
Originally Posted by malba2366
They can't stop it, but they do penalize the selling dealer for selling out of market by reallocating credit of the sale to the customers in market dealers for the purpose of determining future allocations. A significant ADM may change the equation, but at the moment getting a car out of market at MSRP is not going to be an easy task.
Yes that is true but also dependant on the dealer....for example I was in search of a Cayenne Coupe recently in Sept and had put my deposit down with local dealer to wait in line with maybe hope of getting a car in 2024. Decided to call around and found 10 allocations immediately in 20 emails to dealers I had either bought with before or lived in those areas and knew them well and one of two other larger areas. Of those some did decline to offer me their available allocation once I told them I was out of state but still at least 5 cars were offered to me as an out of state buyer and at only 2 asked for ADM like stuff (lo-jack and ceramic packages, etc) so yes seek and you WILL find.

Here's an interesting link I saw...some ways I'd say possibly so!
detansinn (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 07:07 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 794 Likes on 442 Posts

I just don't see anyone posting here that they are getting allocations from "flyover state" dealers, where supply of them are plentiful. Sure maybe technically you can do it, but that isn't viable for most people who can't get allocations.

Quick Reply: Surrendered on allocation game / SE Florida Dealership Reviews