Sponsored by:

Thoughts on GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 03:30 PM
PanHopeful
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thoughts on GTS Build

Hi - Working on a build for a daily drive GTS build. By the time I optioned an S, I was within a few $K of a very similarly optioned GTS, so seems to me makes more sense to get a GTS with $19K of options over an S with $36K of options, but curious what others think. I haven't optioned centerlocks. Also, since it is a daily, I don't really want too stiff/harsh of a ride so I haven't optioned the GTS lower suspension. Interested in thoughts on the build below and what I should consider changing and why. Thanks!

Code: PR6UDY21
Old 10-24-2023, 03:55 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Don't care for the puddle lights. Get the illuminated dark illuminated door sills instead.
Don't care for the sunroof. Ruins the lines, especially with that wing. I think you'll be happier with the solid roof.
Personally think FAL is a waste. You will scrape the lip no matter what. Get RAS instead.
PDK
Oh and the LKA and ACC. Those are for your SUV. Are you driving the car, or just riding in it?
The following 4 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
cwbrown (10-25-2023), johnohara (10-24-2023), OKCabriolet (01-22-2024), txpackers (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 04:02 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Don't care for the puddle lights. Get the illuminated dark illuminated door sills instead.
Don't care for the sunroof. Ruins the lines, especially with that wing. I think you'll be happier with the solid roof.
Personally think FAL is a waste. You will scrape the lip no matter what. Get RAS instead.
PDK
Oh and the LKA and ACC. Those are for your SUV. Are you driving the car, or just riding in it?
Yeah, sunroof is a "forget about it" option for sure.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I think the choice between the S and GTS really comes down to what options you really want. Spec'ing a GTS with the raised suspension and non-CL wheels (two things I love about my GTS) seems like you should lean into the S, but then again, you do have the standard race-tex int selected...personally, I like one of the upgraded interiors as that's where you spend your time while driving.

The only other opinion I'll give you on your build is to skip both LKA and ACC. While I haven't had LKA on a car for a while, I found it too intrusive and immediately turned it off. I don't have any experience with ACC and hardly use cruise control on my frequent long drives in my commuter vehicle, but I don't think it's something I'd want on a 911, dd or not...

Good luck on getting an allocation.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:05 PM
PanHopeful
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. Honestly, the only reason I am optioning the LKA and ACC is to get traffic sign recognition and emergency braking. My understanding is without ACC, there is no emergency braking. I don't plan to use LKA or ACC otherwise.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:14 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

You're going to get roasted on certain items you have chosen, so, well...you asked for it.

I happen to like LCA and LKA/ALK. You can always turn them off if you don't like them, however you cannot add them later (I am fairly certain although not entirely sure).

Exterior and interior colors are entirely personal preference. I cannot stand green on my own car, however I do appreciate the value it brings to you. Have you thought about a complimentary color on the inside? Someone else said it above seeing as you spend most of your time inside the vehicle, you might think about having full leather inside.

The aerokit is meh to me, and I wouldn't raise it up any - which lends me to maybe a more loaded up S is for you. FAL is silly unless you actually live in a spot where you would use it, and you might! I can appreciate the PDK and you'll love the extended range gas tank as well.

Get what you want and what you think you'll value and use in your driving experience.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:06 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 199 Posts

I use my sunroof all the time. If you are similarly inclined, go for it. Centerlocks are cool, but most tire shops can't deal with them. RS spyders look great, particularly when you powder coat them gray, silver, or aurum. FAL is useful if you encounter steep driveways, etc that can scrape ... I have it and it remembers all the obstacles I encounter. OTOH, the front lip is a cheap replacement. The standard lowered suspension gives a handling boost at the expense of ride. Will you track the car? Are your local roads pretty smooth? Then get it. If you will likely not track, if your roads are abominable (mine are), the raised suspension is the better choice ... it's the S and GTS Targa suspension, hardly shabby. Puddle lights are cool for about six weeks, then you ask yourself "Why?" I don't think red tach/clock goes with a gray/green car on black ... opinions vary. RAS? I notice it in tight maneuvering, not sure about high speed but I have no non-RAS experience with which to compare. You might consider more leather ... its where you live in the car and I regret not getting the lower door panels in leather.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:16 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

Nice build. I would keep the sunroof as it provides extra light and openness to the car plus when the sun peeks through it feels really nice.
The following users liked this post:
TimD (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:33 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

good luck! you're going to get everone's opinion...

18 ways, extended range tank and premimum pack need to stay

the ride with sport PASM is in no way harsh. end of sentence. (unless you are 75 years old and have had your hips replaced and expect this to be some sort of mercedes. i'll be driving mine at 75 if i make it.) that's core DNA to a GTS. I wouldn't remove it. similar with the centerlocks. if you get a flat, you're calling a flatbed. i hate to say resale but removing those will probably hurt.

under door projectors are tacky if you ask me. arerokit is "meh" FAL is not needed in most areas. ditch those and get RAS

i drive with my sun roof open all the time and love it.

you have LKA and ACC. just get PID. no shame in using cruise control. i use my car as a daily and let me tell you it's nice to just set the ACC late and night and just cruise down the highway. its also great in the couple traffic jams i've been in. it stops and starts you back up. removes the mental overhead and makes TJ slightly less annoying.

oh, and a simple press on the end of the stalk turns all the stuff off for when you want to put the hammer down. if ACC hurts someone's ego they need to be in an air-cooled. that's a man's car :P

add roof top prep and pre-wire

Old 10-25-2023, 11:10 AM
Porschefection
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHopeful
Hi - Working on a build for a daily drive GTS build. By the time I optioned an S, I was within a few $K of a very similarly optioned GTS, so seems to me makes more sense to get a GTS with $19K of options over an S with $36K of options, but curious what others think. I haven't optioned centerlocks. Also, since it is a daily, I don't really want too stiff/harsh of a ride so I haven't optioned the GTS lower suspension. Interested in thoughts on the build below and what I should consider changing and why. Thanks!

Code: PR6UDY21
How about red seatbelts to round out the dials and brakes.

The prep for roof rack could be useful.

Prefer a solid roof on a GTS. I like to spec a GTS to be more GTS than S.

Prefer stick.

Prefer aero kit delete. Always thought the base of the wing looked too thick.

Spider wheels are cool but for me why choose something for a GTS that can be found on an S?

Rear axle steering is a must for me. At the end of the day order what you like.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:24 AM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

Build it how YOU like it. If you have technical questions about the build, by all means ask about them. At the end of the day, all the responses are meaningless because you are not trying to please others with the car that You want.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:40 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
Build it how YOU like it. If you have technical questions about the build, by all means ask about them. At the end of the day, all the responses are meaningless because you are not trying to please others with the car that You want.
This. Every option serves a purpose and provides value at some level. Choose options that provide the most value to you.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (10-26-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefection
How about red seatbelts to round out the dials and brakes.

The prep for roof rack could be useful.

Prefer a solid roof on a GTS. I like to spec a GTS to be more GTS than S.

Prefer stick.

Prefer aero kit delete. Always thought the base of the wing looked too thick.

Spider wheels are cool but for me why choose something for a GTS that can be found on an S?

Rear axle steering is a must for me. At the end of the day order what you like.

Thanks for posting my thoughts and saving me time. Agree with everything (especially the thickness of the aero wing). I just picked up my GTS in Zuffenhausen and don't regret a single option or not getting one.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:01 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
Thanks for posting my thoughts and saving me time. Agree with everything (especially the thickness of the aero wing). I just picked up my GTS in Zuffenhausen and don't regret a single option or not getting one.
I am one who likely will not order another 911 and if I do it won't be for quite some time. Just not financially something I could/should do repeatedly, though there appear to be members here who have had several ordered 992s, often going from one trim to another.

That said, I poured over my build and think I did a great job, am quite happy with the car, but if I had it to do all over again would likely change a few things.

1. I went with Gentian Blue which I love and debated this color vs Chalk. They all look so great, but likely might change for a more subdued color, though I am quite happy.
2. I opted not to get the Aerokit, and I think I would have really liked it.
3. I opted not get colored belts and I should have.
4. I did some fun stuff with my interior, but could have gone bigger, though that would have meant really spending more $$ unnecessarily, and with the cost of the wing, and the chalk upcharge, I probably would have left this off the list.
5. I did not get the Premium Package but did get a lot of what is in it, with the exception of PDLS+ which just added the night cornering and auto-highbeams I think.

My point is there are always options that you could have done differently. That said, I didn't go light on options, the above list would have been quite a bit tacked on.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:16 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

Do the option costs really add up to justify the GTS premium? I could never get the math to work out. But I got a GTS anyway.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GTS Build