Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Goodyear F1 Summers in Freezing Temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 09:22 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

yeah, here in salt lake city temps just dropped. driving home last night was interesting. 🙃

awaiting newly ordered 19/20 winter tire set.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmslc:
911boy (10-27-2023), detansinn (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 09:31 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Terrible idea to use summers anywhere below 40. Get yourself a second set of wheels and some winters. 911 makes a great four seasons car on the right tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by brownan:
tmslc (10-27-2023), Wilder (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 09:35 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Two things.
1. If you drive summer performance tires in conditions below 40 or even 45, not only can you lose grip, but the colder it gets the potential to damage the tire because it develops cracks in it. Do you really want to drive it 100+ the next summer or a couple years later and have it blow out at that speed because of a condition you caused.
2. Yes. You can park it and only drive it in winter on the nicer days or spring for winters or I guess all seasons and drive it year round.

I have a set of Michelin Alpin PA5s for winter. I swap them on my oem wheels in late October (Denver here) and back to summers in April or so. I have a C2S not a 4S and as everyone can tell you a RWD w Winter rubber is quite capable in snow. Plus the peace of mind you have the right grip in winter and are not damaging your summer tires. Added benefit is your summers will last longer as they get less of your mileage.

2019 I had a Jaguar XKR rwd and took my kids to an indoor pool not knowing any snow was coming. It was October. Nice day. Came out and it was white out. White knuckle drive home. Car slid all over the place and slipped sideways trying to climb hills.
very true. driving in ~ 35 degree temps yesterday drastically change tire characteristics. luckily i timed things so i wasn't out long and my rears are at 5mm anyway so they are getting swapped and hope to get a another 3-4K miles out of them.

car is in the garage until i can get my winter set.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:46 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I have never, ever seen summer tires "crack" from cold, I think that is an old wives tale. Has anyone here actually seen that happen?. I have seen them crack from Ozone exposure.....

The compounds are much softer, so your hazard is in severe loss of traction. as temps drop. I switch to my Ford Ranger or Cayenne GTS on All Seasons for the winter months, but I always take my 992 out at least once a month for a short and slow drive of a few miles to keep the oil circulating in the engine. I am careful to not push the car hard - but no signs of any tire issues as far as "ruining" the summer tires below freezing temps
The following users liked this post:
InfiniteSmiles (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 12:53 PM
m732sg
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have never, ever seen summer tires "crack" from cold, I think that is an old wives tale. Has anyone here actually seen that happen?. I have seen them crack from Ozone exposure.....

The compounds are much softer, so your hazard is in severe loss of traction. as temps drop. I switch to my Ford Ranger or Cayenne GTS on All Seasons for the winter months, but I always take my 992 out at least once a month for a short and slow drive of a few miles to keep the oil circulating in the engine. I am careful to not push the car hard - but no signs of any tire issues as far as "ruining" the summer tires below freezing temps
Kind of where my head is at going into my first winter with my 992. My last M3 had AS3+'s so wasn't an issue.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:41 PM
pnw122
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For context i have a 24 Cayenne Coupe I am picking up tomorrow and will put good winters on it. I only plan to drive the 911 1-2 times per month in the winter, mostly to keep the battery in check and will wait for days its >40. I would say >60% days in the winter months here are >40 anyways.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:45 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

And what exactly would cause the cracking anyway? It can't be simply cold exposure otherwise the same would happen to parked cars -- it must be heat-cycle related. Maybe warming the tires under load and then quick cooling due to low air temps...? Or the whole tire carcass is too cold so the heat from friction can only penetrate superficially? I suspect there would be degrees to potential damage based on max tire surface temps, which can be dialed back based on driving input.

Really curious if anyone can give an actual explanation.
The following users liked this post:
m732sg (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 03:03 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I have never heard of or seen a tire crack due to temp either. I always put winter tires on OEM wheels and get a cool set for summer.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:22 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
I have never heard of or seen a tire crack due to temp either. I always put winter tires on OEM wheels and get a cool set for summer.
it’s says summer tires harden and your braking distance drastically changes (unfavorably) in the manual and on the porsche website.

do what you will i suppose.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:24 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Braking and overall traction is drastically different on summer tires in cold temps. Cracking is strange but I'd never drive on summers in winter....got caught once.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:53 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by m732sg
How realistic is it to swap tires vs entire wheel setups?
The cost at a good shop (you don't have to have the dealer do it as they will charge $150-250 each swap) is $80-95 per swap. So I pay less than $200 a year to swap and I figure I get to keep my oem look and not spend the $$ on extra wheels.

You CAN get the 19/20 base Carrera wheel from Porsche/Suncoast, and in that event you do likely have more options for tires, and the actual tire set will cost a little less at the reduced sizes. They say that more sidewall and narrower tire will help with snow traction. THAT said, my oem wheels look fantastic after 2 winters, and it's easy to grab my 4 tires off the rack in the garage (they weigh less), run them down to the tire shop and then take the car over there. They take care of me well and let me move the car in and out of the bay.

I tend to drive around 2-3k miles or so each winter, trying to drive my car 2-3 days a week if not more. But Denver doesn't get tons of snow, just more sustained cold temps. The tougher part honestly about winter, is keeping the car clean. I prefer to wash it on my own, and don't like taking it anywhere. Hard to do in 30 degree weather. So I pull out the pressure washer and foam cannon on those 60 degree days.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:55 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

While I've never seen or experience cracking myself, and have certainly driven summer tires in even snowy conditions (not recommended) it is definitely real for a least a small number of tire types. Note that the concern is listed as 'cosmetic', but cracks are still cracks. See NHTSA notice here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83781-9999.pdf

Last edited by jlegelis; 10-27-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
And what exactly would cause the cracking anyway? It can't be simply cold exposure otherwise the same would happen to parked cars -- it must be heat-cycle related. Maybe warming the tires under load and then quick cooling due to low air temps...? Or the whole tire carcass is too cold so the heat from friction can only penetrate superficially? I suspect there would be degrees to potential damage based on max tire surface temps, which can be dialed back based on driving input.

Really curious if anyone can give an actual explanation.
I think it is actually the temperatures. To get sticky rubber, they use a compound that loses flexibility in the cold. The tire gets hard and brittle in cold temperatures and therefore cracks as it flexes during operation.

Quick Reply: Using Goodyear F1 Summers in Freezing Temps