Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which car is a stiffer ride, GTS or Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 10:18 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Which car is a stiffer ride, GTS or Turbo S?

Which car is more engaging to drive? I've only driven a GTS. Anyone driven both? Seen some reviews online but wanted some other thoughts?

It seems like the GTS should feel more "connected". Turbo S also has PDCC standard so wondering if its more of a comfortable ride.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:34 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

What does stiffer have to do with that? You can get SPASM (10mm lower suspension) with the 992 Turbo S.

As for engaging? The GTS has less soundproofing and you can get it with a manual transmission — two things that people associate with engagement.

With that, the power delivery of the Turbo S is a different experience thanks to the increased displacement and the way that the variable geometry turbos come on. It’s going to feel faster than the GTS basically everywhere — that’s a different kind of engagement. You can’t make a Carrera feel like the Turbo.

The Carreras (like the GTS) and the TT/TTS cars serve different markets, delivering distinct experiences.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (11-18-2023), docmd2010 (11-18-2023), doug_999 (11-19-2023), PG5768 (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:48 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm curious to this question too. I've never driven a turbo or turbo S.

I presume OP is asking about ride quality. Comparing S to GTS I'd say there is a stiffer ride quality in the GTS. Is this true going up to Turbo S? E.g. a Turbo S rides even stiffer than a GTS?
I guess it may come down to helper spring rates but I'm not sure what those numbers are for Turbo S. I know GTS numbers are about 2x that of S (even when comparing apple to apples for S and GTS both spec'd w/ -10mm) hence the stiffer ride
Old 11-19-2023, 12:01 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

The answer is: it depends how each is specced.

The GTS comes standard with the same S-PASM that is optional on the TT-S
GTS on its standard S-PASM is more stiffly sprung than the TT-S on its standard PASM.
TT-S on its standard PASM is more stiffly sprung than a GTS on its optional PASM
TT-S on its optional S-PASM is more stiffly sprung that the GTS on its optional PASM

PDCC will indeed make the ride more compliant through softer anti roll bars.

For reference, I’ve driven a MT GTS with LW package, a PDK 4-GTS loaded with options and my own turbo. All three were specced with S-PASM and RAS, but only the 4-GTS had PDCC. I’d say from a pure driving perspective, the “most engaging to drive” was the MT GTS LW by a small margin, being the lightest and boomiest with the CF bucket seats communicating more directly chassis movements and vibrations. It however lacked the excitement from the sheer power delivery of the turbo (not even a TT-S) and the rear end did not feel as planted, even with 100 less hp. While it was “more engaging”, I am not sure I would want it as a daily driver. However, while not for my use case, I’d be curious to try a Lightweight pack turbo or turbo-S. The 4-GTS felt the least engaging of the three to me.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-19-2023 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PhilH930 (05-17-2024)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:05 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I'm curious to this question too. I've never driven a turbo or turbo S.

I presume OP is asking about ride quality. Comparing S to GTS I'd say there is a stiffer ride quality in the GTS. Is this true going up to Turbo S? E.g. a Turbo S rides even stiffer than a GTS?
I guess it may come down to helper spring rates but I'm not sure what those numbers are for Turbo S. I know GTS numbers are about 2x that of S (even when comparing apple to apples for S and GTS both spec'd w/ -10mm) hence the stiffer ride
Helper springs by themselves do not alter handling nor ride stiffness. Helper springs are required when shorter and stiffer main springs are installed to prevent the main springs to become unladen at full extension. It is the shorter and stiffer main springs that provided the improved handling.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:17 AM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

My experience I had a 2019 991.2 GTS 2wd coupe and now have a 2024 Turbo S. The Turbos S has PDCC and the GTS did not. The Turbo S is a much better ride, no comparison. Much quieter and much more refined. But honestly the GTS was a great car. I'm now a huge Turbo S fan and the many thousands more I spent was worth every penny. Best of luck, you can't go wrong with either.
The following users liked this post:
Rikidosan (05-17-2024)
Old 11-19-2023, 01:24 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The answer is: it depends how each is specced.

The GTS comes standard with the same S-PASM that is optional on the TT-S
GTS on its standard S-PASM is more stiffly sprung than the TT-S on its standard PASM.
TT-S on its standard PASM is more stiffly sprung than a GTS on its optional PASM
TT-S on its optional S-PASM is more stiffly sprung that the GTS on its optional PASM

PDCC will indeed make the ride more compliant through softer anti roll bars.

For reference, I’ve driven a MT GTS with LW package, a PDK 4-GTS loaded with options and my own turbo. All three were specced with S-PASM and RAS, but only the 4-GTS had PDCC. I’d say from a pure driving perspective, the “most engaging to drive” was the MT GTS LW by a small margin, being the lightest and boomiest with the CF bucket seats communicating more directly chassis movements and vibrations. It however lacked the excitement from the sheer power delivery of the turbo (not even a TT-S) and the rear end did not feel as planted, even with 100 less hp. While it was “more engaging”, I am not sure I would want it as a daily driver. However, while not for my use case, I’d be curious to try a Lightweight pack turbo or turbo-S. The 4-GTS felt the least engaging of the three to me.
Thanks! This got a little confusing.

For sake of ease let's compare apples to apples.

I spec'd my S w/ SPASM, which as far as I know is the stiffest option.

Is it fair to assume Turbo S in the stiffest option is more stiff than GTS in it's stiffest option?
Or are they equivalent?

Because GTS in it's stiffest option is stiffer than S in it's stiffest option.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:23 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
Thanks! This got a little confusing.

For sake of ease let's compare apples to apples.

I spec'd my S w/ SPASM, which as far as I know is the stiffest option.

Is it fair to assume Turbo S in the stiffest option is more stiff than GTS in it's stiffest option?
Or are they equivalent?

Because GTS in it's stiffest option is stiffer than S in it's stiffest option.
Comparing S-PASM spring rates (the stiffest option) for all variants:

GTS and TT-S are ~25% stiffer than the -S
The GTS is the same as the TT-S

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-19-2023 at 01:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
Grimz (11-19-2023), Master Deep (05-18-2024), TimD (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 08:20 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

I had a 992 GTS and now a 992 Turbo S with the lightweight package. Sound and ride are very similar. I can feel the AWD drive in the Turbo S which I actually prefer the RWD. Turbo S is like a GTS on steroids. Speed comes on fast, and the torque is crazy. Sorry that I cannot get as technical as the others, just my observations.
The following 4 users liked this post by ENCT:
CanAutM3 (11-19-2023), detansinn (11-19-2023), docmd2010 (11-19-2023), johnohara (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 11:21 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 116 Posts

The 992 GTS is much stiffer than my 991 GTS with PDCC. I attribute that to spring rate and the 21" wheels. Also the roads here in Cincinnati SUCK so overall its an unpleasant driving experience.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:00 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Here you go!
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackBeauty:
Master Deep (05-18-2024), Triathlonkid (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 06:08 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Tires will also make a big difference. Sadly, I lost the tire lottery and my car came with Goodyears which were an engineering first. The tires look round and appear as if they’re made of various synthetic rubber compounds, but in actuality they’re square concrete blocks. I switched to Michelins and they’re a much more compliant ride - nylon belts vs. rebar.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:48 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty

Here you go!
Yep, TTS with the optional SPASM is the same as the GTS.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:11 AM
Rikidosan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
My experience I had a 2019 991.2 GTS 2wd coupe and now have a 2024 Turbo S. The Turbos S has PDCC and the GTS did not. The Turbo S is a much better ride, no comparison. Much quieter and much more refined. But honestly the GTS was a great car. I'm now a huge Turbo S fan and the many thousands more I spent was worth every penny. Best of luck, you can't go wrong with either.
I have been driving a 992 Turbo S for a few years now, and I came from a 991.2 Carrera T before that
To be honest, I miss some of the rawness and playfulness
Currently I am actually considering going from the Turbo to a 991.2 GTS
Since you have driven both, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts
Old 05-17-2024, 03:27 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Helper springs by themselves do not alter handling nor ride stiffness. Helper springs are required when shorter and stiffer main springs are installed to prevent the main springs to become unladen at full extension. It is the shorter and stiffer main springs that provided the improved handling.
From that description one infers that the helper springs would more likely come in to play on Turbos because of the added weight of the bigger motor.

Quick Reply: Which car is a stiffer ride, GTS or Turbo S?