Sponsored by:

iPE cat-back + Cargraphic impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 09:51 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 367 Posts
Default iPE cat-back + Cargraphic impressions

Perhaps something we can all agree on? The 992 Carrera in all its variants is a special car albeit with a stock exhaust tone that could use some help. If you feel the same and like me wanted a change, you've probably spent a considerable amount of time combing this forum, listening to the Flat6 exhaust reviews a time or a hundred and exhausted google searches and YouTube in an effort to understand if and which exhaust would suit your needs. After doing just this, the Flat6 Black Friday sale finally got me off the sidelines and I jumped at the iPE stainless valved to try on my 2023 GTS (THANKS to Flat6 for the effort put in to your reviews; I sure was happy to be able to reward you with the business). Rather than posting more audio files for you to review (Tobeit on this forum has the same setup and already posted some great audio clips), I thought I'd try to to the best job I could explaining my goals, choice and what my early observations are.

Goal
I liked the PSE system but found it just a bit pedestrian for my preferences. I wanted the ability to slink out of the hood on my early morning coffee runs but wanted it to sound the part on it's way there and back. What pushed me to the iPE was Jon's cliff notes on the iPE that said it has one of the best divergence in sounds. Weight savings, dyno improvements and looks were all a distant tertiary goal.

Choice
My approach was to do that which is least invasive first (cargraphic) and then go exhaust if that wasn't enough. Well, while a big improvement over stock, the Cargraphic (at least for me) primarily helped lower RPM volume and tone. From there, is was both Jon's description and the sale that got me off the sidelines (at less than $2000 for the pipes what the heck).

Results
SUPER pleased! With this set-up (as Tobeit noted) you essentially have the ability to run 3 levels. Normal mode with valves closed, Sport/Sport+ with PSE and Cargraphic valves fully open for the most rowdy. First, cold start up in Normal mode is much deeper and sportier but not loud enough to cause issues - in fact it may be no louder than stock just a much deeper, sportier tone. Frankly, I find normal mode with (PSE off) to be a very nice tone and volume for everyday and a decided improvement over stock. Cold start with Cargraphic valves open will definately turn heads. Cargraphic open with spirtited driving will put a big smiles on faces for those looking to make the 992 sound more like a sportscar. To my ear this system delivers an amplified, deeper growl than PSE and some other titanium/iconel systems I've heard. I like it so much I had a hard time heading home after picking it up from the dealer.

So if you are looking for a much sportier system with some stealth ability, this could be a good pick for you. If enough folks want and think some audio uploads would help I'd be happy to add that on later. Also, I'm in SW Florida so if you are in the area and want to hear it firsthand I'll do what I can to accommodate. Again, THANKS to Flat6 for the reviews and great sale!

PS - I asked the tech how challenging the fitment was and he said it slipped in w/o a hitch. No need to remove the rear bumper.

Last edited by Vicbastige; 12-04-2023 at 11:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
alim24 (12-05-2023), Aperture776 (01-29-2024), Gus. (01-29-2024), Tobeit (01-29-2024)
Old 12-05-2023, 01:09 AM
alim24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Would definitely appreciate audio clips/video
The following users liked this post:
Gus. (01-29-2024)
Old 12-05-2023, 02:16 AM
bayarea_sb911GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alim24
Would definitely appreciate audio clips/video
+1 - would love to hear the clips as well
Old 12-06-2023, 01:51 PM
fishpigkb
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Vic, can you link the Tobeit posts with video/audio or the videos themselves? I've searched and he posts quite a bit so finding them would take awhile.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:43 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1253...l#post18942090

It's in this thread.

Also, I'm away but will record and post some files here when I get home. I like my choice more and more each drive; it really does change things dramatically from PSE and still allows me a non-a$$hole option if I want/need it. $3100 installed aint bad either.

Last edited by Vicbastige; 12-06-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Tobeit (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 05:27 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Finally took a video of the car. Stainless iPE w/ Cargraphic, stock cats. Listening with buds gives a much better idea of the results over a phone or laptop speaker and (obviously) the best results are when the car is in full flight, but that's hard to record adequately.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
cassdesigns (05-27-2024), TK42ONE (01-29-2024), Tobeit (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 06:51 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

How did you get the cargraphics to run three levels? I thought it can only do fully open, fully closed or fully open and PSE setting. Is Cargraphics the only brand that can also fullly close the valves during cold starts (mine is VERY loud)?
BTW - I had the IPE Titanium with Soul's 200 Cell Cat for a while now and it's glorious. I did have a valve controller (forgot the brand) but it was TOO loud when fully open so had to sell it. May go back to it or get a tune + fully closed and open ability.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:58 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
How did you get the cargraphics to run three levels? I thought it can only do fully open, fully closed or fully open and PSE setting. Is Cargraphics the only brand that can also fullly close the valves during cold starts (mine is VERY loud)?
BTW - I had the IPE Titanium with Soul's 200 Cell Cat for a while now and it's glorious. I did have a valve controller (forgot the brand) but it was TOO loud when fully open so had to sell it. May go back to it or get a tune + fully closed and open ability.
I didn't. What you hear is start up valves closed with some easy revs. Then valves open and some easy revs, then back to valves closed at the end of the clip.

I think everybody understands this, but the sound in person is much better than any recording can capture and that goes for every version of exhaust out there. The recordings help to make a choice if only a little.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for the review

When you say iPE, which product in particular are you referring to from here:
https://flat6motorsports.com/collections/ipe-exhaust
Old 01-29-2024, 08:34 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
I didn't. What you hear is start up valves closed with some easy revs. Then valves open and some easy revs, then back to valves closed at the end of the clip.

I think everybody understands this, but the sound in person is much better than any recording can capture and that goes for every version of exhaust out there. The recordings help to make a choice if only a little.

When it’s closed n cold start is it 100% closed or 90% closed? From factory it is only partially closed during cold start.
itrocks4u (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:14 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Thanks for the review

When you say iPE, which product in particular are you referring to from here:
https://flat6motorsports.com/collections/ipe-exhaust
I think he means the one that says Exhaust for a 992 Carrera because that’s what he has. He also said catback on the title.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:06 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

I think he means the one that says Exhaust for a 992 Carrera because that’s what he has. He also said catback on the title.
This.

Regarding my valve positioning, not sure if it is 100% closed at start, but I assumed so. Tomorrow I'll look to confirm one way or the other. what I can report is cold start/valves closed is louder than PSE cold start, but nowhere near an issue for neighbors. It sounds deeper, sportier and somewhat louder. Valves open cold start is a next level fun.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:28 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

After re-reading my original post, I think I better understand your question. The three potential levels are 1) Cargraphic valves closed in "normal" setting on the dial, 2) "sport or sport+" setting with Cargraphic still "closed" which functions as if Cargraphic isn't there meaning it functions as original PSE, that is partial open at lower RPM and full open at higher RPM and 3) Cargraphic valves 100% open all the time.
Purekoryo (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Sounds good. Vic, if you know, what is weight difference between OEM exhaust system and your IPE stainless system?
Old 01-30-2024, 09:05 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Sounds good. Vic, if you know, what is weight difference between OEM exhaust system and your IPE stainless system?
I’m not sure if they post one for SS. But for my Ti IPE it saved 17 lbs which is t a whole lot but stock PSE doesn’t weigh that much to begin with since it’s there’s not a lot of piping. For example I remember saving almost 60 lbs when I switched to a Ti full exhaust on my previous G80 M3.

Quick Reply: iPE cat-back + Cargraphic impressions