Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS - Do aftermarket parts change the experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 08:38 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Akrapovic exhaust transformed the Cabrio experience for me…

looks good!
Old 11-23-2023, 09:24 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Haros
I’ve had really good experiences with COBB for its fuel tune, it’s quite mild in power gains as it’s simply several maps for different fuels.

But otherwise I agree with you, lots of shady tunes pushing limits without the supporting mods or dyno time is asking for some trouble.
The stuff I have seen....I have trust issues. Nobody works on or tunes my cars but me.

That being said, COBB is a company I have been familiar with for a very long time, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their tunes.

Last edited by Mike818; 11-23-2023 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:10 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm currently in my early 40's. In my teens to late 30's, I modded every car, but mostly for power. However, in my mid-late 30's I noticed how boring it was having too much power on the street; only 2-3 seconds of joy in acceleration. I quickly found that chassis / suspension / steering feel was much more enjoyable, satiating, and wholesome. That's why the only "major" mod I currently have on my 992 S is Ohlins, lighter wheels, and semi track wheel alignment. I will say that there is less of a difference when modding suspension / chassis on a Cayman / 911 vs. your typical sports cars.

All that said, a tune is kinda tempting to go along with my suspension mods!
Old 12-23-2023, 07:15 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Yeah OTS tunes are not good IMO for any context. Tuning your car at the track though is the best way to do it. Dyno's are cool and all, but you drive your car in the real world and that's where real tuning should happen (IMO).
I agree. M-engineering would be ideal for this situation, where you log during track sessions (or any other scenarios where the car is pushed hard) and can send the file for them to optimize.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:33 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

>> More track specific tires, maybe Cup 2s

FWIW, Cup 2s or any other track-specific compound are absolutely the last thing I would recommend to any newbie track driver. Sure you’ll be ‘faster’, but that’s just the tire talking and not any improvement in your skill (same goes for a tune). Also track compounds provide much less feedback (ie tire squeal) and have a much sharper/narrower breakaway characteristics which aren’t newbie-friendly.

Remember, at a DE event you are only ‘racing yourself’ so invest in a good lap timer and some coaching which will give you a much greater return on investment in terms of improved driving skills than any ‘bolt on’ ever will.
The following users liked this post:
michaelp (12-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 08:26 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

I've modded every car I've owned. I will say that the 992 platform is trickier than most. Sensors have tight tolerances, the suspension can be finicky. Aftermarket is still not fully matured.

Just something to keep in mind if you are newbie to this. Things will go wrong. Be prepared for that and patient with working through issues.

Of course simple things like wheels or cosmetics are no big deal.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:39 PM
badtoro99
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engineering tune is a must on a 992!

Hey Porsche enthusiasts! 🏁 Just snagged an absolute gem—a 992 Carrera S Cabrio with only 6K miles! Managed to get a fantastic deal on it and I'm beyond excited to show it off. Stay tuned for some pics coming your way!

Just revved up the excitement with an M Engineering tune and, let me tell you, it's a complete game changer. It’s like unlocking the true spirit of the Carrera—suddenly, it’s not just fast, it’s electrifying. The install was a piece of cake—super intuitive, even if you're not the biggest tech whiz. The value you get for the horsepower boost is just insane—over 100 hp added! I'm currently enjoying around 115 hp extra thanks to some fine-tuning from M Engineering, and the experience has been nothing short of exhilarating.

For anyone on the fence: go for the tune. Once you've savored that, why not dial it up with an upgraded exhaust and race cats? I’m planning on adding these soon, and though it’s an investment—about 8K—it’s totally worth it because it rockets you right into Porsche Turbo territory. Let’s make those streets our own! 🚗💨

Last edited by badtoro99; 04-17-2024 at 08:48 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by badtoro99:
995 (04-18-2024), DocM (04-18-2024), HOTCHKIS (04-18-2024), Jeff Whitten (04-18-2024), vg247 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
DocM
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm now really tempted to tune the GTS through GIAC (offered by dealership) and add the Akrapovic exhaust (a bit expensive I know). Already have the cargraphic valve controller which scratched the itch but only for a bit. It's really sad state when the "sport exhaust" on a sportscar needs to be upgraded.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:09 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by badtoro99
Hey Porsche enthusiasts! 🏁 Just snagged an absolute gem—a 992 Carrera S Cabrio with only 6K miles! Managed to get a fantastic deal on it and I'm beyond excited to show it off. Stay tuned for some pics coming your way!

Just revved up the excitement with an M Engineering tune and, let me tell you, it's a complete game changer. It’s like unlocking the true spirit of the Carrera—suddenly, it’s not just fast, it’s electrifying. The install was a piece of cake—super intuitive, even if you're not the biggest tech whiz. The value you get for the horsepower boost is just insane—over 100 hp added! I'm currently enjoying around 115 hp extra thanks to some fine-tuning from M Engineering, and the experience has been nothing short of exhilarating.

For anyone on the fence: go for the tune. Once you've savored that, why not dial it up with an upgraded exhaust and race cats? I’m planning on adding these soon, and though it’s an investment—about 8K—it’s totally worth it because it rockets you right into Porsche Turbo territory. Let’s make those streets our own! 🚗💨

my 4GTS manual build locks Monday: already bought 200cats, exhaust, and paid for the M-Engineering tune! Love hearing you love it can’t wait….. hoping that tune helps me keep up with the Gt3’s at cota.
DocM (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 01:55 AM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by badtoro99

Geez , you speak like a sponsored influencer. Fine, I'll buy the tune.
First911GTSTarga (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS - Do aftermarket parts change the experience?